Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new to pistol forums but have some questions

Quote Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post
    i understand your concern. but like i said i fired expert with a m45 every time i used it and the army give you plenty of trianing in using one.
    M45 in the Army?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Buy a Glock 19.

Site Supporter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEU(SOC)_pistol. Did it actually get issued to the Army? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    M45 in the Army?
    just to keep this from becoming a shoot out i know how to use weapons. i do not need any advice from anyone on how to use one. i asked about the glock, not how to handle a weapon. so let's just keep it at how to purchase a pistol and the different brands of pistols so i find one that is a good pc. and i don't have to worry if it will work if i ever have to use it. so far the consensus is not to get a kit. and one sent me links to getting these assembled and ready to use if needed. that is what i'm asking about, not on how to use one and or training or permits. the local gun shop told me i do not need a purchase permit online only form them in the store. i do not need a license it is kept in the house.

thanks

Site Supporter
    Good video by an army veteran with combat experience on what qualifying as an expert in the army means in relation to shooting ability.

Last edited by Caballoflaco; 09-07-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Look 9mm:
    Glock 19 or 17 (gen 3, 4, or 5)
    M&P 2.0 or Shield 2.0
    Beretta APX/92/PX4
    Sig 226, 320
    HK VP9, P30
    just to keep this from becoming a shoot out i know how to use weapons. i do not need any advice from anyone on how to use one. i asked about the glock, not how to handle a weapon. so let's just keep it at how to purchase a pistol and the different brands of pistols so i find one that is a good pc. and i don't have to worry if it will work if i ever have to use it. so far the consensus is not to get a kit. and one sent me links to getting these assembled and ready to use if needed. that is what i'm asking about, not on how to use one and or training or permits. the local gun shop told me i do not need a purchase permit online only form them in the store. i do not need a license it is kept in the house.

thanks
    I'm not sure there's anything more to add than what Gadfly wrote in post #6 of this thread. No one here likes the idea of you building out a 80% frame. If you just want affirmation for the Ruger, then sure, get the Ruger. They are better than a lot of lower end pistols, but on this forum, Rugers autoloaders are generally considered second tier pistols. I own 7 of the 11 pistols Gadfly listed, and have shot 10 of the 11. I'd be comfortable using any of them as a home defense pistol.

Do you want some one to list another dozen pistols? Well, I'd throw CZ into the mix--either one of the CZ75 line of pistols or their P10 striker fired pistols or a P07/P09. I already mentioned the S&W SD9VE, which gets us to 15 pistols. Maybe look into a FN 509, a Springfield XDM, a Walther PPQ, a Walther Creed, or some sort of 1911 in 9mm. That brings the list to 20, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Start with Gadfly's list and if you can't find any of those, then move to the ones I listed. There are a lot of right answers to your question. What is "best" for you is subjective and will be non-obvious even to you. Then answer is not hidden somewhere on the internet.

just to keep this from becoming a shoot out i know how to use weapons. i do not need any advice from anyone on how to use one. i asked about the glock, not how to handle a weapon. so let's just keep it at how to purchase a pistol and the different brands of pistols so i find one that is a good pc.
    Go to a local gun shop and buy from a quality maker. Avoid 80 percent kits. Fill out the paperwork and do the background check. Take a class on Michigan laws and use of deadly force aspects.

With all due respect, the Alabama penal system is chock full of dudes that knew how to use guns. Without fail, every class I teach most of the students have little to no understanding of Alabama law when it comes to self defense.

Most buy a gun, ammo, and say "I'm good".

Like this guy:

https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/2...athan_sco.html

Regards.

thanks
    Thank's for your long service in the Armed Forces. I think you've gotten some good advice ref. the Glock. I will say that I've been carrying and training with handguns in law enforcement since the late '70's and I've picked up new knowledge from training with some of the folks I named in my first post. This is a forum with lots of high level shooters from the handgun target, gaming, military and L.E. venues and the first commonality is that we all understand that there are things we can improve on and expand our knowledge on how to operate a handgun. If you keep an open mind and don't mind being somewhat humble you'll pick up some jewels of knowledge. If you don't need or desire any new knowledge, the other commonality you'll hear is, "You Do You, Bro." Again, welcome to the Forum.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    thanks i'm looking for a plain jane gun as far as training. after 22 years in the army and holding expert in the m16 m45 m60 and m89 i think i have plenty of training. i found out i do not a licence to have one in the home or to carry it to a range in a case and disassembled enough to not be readily able to shoot. just like hunting rifles. that is michigan law thanks for the concern.
    No disrespect but How long ago were you in the Army and what did you do in the army ?

The average solder shoots 160 or so rounds per year from the M4/M16 - which is their primary weapon. That is not a lot. Those in combat and combat support units will shoot more but most soldiers will never use a pistol or only do a familiarization fire.

Bad news - The Army pistol qual is pathetic, does not reflect real world conditions and hasn’t changed since you were in.

The good news is the Army has made some great strides in training and has a new rifle rifle qual which is more difficult, is realistic and does reflect real world conditions.

As part of the effort to improve training, the latest Army manual on pistol shooting, FM 3-23.35 is actually a very good base for how to effectively shoot a pistol.

You can read FM 3-23.35 online for free here:

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/tc3-23-35.pdf

Site Supporter
    Thank you for your service. I hope you stick around and learn a thing or two....

No 80%. Buy a gun that "is", not "is as good as..."

Lots of good advice here, if you are willing.

pat

User Tag List