Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new to pistol forums but have some questions

new to pistol forums but have some questions

i have a few rifles but never had much use for a pistol. but now things being as they are i'm looking to get a pistol for home protection. i researched to the point of getting a glock only because so fat i find they are a lot of interchangeability in them if i wanted to do any. but 9mm is a good choice for stopping power being it seems to be the police and fbi choice weapon. i have been looking online for a glock kit as these seem to be the best kits i have found but have yet to find a company that has these that will return emails. so i tried the glock forum and after a week they will not send me confirmation emails to be registered so maybe this site has the help i need to locate these kits.

i see they are called 80% kits that you have to do some work on to finish them and they have a working pistol. so anyone happen to know of any sites that will return questions? i tried the glockgunstore they say they sell the complete unit but the way he wanted me to pay for one looked so much like a scam that i backed out until i find others that say that is a good place. unless there are others that have these kits and will return inquires. the glock gunstore wanted me to pay western union or moneygram and that would give me no assurance that i would get the pistol so i backed out. i want to use paypal and then discovered they do not allow it. so that guy said google pay but that looks fishy also.

so maybe here some have places that sell these in kits that are real and are not scammers. thanks

Not to be too harsh, guy, but your post is hard to read. Basic grammer, punctuation and sentence structure can really be your (and our) friend.

Ok, back to your basic question: Just get a Glock G17/G19/G45 and start from there. You don't need to overthink things.

Best, Jon

@corvairbob Welcome to the forum! You will get some answers here.

thanks i see lots of so called seller online and i'm a bit leary of getting anything from them. so i joined this site to see if others will tell me to stay away. and for instructions and places to get items for pistols. i website i was at only wanted western union and moneygram or bitcoin payments. kind of sounded like those places that want you to get amazon gift cards to pay for something. so i did not go any further until people here say that place is a good reputable place to get pistols from.

so maybe someone wil chime in and let me know about the ggs place. thanks for the welcome.

Site Supporter
    1. Buy a standard Glock in 9mm. If you are trying to avoid some kind of detection of gun ownership, if it came to that - you are talking about paying through electronic means and posting here. So they got you.

2. Get training.

I would NOT start my pistol journey trying to build an 80%. Even when done perfectly, they are not up to the task of getting your life on. 80% stuff IMO is gimmicky at best, a fun plinker project, but not a serious option.

Your problem right now is finding “in stock”, and not at scalpers prices. Mid Pandemic, escalating riots, Pre huge election is the worst time to start looking for a deal on a pistol.

Look 9mm:
    Glock 19 or 17 (gen 3, 4, or 5)
    M&P 2.0 or Shield 2.0
    Beretta APX/92/PX4
    Sig 226, 320
    HK VP9, P30

Glock being my first choice, the others being what you can find in stock. Stuff can be found if you look a little. Mags may be a bit higher priced than normal, but can still be for most guns.

As for Pistol-Form... Read lots, soak up info here. There is lots to be had if you set your brain on “receive”.

Welcome to the forum.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Warm welcome from Tampa Bob.

Although I have not used them, the web site GT Distributors has a positive impression in my mind, and would be worth checking out. They sell Glocks.

https://www.gtdist.com/

If you are looking to save money, consider joining the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation. As a new two-year member ($60.00), you will receive a pistol purchase coupon you can use to buy a Glock at GSSF pricing at a participating GSSF gun store (example: Glock 19 Gen 5 $425.00)

More on GSSF:

http://www.gssfonline.com/

GSSF Pricing Sheet:

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pisto...nformation.pdf

I am afraid I don't know too much about "Glock kits", so I will defer to others on that. Good luck on your choice, and again, welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I would NOT start my pistol journey trying to build an 80%.
    This and the rest of his post is good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    1. Buy a standard Glock in 9mm. If you are trying to avoid some kind of detection of gun ownership, if it came to that - you are talking about paying through electronic means and posting here. So they got you.

2. Get training.
    thanks i'm looking for a plain jane gun as far as training. after 22 years in the army and holding expert in the m16 m45 m60 and m89 i think i have plenty of training. i found out i do not a licence to have one in the home or to carry it to a range in a case and disassembled enough to not be readily able to shoot. just like hunting rifles. that is michigan law thanks for the concern.

I would suggest you get a Glock 19 not a kit. Look at posts about safe storage and safe carry of your handgun. Review holster types and their level of retention. Look at forum posts about the steps to drawing a handgun and obtaining a "master grip." Buy a case of training ammo and a few hundred rounds of what is recommended here and verify your new gun has no fleas with 300 ball and 100 defensive rounds, buy some small paper plates and index cards. On a silhouette target raw a circle on the upper chest between the nipples with your plate as a template, draw a box the size of the index card in the eye area, run your target out to 3 yards and practice until you can put 2 in the circle and one in the box in 5 seconds. When you can do that move the target another yard away and repeat. Do this until you get to 15 yards. Then look at reducing your times. Do some dry firing. Every shot you fire on the range should be analyzed as to what you did right and what you did wrong.

Look at forum posts about "moving off the X." Look at forum posts about moving and shooting, cover vs. concealment, drawing and shooting from inside or around a vehicle. Look at youtube video from folks named Bolke, Dobbs, Seeklander, Pressburg, Vickers, Leatham. Once you feel comfy drawing and firing your gun with some accuracy, look at some of the gun games like IDPA to introduce some movement and "off the square range" shooting and gun handling to introduce some new concepts and to put some stress into your shooting.

I would avoid the kit gun at all costs. There are thousands of posts about people trying to resolve issues with brand new factory fresh guns. Why introduce unknown variables in how it was assembled for a gun you will bet your and your family's life on?

Welcome to the forum! It's an amazing pool of knowledge.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List