Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some More Time-Sensitive Enabling

$1045!

Yes it did!

Dang, Iv'e got my old 19-3 that I never shoot, and at those prices I am tempted to stick it on the block!

I really need to clean this thing, I just realized how dirty it is in this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    $1045!

Yes it did!

Dang, Iv'e got my old 19-3 that I never shoot, and at those prices I am tempted to stick it on the block!

I really need to clean this thing, I just realized how dirty it is in this pic.

^^^P&R, reasonably clean... don’t you dare put it on gunbroker. Keep it to flex on the poors.

Not as smexy as the DSS gun, but I’m happy with this one, which was less OTD than the sticker:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That escalated quickly, as they say.

ETA: Now I feel torn. Between elation over what I just paid for a nice 2 1/2” 19, and mild shock watching this thing catch fire and burn through the bids like they’re a dumpster behind a Portland courthouse.

I typed out a reply to this while chuckling in response to the absolute accuracy of it, then deleted it.

Instead I will just laugh and say. OUCH! lol!

I was actually just coming here to make a post asking why retards think "bid sniping" works on GunBroker, specific to this listing. There's a 15 minute rule on GunBroker, unlike eBay (or ebay of yesteryear, maybe they've gone to that 15 minute rule as well).

Just bid what you're actually willing to pay for the fucking gun. Look at the ridiculous bid history with this eljefe guy.

Yes, I'm suspecting it's a DSS gun which is why I'm bidding on it. Seller never responded to my inquiry on the the serial number prefix, DSS guns commonly being (but not limited to) AND, ANN, ANY, ANP and AYY. Prior to the creation of DSS following the Beirut Bombings and Inman Commission, the predecessor agency, Office of Security (abbreviated SY) bought random guns from post-to-post to arm their agents and Marine Security Guards. Following the creation of the Diplomatic Security Service in the mid-80s, DSS standardized on the S&W Model 19-5 with a matte finish and wide/smooth trigger. The original batch of guns in the AND range came with regular wood panels, and it appears every batch after that came with the Pachy Professional Compacts. Finishes differ on production runs from very matte to a satin sheen.

In 1993, DSS began transitioning to Glocks and after a hundred were issued and with only 4 months of use, DSS recalled the Glocks and switched to the SIG P228. The last recorded qualification of a S&W Model 19 as an individually carried weapon was recorded in 2006, and agents qualified on the weapon during the Basic Field Firearms Officers Course (range safety officer/instructor course) up until about 2019. Many Model 19-5s remain in inventory through posts worldwide, due to State's strange structure and how DSS can't really force posts overseas to send the guns back......so, many posts retained the weapons as there was no one-for-one exchange. Up to current day, though not frequent it's not uncommon to have met agents who carried one at a post while waiting for their personally assigned SIG/Glock to arrive.

The S&W Model 19 2.5" was accompanied by the Model 19 4" round butt for issue to Marine Security Guards until switching to a system where MSGs at post carried USMC weapons systems, that being the Beretta 92. DSS began transitioning to the Glock 19M in late 2017, and also has now begun transitioning MSGs to the DSS-issued Glock 19Ms as well. The S&W Model 19 was also accompanied in service by the Ruger SP101 2.25" .38 Special with a Commander-style hammer, purchased in 1990. These were purchased specifically for principle officers (ambassadors, consuls, etc) to carry at their own discretion if desired, and also domestically as a special-issue undercover gun. The New York Field Office retained 5 SP101s as of 2018, though I'm not sure if anywhere else still has them.

Standard issue ammo for all revolvers was the 38 125gr Nyclad.

I have an AND with wood stocks, and an ANN with Professional Compacts. In addition to wanting to collect them myself, I am on "retainer" by several agents who may/may not be in a position to buy one of these due to vagaries of the job's lifestyle. These can go for as little as $500 with people thinking they're some random shit-refinish beater gun, up to $1650 when the seller knows what they have. There were less than 1000 of the DSS Model 19-5 2.5" guns made, with many of them being sold off to a distributor for resale in the mid 90s just prior to the change in federal law preventing the resale of federal LE guns.

Unfortunately, this one was not to be for me, as I set my limit at $1200. I might have put down more money if I had assurances of its provenance.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-06-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Up to $1,225 with 6 minutes to go. (The time keeps being extended.)

And that's the knock-down price.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 09-06-2020 at 02:38 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ^^^P&R, reasonably clean... don’t you dare put it on gunbroker. Keep it to flex on the poors.

Not as smexy as the DSS gun, but I’m happy with this one, which was less OTD than the sticker:
    You got a nice one!

I actually picked it up for an older gal who was having some issues and needed a handgun, so I found her one. She then changed her mind, so I stuck it in my safe. This was years ago when they did not command much of a premium and I figured I would just use it for a house gun if needed.

@TGS with the knowledge bombs.

#wearenotworthy

TGS,

Now that I know this I will put that intel in my phone notes and if I find one I will let you know.

Thanks for the lookout, @Lost River. Tagging @Bruce Cartwright as well, since he's in to old LE revolvers.

I was taking a med course today, but was just able to get a picture of the two of mine together. I found a guy on the S&W forum that had one but didn't seem to have any particular interest in its history, so I sent him a PM to inquire about buying it. He said that since he had posted a thread about it, he decided to get it gold plated. Absolutely horrendous, gaudy piece of work.

Name:  DSSpair.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  82.1 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Gold plating such a gun ought to be a criminal offense.

Unit/Agency guys who are gun guys ought to get first crack at guns that were part of the history of their outfits.

If I can help facilitate that I'd be happy to, and I am pretty sure Bruce feels the same way.

User Tag List