Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Surefire G2s: What to do

Old Surefire G2s: What to do

I’m on a mission to get my ducks in a row and that has progressed to my lighting. Went through my closet and I have about 10 old Surefire G2s from the 60 lumen incandescent to the 200/15 lumen LED Pros. I haven’t bought a light since 200 lumens was the latest hotness.

It looks like the new 600 lumen G2 are $60.

Is there any cost effective way to utilize the old lights and get them up to modern standards or should I just consider them disposable and buy the new G2? I’d prefer not to jack around around With the lights, I’ve always loved the simplicity of the G2 so I don’t want to click 3 times slow for low and 3 times fast for strobe. The Pro interface is acceptable.

Malkoff has lots of drop in heads for $45 with 20% off so I could try to save some of these for just over half of a new one...? @NH Shooter @Totem Polar
    Last edited by Bratch; 09-06-2020 at 11:26 PM. Reason: 6

I used one in a weaver ring attached to a short base on an AR handguard at 11:00. Works fine as a simple and economical weapon light. I think the highest output lamp I have is 120 lumen. Its enough for my yard and uses.

If you decide they are undesirable, let me know, I wouldnt mind having a couple-few more.

Name:  Light 2.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  34.0 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I’m on a mission to get my ducks in a row and that has progressed to my lighting. Went through my closet and I have about 10 old Surefire G2s from the 60 lumen incandescent to the 200/15 lumen LED Pros.
    Is there any cost effective way to utilize the old lights and get them up to modern standards or should I just consider them disposable and buy the new G2? @NH Shooter @Totem Polar
    Yes, absolutely - the Malkoff drop-ins are a great way to go about updating the G2!

The only potential issue with the G2 is you will have to limit the output of the drop-in to avoid overheating it - the plastic bodies do not pull the heat out of the drop-in like metal bodies/bezels do. Considering that I would recommend the Malkoff M61L drop-in that is rated for 230 lumens and is rated for use in plastic-body lights.

FWIW, I have several of the G2s myself and use the above-mentioned drop-in. It provides plenty of light and is comfortable to hold, especially in cold weather.

Site Supporter
    Agreed on the Malkoff upgrade for a G2 - I updated one of mine.

Please send them to me for disposal.

I won't throw 'em away, I'll get more LED replacement bulb assemblies from Optics Planet.

Put one in a Surefire 6p, has held up perfectly , and very bright. Gotta get a couple more for my own 2 G2s that're gathering dust.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sportac...ashlights.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I’m on a mission to get my ducks in a row and that has progressed to my lighting. Went through my closet and I have about 10 old Surefire G2s from the 60 lumen incandescent to the 200/15 lumen LED Pros. I haven’t bought a light since 200 lumens was the latest hotness.

It looks like the new 600 lumen G2 are $60.

Is there any cost effective way to utilize the old lights and get them up to modern standards or should I just consider them disposable and buy the new G2? I’d prefer not to jack around around With the lights, I’ve always loved the simplicity of the G2 so I don’t want to click 3 times slow for low and 3 times fast for strobe. The Pro interface is acceptable.

Malkoff has lots of drop in heads for $45 with 20% off so I could try to save some of these for just over half of a new one...? @NH Shooter @Totem Polar
    The correct answer for the g2's is a Malkoff.

correctly they cannot run sustained over a certain amount of output as the head cannot take the heat.

However they can run short-term on the higher output heads.

You can also get a multi-level head that you just have to be careful not to run on the high mode for very long.

The G2X's are much more difficult to get the heads off and be sure you can do so without damaging if you want to upgrade the head.

My most used flashlight is a g2 with a neutral low 5-hour runtime head in it. I may get the low low neutral head...... for every day tasks it's probably a better output.

Site Supporter
    Concur re Malkoff and the lower output M61 for the turnkey approach.
    Malkoff, like surefire of old, is spot on to a bit conservative re lumens output.
    If Malkoff says 230, if will be no less than that and will often be perceptibly brighter than other lights advertised in the 250-350 range.

Alternatively, there is a fairly vigorous resale maker for all things surefire and you could sell off the lot and buy/configure a couple of lights.

Site Supporter
    Another vote for the Malkoff M61L. This drop in will avoid any likelihood of overheating the light while providing reasonably good output and excellent runtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Yes, absolutely - the Malkoff drop-ins are a great way to go about updating the G2!

The only potential issue with the G2 is you will have to limit the output of the drop-in to avoid overheating it - the plastic bodies do not pull the heat out of the drop-in like metal bodies/bezels do. Considering that I would recommend the Malkoff M61L drop-in that is rated for 230 lumens and is rated for use in plastic-body lights.

FWIW, I have several of the G2s myself and use the above-mentioned drop-in. It provides plenty of light and is comfortable to hold, especially in cold weather.
    Malkoff makes great stuff but $47 to upgrade the old light to 230 lumens when a new 600 lumen version is $60 on Amazon just seems inefficient.

Buy one of these to see if they work. $11 on A Prime. If it works out buy more.

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Flashl...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List