Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: appendix carry is painful

The formed in hard wedges aren't for everyone. I'd give AIWB a fair shake with a slick holster first, then add any additional comfort/rotation/tucking as needed.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I've also found moving the pistol more outboard to the 1:30 position in a holster with a wing to tuck it in tight to the body helps me with comfort and concealabilty. I also use a foam wedge to keep the butt tucked tight and aid in comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    In my experience, your issues are common in new AIWB carriers. As @Cory and @Duke have said, it takes a lot of experimentation. It also requires some mental re-training to carry this way comfortably. Keep at it, and you'll get there*.

Now, I vastly prefer it to any other position, and have hiked 100's of miles over rough terrain carrying AIWB.

Here are some things to try:
    JM Custom holster. I've tried a lot of other options, and these are by far my favorite.
    https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-WC2-5.html

More flexible belt. I have an Atlas belt and it's way too stiff for AIWB. Try this:
    https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop

The right wedge or cushion. I invented my own "junk carry pillow", and it makes a huge difference.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....(AIWB-cushion)

*I have one friend who didn't "get there" with AIWB, even after a lot of trying, and it's because he is a "big boy" around the middle. He now carries OWB at 3:30 and is a happy camper.
    I don’t expect it to be super comfortable, but it has been uncomfortable to the point of pain, which is too far. I used to carry a G43 appendix and it was so small I had no issues, but I’ve switched away from that gun for several reasons. Now my P10C is noticeably bigger and heavier. I can get it into a very concealable spot, that’s not an issue. I started with a basic holster, added a wing and wedge I made from a gel heel insert and had the same issues I’m having now. I thought a better holster would help, but maybe it’s just not the right holster for me. I have always heard good things about JMCK, and I like that homemade pillow. I have a more flexible belt (wilderness instructor style) that I can try too. I originally bought this belt for OWB with an HK45 in the winter.

FWIW, I can carry a mid- to medium-large-frame revolver, in the AIWB position, in relative comfort, but have had a very difficult time carrying any autoloader larger than a Glock G42 AIWB. Some of us are just not shaped to match auto-loaders very well. A revolver’s cylinder nestles into my inguinal crease, and the rest of the weapon is nicely thin, with many parts nicely rounded. The Glock G42 is simply slim enough for its blockiness to not matter.

The best AIWB rig, for my individual body, to tote a blocky Glock 19 autoloader, that I have found, is the JM Custom Kydex George. Keep in mind that JM Custom Kydex makes different AIWB rigs for different body shapes, so, a George may not work for you, or any other specific person. Follow JMCK’s guidance, on this.

Notably, of course, my JMCK George, for a G19, is not going to be as comfortable, or comfortable for nearly as long, as a similar JMCK rig for a medium-frame revolver. This is OK, as in my real world, I have mostly reverted to DA revolvers, anyway. (My accuracy potential, especially under stress, or without having trained much, recently, due to factors such as the pandemic, is best with specific DA revolvers.)

To be clear, I am not trying to persuade anyone to switch to revolvers. It can be really difficult to learn long-stroke DA trigger work, without a good on-scene coach/mentor. I had to carry DA revolvers, during the early part of my LEO-ing career, so it was quite simply necessary to train seriously, I had a couple of excellent mentors, and I happened to find that, eventually, I really LIKED long-stroke double-action sixgunning. Once I found that groove, and really got into said groove, I had found my ideal system. I had started handgunning with the 1911 system, and had thought revolvers were quaint, until I learned better.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    I have a more flexible belt (wilderness instructor style) that I can try too. I originally bought this belt for OWB with an HK45 in the winter.
    A more-flexible belt may, indeed, be the solution, but, even the stiffened part of a Wilderness Instructor Belt may be too stiff. If there is enough of the un-stiffened part to make it work, try that part, over the holster, as well as the stiffened area. See what works better.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    FWIW, I can carry a mid- to medium-large-frame revolver, in the AIWB position, in relative comfort, but have had a very difficult time carrying any autoloader larger than a Glock G42 AIWB. Some of us are just not shaped to match auto-loaders very well. A revolver’s cylinder nestles into my inguinal crease, and the rest of the weapon is nicely thin, with many parts nicely rounded. The Glock G42 is simply slim enough for its blockiness to not matter.

The best AIWB rig, for my individual body, to tote a blocky Glock 19 autoloader, that I have found, is the JM Custom Kydex George. Keep in mind that JM Custom Kydex makes different AIWB rigs for different body shapes, so, a George may not work for you, or any other specific person. Follow JMCK’s guidance, on this.

Notably, of course, my JMCK George, for a G19, is not going to be as comfortable, or comfortable for nearly as long, as a similar JMCK rig for a medium-frame revolver. This is OK, as in my real world, I have mostly reverted to DA revolvers, anyway. (My accuracy potential, especially under stress, or without having trained much, recently, due to factors such as the pandemic, is best with specific DA revolvers.)

To be clear, I am not trying to persuade anyone to switch to revolvers. It can be really difficult to learn long-stroke DA trigger work, without a good on-scene coach/mentor. I had to carry DA revolvers, during the early part of my LEO-ing career, so it was quite simply necessary to train seriously, I had a couple of excellent mentors, and I happened to find that, eventually, I really LIKED long-stroke double-action sixgunning. Once I found that groove, and really got into said groove, I had found my ideal system. I had started handgunning with the 1911 system, and had thought revolvers were quaint, until I learned better.
    A k frame aiwb holster is a very comfortable rig. Jmcustom makes a great one.

Ive only recently switched back to autos for edc due to how effed up 2020 and I really don't know whats going to pop up next.

I did 7 hours total drive time, 5 hours on a tattoo table and 2 hours general walking around with this rig yesterday.

Plus a handheld in my left front pocket, micro tech Dirac, wallet etc.

The worst part for me is my Über tight belt and undershirt making it constantly known that I’m wearing it.

Name:  1D450704-A78B-4878-BD51-2D9699422072.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  3AE11329-9E08-49EE-A428-975E18B9A521.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  103.8 KB

I have long carried at 3:30 or so IWB, but I found appendix carry a lot faster and more concealable, and also a bit easier to draw from with my bum right shoulder (~50% tears in two places). I started out AIWB with a J-frame which wasn't bad, but is also a very small, round, lightweight gun.

Lately I've been trying out a Glock 19 in a JMCK AIWB 2.0 and a matching IWB mag pouch ( the fancy adjustable one) for a few months now. The first few times I tried it, even with the pad installed, it wasn't very comfortable. I tinkered with pad placement/orientation, belt loop size adjustment, pants type, and belt tightness, and now I can carry in that position for extended times without much discomfort. The back edge of the holster hitting the junction between thigh/abdomen seems to give me those most discomfort at times, but I've mostly fixed that with ride height and placement adjustments. The "wing claw" for sure helps rotate the butt of the gun inward, but also puts some pressure on that lower edge, depending on belt tightness. After trying it with and without, I decided to keep the wing claw, as the concealment is that much better. Next up to try is making a "junk carry pillow" and maybe try a slightly more flexible belt (currently a Beltman double thickness cowhide, which is pretty stiff).

Second runner up for discomfort was the back inboard corner of the spare mag jabbing me in the belly. The small pad on the magazine pouch didn't help concealment much on the mag, and made the poke worse, so it ended up filling in a space on the back of the holster instead. I'm thin of build, but have a bit of a dad bod going on these days as I get older, less of a gut would help with comfort I am sure. I may try a Vickers base plate to see if the more rounded shape helps avoid that hot spot on the mag corner. I might also try a Glock OEM +2 as well, but I don't think I want to trust any other aftermarket extension on a carry mag.

Small adjustments to height, cant, belt tension, pants type, and gun/holster can make a big difference in comfort. Padding isn't always the answer, and pads/wedges/wings/etc can help or hinder, so its good to experiment a bit before throwing in the towel.

User Tag List