Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LCR Holster Struggles

LCR Holster Struggles

I'm on a self-imposed journey to learn the snub in the form of an LCR. Really been struggling with carry holster selection.

For background I'm a semi-auto guy, G17, G19, G43, G48, etc., with a couple pages of classes (Haggard, Givens, Vogel, Proctor, local, etc.) and participation in USPSA and IDPA. I have shot a Ruger GP100 in IDPA. I'm 145lbs, 5'6", and very, very athletic. My most common carry method is an OWB, pancake style holster, with no cant ever. On occasion, I'll carry the G43 AIWB. I really don't like cant.

Based upon trusted student recommendations from participation in Haggard's Snubs and Pocket Rockets class I picked up a PHlster City Special right off. Really don't like it at all. Don't like the ride height, don't like fidgeting with putting it on. Right now I'm most satisfied with a second hand Blade-Tech Klipt IWB.

Using the Blade-Tech Klipt I've been shooting about 100 rds per week, primarily El Prez since it forces me to do 2 reloads and transitions.

I'd like to find an OWB holster without cant -or- an OWB holster with cant recommended by the good shooters here. I'm up in the air on leather or kydex and willing to try either based upon recommendations from here. The kydex holsters I've seen for snubs seem very bulky.

Help?

happy shooting, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyvarmint View Post
    I'm on a self-imposed journey to learn the snub in the form of an LCR. Really been struggling with carry holster selection.

For background I'm a semi-auto guy, G17, G19, G43, G48, etc., with a couple pages of classes (Haggard, Givens, Vogel, Proctor, local, etc.) and participation in USPSA and IDPA. I have shot a Ruger GP100 in IDPA. I'm 145lbs, 5'6", and very, very athletic. My most common carry method is an OWB, pancake style holster, with no cant ever. On occasion, I'll carry the G43 AIWB. I really don't like cant.

Based upon trusted student recommendations from participation in Haggard's Snubs and Pocket Rockets class I picked up a PHlster City Special right off. Really don't like it at all. Don't like the ride height, don't like fidgeting with putting it on. Right now I'm most satisfied with a second hand Blade-Tech Klipt IWB.

Using the Blade-Tech Klipt I've been shooting about 100 rds per week, primarily El Prez since it forces me to do 2 reloads and transitions.

I'd like to find an OWB holster without cant -or- an OWB holster with cant recommended by the good shooters here. I'm up in the air on leather or kydex and willing to try either based upon recommendations from here. The kydex holsters I've seen for snubs seem very bulky.

Help?

happy shooting, Jerry
    I'm thinking about an OWB snubby holster too. Have you considered the Milt Sparks PMK?

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-pmk.php

OP, am I right in assuming you want strong side, behind the hip/3 to 4 o’clock carry?

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I'm thinking about an OWB snubby holster too. Have you considered the Milt Sparks PMK?

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-pmk.php
    That is smoking hot and right up my alley.

Thanks, Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    OP, am I right in assuming you want strong side, behind the hip/3 to 4 o’clock carry?
    Yes, that is correct.

Thanks, Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by dustyvarmint View Post
    The kydex holsters I've seen for snubs seem very bulky.
    There's no reasonable way to attach a kydex holster to the belt in a manner that is durable enough to suggest. Leather methods are better suited here.

If outside the pants was the only criteria, but an IWB between the belt and pants was an option, you'd open some options up.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    There's no reasonable way to attach a kydex holster to the belt in a manner that is durable enough to suggest. Leather methods are better suited here.

If outside the pants was the only criteria, but an IWB between the belt and pants was an option, you'd open some options up.
    This is extremely helpful, thank you.

Happy shooting, Jerry

Jerry, Orionz06 is a very well-respected kydex worker, and may have forgotten more about holsters and kydex than most.

If he says go leather for an application, that’s the direction I’d look.

The good news is that there are a number of proven designs that have stood up over the decades that are made by numerous outfits.

Off the top:

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...cfm?cat_id=669

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

https://www.kramerleather.com/collections/revolver

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-other.php

https://www.privateerleather.com/copy-of-holsters-gear

Kramer is a bigger outfit, but any of the others should do a straight drop on request if it’s not right there on their site.

There’s plenty of other makers; I’m sure other suggestions will be forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Jerry, Orionz06 is a very well-respected kydex worker, and may have forgotten more about holsters and kydex than most.

If he says go leather for an application, that’s the direction I’d look.
    I always start looking at Dark Star and J.M. first, then broaden the search.

Thanks for that list, happy shooting, Jerry

Site Supporter
    I used the search function to find LCR the holster I most liked. Looks like you started that thread as well. Not a bad thing, just I cannot offer any advice.

However, the Bianchi Serpent @SCCY Marshal posted a pic of looks awesome.

User Tag List