Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: appendix carry is painful

appendix carry is painful

I want to like appendix carry, I think it keeps my pistol in a location that is harder for my kids, or anyone, to get to and it conceals easier. However, I get a painful “hot spot” where the holster presses against me below my belt. I’m fine for like an hour or two and then I’m constantly shifting the holster to try and find a comfortable spot without pain. What am I doing wrong? I’m carrying a CZ P10C in a Phlster Classic with a Volund Gearworks Atlas belt. I tried making an additional wedge with a Dr Scholls gel heel insert (not the best I know) but that didn’t help. Should I just stick to 3:00/4:00?

Not an expert. Whatever works for you and your body type.

Some holsters and some pants I move the gun between full 12 o clock and 2 o clock, experiment with the range available.

Usually the best thing for me is a long barrel or holster, the resides just inside the crease where abdomen meets leg.

If it doesn’t work for you, it doesn’t work… but experiment a little. Maybe one of those flat pads from vdevgru?

Add a wedge.

Raise or lower the whole rig.

Try higher or lower waisted pants.

Try tighter or looser belt.

Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    I want to like appendix carry, I think it keeps my pistol in a location that is harder for my kids, or anyone, to get to and it conceals easier. However, I get a painful “hot spot” where the holster presses against me below my belt. I’m fine for like an hour or two and then I’m constantly shifting the holster to try and find a comfortable spot without pain. What am I doing wrong? I’m carrying a CZ P10C in a Phlster Classic with a Volund Gearworks Atlas belt. I tried making an additional wedge with a Dr Scholls gel heel insert (not the best I know) but that didn’t help. Should I just stick to 3:00/4:00?

This is the way...

https://darkstargear.com/product/muzzle-pad/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post

This is the way...

https://darkstargear.com/product/muzzle-pad/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or get pair of huge ass yoga blocks off Amazon for $14 and have enough to make 200 wedges of any shape.

Been there dude. I bought a pretty expensive holster (Keeper's Concealment) that I knew was really adjustable and worked for people with a similar build. So I absolutely knew my gear wasn't the issue. It still took my a while to find out what worked for me. I had to try alot of different combinations to find one that I thought worked for me. A few things you might want to look at in no particular order:

Pad or wedge - changes the pitch of the pistol grip to barrel.
    No pad or wedge - see above.
    Pant's tightness to pelvic area - If your pants are tight against the holster it can cause rub.
    Pant's waist height - can change where the end of the holster is and thus comfort.
    Where on the belt - closer to navel/midline can mean less interference with legs. For me, being closer to the crease of my leg aids concealment AND comfort.
    Holster cant, or reverse cant - This can make a position you've found comfortable easier to hide.
    Belt tightness - This can impact how much the holster can articulate at the waist as you bend over.
    Holster - Different holsters work better for different people.
    Gun - Not every gun is going to work for everyone.
    Belt - Some belts don't have enough flex, or enough support, to work with you.

The only thing I can say is GUARANTEED to help you carry AIWB easier is making sure you're in shape. Those who are out of shape can absolutely still carry AIWB. But, I've found that building a larger stronger chest and trimming up my waist a little has drastically impacted my carry for the better. It means that shirts can drape better to hide my gun. Thus, I'm able to be even more comfortable and still conceal. Then again, please recognize I'm talking about a Beretta 92 in a Keeper on a Graith belt. My situation will be different than yours.

Another pad option; Dr. Scholl's Women's Massaging Heel Cups, size 6-10 and a bit of Industrial Strength Velcro: (credit: Melody Lauer / "Holster Hack").

Name:  IMG_7510.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  43.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Add a wedge.

These plus raise/lower the wedge on the holster. Makes a huge difference, even with minor adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    These plus raise/lower the wedge on the holster. Makes a huge difference, even with minor adjustments.
    Concur.

And to the basics of the issue - carrying your life saving gear should *not* cause distracting level discomfort.

However - I’m not sure who ever said wearing a 2-3lb, 7-9” long Metal boomerang in your pants would ever be something to label “comfortable”

Totally agree with the issue of fitness. I take a lot of shit for replying “get healthy/in shape” to most life’s Issues.

That’s not to say I assume anyone who abhors aiwb is out of shape...but more than any other type of carry aiwb is body shape dependent imo

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Add a wedge.

All of these things, plus consider a different belt. I don't own an Atlas, but it looks pretty stiff. Stiff is great for strong side carry but maybe not for appendix carry. After trying all the suggestions Duke offered, I found my belts to be the problem. I tried a Mastermind belt and found a winner. I'm neither thin nor in shape but appendix carry is perfect for an untucked Polo shirt. Don't give up.

User Tag List