Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had one hour and TEN Drills What would you do to make yourself better?

If you had one hour and TEN Drills What would you do to make yourself better?

I really wanted this thread to be thoughtful, so I have been reading some of TLG’s articles from a few years ago. They are still relevant today.
    I am wanting to find some of the best TEN drills. I say ten because there really is so many great drills. Some will focus on one thing or the other. One of you, in a few will say “What do you want to do?” So lets start with taking an experienced shooter with limited time and resources, and I want to start narrowing down to a handful of drills that:
    1) make the best use of time and ammo for experienced shooters.
    2) Break down skills drawing from a concealed posture in a high threat environment. I think this is really important, we as responsible adults are taking our security seriously, and in this current riot for free shit climate, the need for staying on top of skills is even more important. Draw from concealment, put rounds on multiple targets, move, and communicate to X (could be a kid/s, spouse, family, friend).
    3) maybe someone smarter will tell what to put here. So I will leave room for more.
    But lets be real, we have families, kids, jobs, homes, and responsibilities. Sometimes we just don’t have time do go spend a full day every week/two weeks/month. I hope that you would be doing skills training as much as possible, whether it be a dry fire, or draw, or whatever at home. But, lets as a collective put our heads together and figure it out.
    You may have a few drills you do when you go to the range. Bill Drill, Fast, El Presidente are all good drills, but what do you do and why. If you had an hour, and had 10 drills to run twice what are they? How many targets? Distance? Rounds?
    10 Drills run twice one hour. What is the best to retain or improve skills of an experienced shooter.

Whats on your mind?

Site Supporter
    I usually don’t do that many different drills in an hour. If it’s the only time I’ll go for a month, I will work draw from concealment to a single round at contact, arms length, 3yds, 5yds, 7yds. Maybe move side to side or draw and move at an angle while getting off a single or pair. All shooting at a 3x5.

Then a 2” dot or regular bull Bill at 3-7 yards for recoil control.

If i do those right, with intensity, that could easily eat my hour in a profitable way. And I can use dry-fire at home for ten minutes a couple times per week to reinforce them.

It depends on what you want to be when you grow up. LAPD D Platoon quals might serve a working cop well, while a normal citizen might benefit more from the short end of the Hackathorn Standards (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....horn-Standards).

Absent a more specific answer, Hack Standards plus the Humbler (https://pistol-training.com/drills/the-humbler) for the masochistic and/or cocky among us.

If that's not enough, shoot all of them on the move and/or in low light.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I think trying to shoot several different drills while working on skills improvement is a mistake. Especially at higher skill levels, improvement is going to take a lot of repetitions. I'd be better off shooting 1R2 (from concealment) a bunch of times if I want to improve those skills than shooting various drills.

For me, shooting recognized drills is more useful for me to compare myself to others to see if I have a particular deficiency in some area.

I generally use Justin Dyal's Five Yard Roundup or the FAST as a baseline.

Despite what I said above, I think there are some drills that can be useful for improvement. Those are one's like Frank Garcia's Dot Drill or Jody's 99 drill. Those have enough repetition to actually build skill. They work better when the same skills are practiced in dry fire with substantially more reps. Jody's drill is actually a pretty good one hour practice session on its own.

Thank You, All three of you are great contributors here.

@Duelist has
    Single round Draw from concealment at 3/5/7
    Bill Drill
    2” dot or regular bull Bill at 3-7 yards for recoil control

@okie john has
    LAPD D Platoon quals might serve a working cop well, while a normal citizen might benefit more from the short end of the Hackathorn Standards (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....horn-Standards)
    Hack Standards plus the Humbler (https://pistol-training.com/drills/the-humbler)

And Low light is a great idea too. Although the allies in Miami OK are pretty much non existent.

@joshs has
    1R2 (from concealment) - Can you please expand on the drill for the lame like myself.
    Justin Dyal's Five Yard Roundup or the FAST
    Dot Drill
    Jodys 99

Thank you all for your input, I will try to keep a Tally as more respond.

Site Supporter
    A drill I almost always do is the Five Yard Roundup. It works speed to first round on target and multiple shots freestyle, strong and support hand and only takes ten rounds to do it. I find it really helpful when switching from my full size PX4 to my P99C or my 642. If I screw up part of it I’ll work on that part.

Not a full answer, but could be a useful part.

ETA: I see @joshs beat me to it. Him smart fella.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 09-06-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    Double tap.

1R2 would just be draw, shoot 1, reload, shoot 2.

I agree that ten drills is too many at one session. I like the examples already given. Another angle would be to take a qualification course, for example the Gunsite Pistol standards (or whatever you like), and whatever areas you are weak in work drills for reps on those areas.

BTW, one of my favorite drills when limited for time or equipment is the Test and its various iterations.

In my mind, there are drills, then there are tests/evaluations.
    “Googling” Ken Hackathorn and Clint Smith drills will get you their 100 round suggestions; some might say dated, but I think a good place to start. Dry fire with duty or concealment a real necessity. John Hearne made a comment years ago that stuck with me: 10 dry draws and snaps every day would be very beneficial.
    Evaluations? Dot torture, 5 yard roundup, “The Test”(and variations) and some shooting at 25, 50 and perhaps 100 yards on a steel silhouette just because...
    This site has hundreds of tests and evaluations which are very valuable; well run by “Mr. White”. I would always recommend class(es) from Gunsite to Rogers to any of the capable people mentioned here, to include White, Givens, etc.
    Best of luck in your journey.

Edit: oh, and if you have the capability/facility, low light/flashlight work. Cheers!
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 09-06-2020 at 06:58 PM.

I used to shoot the old 90 round IDPA Classifier several times per year. I timed, scored, taped and recorded each string not just each stage. That way I knew what I needed to work on. There was a lot of information on the net to tell you how you measured up to everybody else.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....DPA-Classifier

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...-expertmaster/

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/7...ace-breakdown/

User Tag List