Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Surefire G2s: What to do

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Malkoff makes great stuff but $47 to upgrade the old light to 230 lumens when a new 600 lumen version is $60 on Amazon just seems inefficient.
    The HUGE advantage of the old G2 is that you can Lego it just like a 6P. It will take ALL the same bezels that fit on a 6P as well as all tailcaps. It can be fitted with UCL glass lenses and take any drop-in intended for the 6P, as long as one keeps the output within reason with the standard G2 plastic bezel. You can install any SF metal bezel intended for the 6P and run any drop-in you want. The G2 is actually a great host for Lego builds, here are two of mine;

The WML is fitted with a Surefire M2 Z32 shock bezel (ebay) and an EDC Plus X60LT P60 XP-L Hi V3 drop-in (560 lumens, 18k candela), fitted to a rail section using a Vltor SMOCG Scout Mount Offset CG. The light goes on and comes off quickly, so I don't have to have it mounted when not needed, or if I need to use the light as a handheld. The tailcap can be backed off to prevent accidental activation, and the total weight as shown with mount and two CR123 lithium batteries is seven ounces.

The G2 below has been fitted with a Malkoff M61LL drop-in (100 lumens) and will run for over 10 hours on a pair of CR123A lithium batteries. I also updated the plastic lens with an UCL glass lens, and the light rides very nicely in a KyTex horizontal holster.

Another point about the G2 is the plastic body is comfortable in the hand, is easy to grip and does not feel as cold in winter weather as a metal bodied flashlight.

With the WML mounted and the second G2 on the belt, I have effective and durable lighting that shares components and batteries. What's not to like?

I ordered the low and low low head to drop in my 2 incans. Also ordered two of the foreend kits for my 870 and M1.

Site Supporter
    Those grenade grip G2 lights were the best lights Surefire ever made. Their new, glued-together nitrolon lights suck in comparison.

I just revived a couple of G2 lights myself and will look into the Malkov conversion.

One thing I will throw out there, if you mount the light forward so the tail cap is solid in the mount along with the body, it greatly reduces AD’s of the light. It only comes on when you push the button, my lights would flash on if any part of the tail cap was bumped if that makes sense.

1000 words

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Buy one of these to see if they work. $11 on A Prime. If it works out buy more.

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Flashl...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Bought one - did not fit in the G2 or a Z2. The base of the bulb is too thick and doesn’t sit deep enough to allow the lens head to be screwed down.

Malkoff makes great stuff but $47 to upgrade the old light to 230 lumens when a new 600 lumen version is $60 on Amazon just seems inefficient.
    I was just about to post the same thing. My first thought was “oh cool, I have several of those around here somewhere” and my second thought was “f-that, I’m not spending $50/light to rehab lights that probably cost me less than that when I bought them new!”

I bought some malkoff bezels for my gen1 p3 and gen2 p6 most,y for nostalgia and then set to fiddle-farting with them and regretted the whole thing Immediatelyy after I got the wrong click tail cap (which I didn’t realize until after I took the OEM one apart), didn’t get the bezels I meant to... stupid rabbit hole of stupid.

I’m thinking the best route at this point is to list the old ones and just buy a bakers dozen of these.
    PolyTac X USB - includes Rechargeable battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DD53KC..._ACoxFbXCRHW0B
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Bought one - did not fit in the G2 or a Z2. The base of the bulb is too thick and doesn’t sit deep enough to allow the lens head to be screwed down.
    Well shit. I bought one for an old SF 870 firearm and it worked fine. Thought they took
    The same bulb assembly.

It went on this.

Name:  8A7830BF-2A27-4628-A5A7-9C38BDD63054.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  23.9 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I just had two come in. I tried one in my original 6P, I had to remove the big spring and it fit. I’m thinking that if I trim the spring it will work ok, but I may just send them back.

Edit - I just looked at the listing again, and they mention removing the large outer spring for the 6P. I’ll look for one of my older G2s and see how it works.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Bit of a swerve fellas but need a rec. on a replacement head for the SF in the center & a new drop in for the Z2 on the right?

Looking for something w/ good spill plus some distance throw & disregard the LNIB X200B on the left unless ya know someone that WTB it.

Name:  IMG_0849.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  81.5 KB

User Tag List