Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pack my bag...

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I drink Danner Kool Aid. They make a pack. http://www.danner.com
    Name:  Danner.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  30.0 KB

The Rainbow Randolph model.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I'll second what others have mentioned: the Tarahumara seems a little small to me. But depends on what you want to carry. Certainly the vast majority of folks who own HPG bags love them.

I exchanged a larger multitool for the Gerber Dime Travel, one small enough to fit in a watch pocket. If I need more than that, I'm usually at work or home, by real tools. I add a little Stanley pocket Screwdriver to that and it covers most of my needs.

Lightweight work gloves. Eyepro. Extra socks. Ear pro if you want. Pen and paper. Small task light to go with the big light (I like the Nitecore Tube). Extra meds, ibuprofen, eye drops, benadryl. A poncho and some 550. I usually like to have a backup knife, but that's just me (like an ESEE Izula). Something to read/do for boredom. Nowadays, spare N95 and hand sanitizer. Chapstick. Ferro rod and lighter. Small ziplock bag for phone if it starts pouring rain.

I didn't include some of the useful stuff from your link, which I also carry. And I don't own a Tarahumara, but I wonder if I couldn't actually fit all that in there with a long sleeve shirt.

I have a tarahumara (my second!) and an Ute. My friend has an umlindi, so I’ve had some hands on on that.

The Tara is a bit small for what you’ve described. It’s sized for two water bottles, some essentials, and maybe a tarp + cover garment. It’s a perfect pack for a light day hike, or I guess a less-tacticool version of the flatpack?

If you can only have one HPG bag, it sounds like the Umlindi is the right size for this. Packed, it’s big enough for a shooting rest, and you could use it as a carry on. The Ute is too big for a carry on. I have a Tara for light hiking day trips, and then for camping it’ll dock to the Ute with the same hiking load to supplement the larger Ute pocket.

As to what might be in the pack … HPG’s site has a great “equipage” section with some backcountry focused packing lists. Their forums have lots of folks who are doing something similar if you look in the “What’s in your Umlindi?” Thread. Bill Rapier (on Instagram as @amtacshooting) has posted a couple “modern day minuteman” loads in his Umlindi.

I agree on the Umlindi suggestions. The updated version also makes it more versatile.

I currently use HPG and GoRuck bags. GR is for work/travel, HPG is for woods stuff. The Tara is definitely too small for what you describe. I use it as a day pack for light hikes, squirrel hunting, kayaking, and occasionally the long 15+ mile run.

The HPG Aston BC is a bit larger and I use it for big game hunting and overnight hikes(or long distance 50 mile rucks).

The GR1 is my work bag and has served as overnight travel bag and carry-on for international travel. It's a touch small for multi night trips so I bought a GR2 this year to fill that role. COVID has kept me from traveling for work but I've used it for some local matches and it's worked great.

My recommendation: if you want a more versatile hiking/hunting/etc pack, go HPG. If you want a more streamlined urban ruck, go GoRuck. For either, get something in the 20-30L range.

I have the waxed cotton version of the Tarahuma from 5 Col, it’s a great little day pack. While I’d think it’s a bit small for the uses you describe, it does hold more stuff than the specs indicate and it’s possible to hang a jacket off of the paracord or compression straps. HPG makes a stuff sack that can be carried in the straps giving enough capacity for an austere overnight trip, especially when coupled to a chest rig.

I’ve used my carryon bag as a range bag while attending training and it never got a hit when swabbed.

A friend / ex-coworker was stopped by airport security after leaving the US, going thru London, visiting Paris and then touring Ireland. The Irish found three .22lr cartridges in the bottom of his carryon bag as he was leaving. He’s legally quadriplegic and after a few questions they kept the cartridges and allowed him to board. It could have gone much worse.

All that convinced me that if I ever fly again to have a dedicated carry on bag.

Thanks to all for your input! The UMLINDI PACK V2 looks like it would be better suited for my needs.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Damn. We must live in a parallel universe or something... I was just scouring the HPG site over the weekend doing the same thing.

I’m also seriously looking at the Connor V2. I’d like to be able to carry a small rifle on it (Win 94) and the side pockets along with the flaps might make this work nicely and be secure. I currently use a cheaper pack from Cabelas as a long range shooting pack. It’s a bit more “dedicated” in its use, but I’ll toss a few ideas from it you might find useful... I use smaller, rigid plastic containers (Plano, and no-name Menards) to hold a number of items. One is a small tool and essentials kit that contains:

1. Hex keys for the scope turrets (use a piece of plastic drinking straw to keep them together).
    2. A small ratchet wrench and specific sized sockets for the scope bases (I’m too cheap for Fixit Stiks).
    3. 308, .223, and .17 jag and brushes. (I carry 2 spare cleaning rods in the 2-rifle drag bag.)
    4. A strip of common Torx and driver bits
    5. AR/CETME/AK front sight tools
    6. A .308 broken shell extractor...because “roller lock bolt”... lol

Another smaller box contains spare batteries for all the carried devices in the pack. (Rangefinder, Kestrel Drop, AAAs for a barrel cooler, and a few AAs just because. I use a few pieces of packing popcorn to keep them from shifting around.

The pack itself is used per the following:

Front compartments contain the rangefinder and Kestrel Drop which are tethered to prevent loss, along with molded earpro. Second, larger compartment has the two above mentioned plastic boxes plus the barrel cooler which is in its own pouch.

First thinner fill size compartment holds ammo. Either factory boxes or the MTD 20rd plastic sleeves which are stacked. I can hold either 4 .308 sized, or two .308 and two belted magnum sized sleeves plus a bit of extra room.

Large main compartment has spotting scope, eyepro, small rear bag, and overflow for other gear such as food, rain poncho, etc. Outside MOLLE has space for lashed tripod, lashed shooting mat (I have a small lightweight one which I found works just fine) along with space for an additional puffy jacket or tarp as conditions dictate.

An idea for protecting the pack...you can get a rain cover for your pack that will keep it safe from the blast. I found a mid weight nylon one that seems to work fine. I bet you could get a waxed linen one (waxed linen seems to be making yet another comeback) that would work even better.

Just a few thoughts....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I have had several different HPG backpacks for field use, including the Tara. It’s definitely too small, even for a day hunting trip. Love the best in class shoulder harness HPG has, but aside from that all the dang straps just drive me crazy. I now alternate between a GR1 and a Kifaru E&E. The E&E is probably the same volume as the Tara, but much easier to get in and out of.

Regarding how to use a pack to support field expedient shooting positions, YMMV but I’ve found very few scenarios where shooting from prone was setting me up for success. So, I focus on equipment that helps me in supported alternate positions. I don’t even leave the truck with a rifle in my hand unless I have the following two items:

1. Tripod. Very nice for anything from sitting, to kneeling, to standing shots and anything in between. Also, it’ll take your binoculars and observation capability to the next level.

2. Armageddon Gear pint-sized was canvas game changer with Git Lite fill. This turns anything into a stable place to shoot from: truck window, tree branch, rock, fence post.... you name it. The Git Lite fill is feather weight and still stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camelback?
    Name:  20200908_185838.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  100.5 KB

User Tag List