Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some More Time-Sensitive Enabling

$1225 out the door. Sheesh.

The 2.5" Model 19 was the first firearm that I personally owned. I got it in the early 90's and it's long since gone. I often regret not keeping it . I keep my eyes open for another, but if this auction is any indication, I may not be able to afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Gold plating such a gun ought to be a criminal offense.

Unit/Agency guys who are gun guys ought to get first crack at guns that were part of the history of their outfits.

If I can help facilitate that I'd be happy to, and I am pretty sure Bruce feels the same way.
    Ditto.....even though I've got two for myself, I've got verbal agreements with several other agents who have asked to buy one in their absence and hold it for them.

The 4" Model 19 round-butts that were issued to the MSGs are super hard to find since they had the regular polished blue finish, so they tend to get lost in the shuffle and are a needle in a haystack.

If anyone has a legacy (pre-lock) S&W wheel gun that has some peculiarity that's different from the standard catalogue model, it really pays off to get a provenance letter from the S&W historian. S&W did so many special orders, so even if a person themself doesn't care their gun was a special run for some obscure agency, there's guaranteed to be a collector who cares very much. The DSS 2.5" Model 19s were ordered under SKU 100701. The product code for the Ruger SP101s was KSP-821DOS. Unfortunately most people don't know what they have so the automatic notifications I have on gunbroker are mostly useless, and I browse through what's on auction once or twice a week.

Similarly, if there's anyone here who is on the lookout for a retired agency gun, shoot me a message. I'm basically the gunbroker version of those range goblins that scour your shooting position for spent brass.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

[QUOTE=TGS;1109502]Thanks for the lookout, @Lost River. Tagging @Bruce Cartwright as well, since he's in to old LE revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Gold plating such a gun ought to be a criminal offense.

Unit/Agency guys who are gun guys ought to get first crack at guns that were part of the history of their outfits.

If I can help facilitate that I'd be happy to, and I am pretty sure Bruce feels the same way.
    TGS and Lost River:

I will keep my eyes open. I just found a pristine S&W Model 19-2 for a friend. You never know what you re going to come across.

As to agency guns and history, I fully agree. I had a S&W Registered magnum issued to me right before I retired. If there was any way I could have bought that as my "service" gun, I would have. Unfortunately retiring feds are not allowed to do that unlike many of my state and local brothers and sisters. The folks at my old job just think of that gun as an "old 357...". Along those lines, keep an eye out for old agency leather. I found a three cell revolver speed loader pouch in black nylon from the Bureau that was going to e discarded. Most have no idea that it was an original SWAT issue revolver speed loader case. Again folks at my old outfit throw stuff like that away because no one uses revolvers anymore. So much for history....

I will keep looking for any DSS guns and let you know. One of the coolest guns (although not quite as cool as a Registered magnum and a 1928 US Navy overstamp Thompson SMG) I came across was a Naval Investigative Service round butt factory original S&W Model 19 with a yellow front sight insert. I almost got that one assigned to me. I am semi looking for a New Hampshire State Police S&W Model 66 commemorative or an agency gun with known, verified provenance. My first partner was a NHSP Trooper. He was a true friend and mentor who passed away before his time. A NHSP wheelgun would be a nice addition to the patch from his class A uniform.

So, here is a wild idea. Should we generate some sort of list/post (I think they call it a "sticky"?) that folks could reference about the type of guns they are looking for at least as it concerns revolvers?

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

The 4" Model 19 round-butts that were issued to the MSGs are super hard to find since they had the regular polished blue finish, so they tend to get lost in the shuffle and are a needle in a haystack.
    @Tamara

I have posted this before. This is not an MSG gun. It is a POW. It is the first handgun I owned and it started life as a 2.5” Model 19. I shot it enough that I cracked the forcing cone. At the time I was friends with the SY Weapons Program officer. I had no clue what was wrong with it and showed it to him. He was the one who told me I had a cracked forcing cone and that he would get it fixed. When he returned it to me, it had a 4” barrel on it. After I got over the surprise it grew on me. I replaced the Pachmayr grips with the Craig Spegels that are on them in the pic.

Name:  E7B31A72-570A-4EC7-A61B-03C2AB51B2B9.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  38.0 KB

This has been a cool thread. Another StephanieB revolver classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This has been a cool thread. Another StephanieB revolver classic.
    In honor of all wheelgun chicks who make the world go'round, here's the first female SY (DSS) Special Agent, "Pistol Packin'" Patti Morton. She carried her gun a clutch since female clothes at the time precluded the use of a belt holster. Special Agent Morton passed away in 2019. Also attached, another staged photo of range training in the 80s using the S&W Model 19-5 2.5".

Name:  Patti.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  23.0 KB

Name:  80srange.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  53.6 KB

I might not carry revolvers as my primary EDC, but you're surely a soulless Commie heathen if you don't enjoy these revolver threads (thanks @StephanieB)
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

^^^A cuppa joe, a cuppa saucer...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    In honor of all wheelgun chicks who make the world go'round, here's the first female SY (DSS) Special Agent, "Pistol Packin'" Patti Morton. She carried her gun a clutch since female clothes at the time precluded the use of a belt holster. Special Agent Morton passed away in 2019.

Name:  Patti.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  23.0 KB
    Here is Patti Morton's obit that was written by the National Museum of American Diplomacy, the DoS's article on her, her obit, which mentioned that she got more grief from the other women at DoS than from the men, and her Wikipedia page, which is sparse AF.

She wrote the evacuation plan for the Saigon embassy. She wasn't permitted to stay to put it into practice, as her supervisors thought that Saigon in 1975 was no place for a woman and ordered her to leave the country.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 09-08-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    One of the coolest guns (although not quite as cool as a Registered magnum and a 1928 US Navy overstamp Thompson SMG) I came across was a Naval Investigative Service round butt factory original S&W Model 19 with a yellow front sight insert.
    @TGS -

I was assigned to an Organized Crime Task Force at the FBI - Dallas Division from 1987 - 1986 and got to witness lots of gun stuff, courtesy of the late Robert P. Butler, Police Training Coordinator and legend in Texas LE training circles. Bob went around teaching FBI Firearms Instructor Schools around Texas (sometimes towing a bass boat with the BuCar, but that's another set of stories). I knew Bob long before I was assigned to that TF. We were learning much about ammo at this point (being a year after Miami) and it was a privilege to be part of the inside knowledge track for that program and to get to discuss the findings with Bob.

There were many 3" Model 13 RB issued guns in the Division, but I noted lots of the SWAT agents had that NIS Model 19 4" RB with the yellow front insert. Also around there were a few of the experimental Model 10 2 1/2" revolvers. I must confess that I deeply coveted one of those NIS revolvers!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    @TGS -

(sometimes towing a bass boat with the BuCar, but that's another set of stories). !
    He sure would have fit in around where I work!

User Tag List