Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pack my bag...

Help me pack my bag...

After thinking about this casually for a long time, I've recently started a deep-dive into the acquisition of a backpack. I've narrowed down its intended use to what is referred to as a "get home" bag (though more realistically it will be used far more often as a carry-on for short biz trips). Perhaps just as importantly, I want the bag to serve as a shooting support as well. Since I'm a smaller-stature individual (5'7") and have no intention of week-long treks into the wilderness, and based on recommendations in other threads, the Hill People Tarahumara pack seems perfect for my intended use.

Along with the typical "getting home" supplies, I'm interested in what makes sense in terms of items/supplies that could be used in support of defensive riflecraft. Beyond the obvious items like ammo, spare magazines, etc., it seems to me if the pack is going to be of any use at all as a shooting support, its internal volume really needs to be fully utilized (packed full) with soft, lightweight items. I'm thinking that critical-need clothing is the most likely "filler" based on season/expected weather conditions.

As a final note, I've watched videos on long-range precision shooting where someone might comment "I prefer shooting prone off my pack vs. using a bipod" and are shown shooting off a pack that is obviously packed full, making it perfect for that use. Inquiring minds want to know what might be in the pack, and I'm betting some of you would be willing to offer insight based on first-hand experience.

As always, your input is appreciated!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    After thinking about this casually for a long time, I've recently started a deep-dive into the acquisition of a backpack. I've narrowed down its intended use to what is referred to as a "get home" bag (though more realistically it will be used far more often as a carry-on for short biz trips). Perhaps just as importantly, I want the bag to serve as a shooting support as well. Since I'm a smaller-stature individual (5'7") and have no intention of week-long treks into the wilderness, and based on recommendations in other threads, the Hill People Tarahumara pack seems perfect for my intended use.

Along with the typical "getting home" supplies, I'm interested in what makes sense in terms of items/supplies that could be used in support of defensive riflecraft. Beyond the obvious items like ammo, spare magazines, etc., it seems to me if the pack is going to be of any use at all as a shooting support, its internal volume really needs to be fully utilized (packed full) with soft, lightweight items. I'm thinking that critical-need clothing is the most likely "filler" based on season/expected weather conditions.

As a final note, I've watched videos on long-range precision shooting where someone might comment "I prefer shooting prone off my pack vs. using a bipod" and are shown shooting off a pack that is obviously packed full, making it perfect for that use. Inquiring minds want to know what might be in the pack, and I'm betting some of you would be willing to offer insight based on first-hand experience.

As always, your input is appreciated!
    I drink Danner Kool Aid. They make a pack. http://www.danner.com

https://swiftsilentdeadly.com/edc-pa...edc-apec-pack/

The above may be a good place to start. I really like his idea of individual, removable modules rather than simply stuffing the bag full of stuff.

My work bag is set up similarly. I have a change of normal clothes in a compression sack, as that has uses for work beyond the world ending. I don't carry shoes in the bag but I do have some in the trunk. I feel his backup wallet is a very good idea, and once my passport card gets here (hopefully this week) that'll be mostly complete. I carry some snacks, though not as much as he does, and also some stuff for preparing lunches at work. Water, I've typically got a large Yeti cup everywhere I go nowadays, so I don't carry water in the pack. I have a Magpul Daka with a spare mag for either pistol I may be carrying that day, a spare knife, multitool, flashlight, batteries, and tools for my handgun optics. There's an IFAK and a separate small first aid kit. I have a battery bank in there that's proven to be very useful. Lastly, I have various charging cables, pens/sharpies, my work laptop, and I should probably get a packable rain jacket for it.

I've been thinking about buying a Tarahumara as a hiking pack as well. My understanding is that the pack volume is quite small, however, and so you're going to want to be discerning as to its contents. Water should be easy to carry -- from reviews I've seen, the two side pockets will easily take a 32oz Nalgene each.

The Tarahumara is quite small, i would think it to be a “trail runner’s pack,” if used alone, or with a Kit Bag up front, to balance the load. All of the Hill People Gear packs are very, very well-made, so the Tarahumara is an excellent product, of course.

It may be a bit small, for a shooting rest.

If you will name a load-out, or at least some of the largest items, I will see if I can realistically stuff it into my Tarahumara.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Good thread, and will observe with interest.

I was going to comment, from a perspective of using a bag for both shooting and a "carry on for short biz trips" would give me the willies. I can just imagine, with my somewhat forgetful nature, me turning up in the pre-check line at TSA and the agent picking a box of 9mm out of my "carry on", and directing me to a "closed area" where a couple burly dudes are waiting to conduct an "interview".

Eek.

Another use of Tarahumara is a smaller pack, to piggy-back on the rear of a larger pack, with the compression straps of the larger pack holding the Tarahumara. I think there is a backpacker-jargon name for this set-up, but it escapes my pre-caffeinated brain, at the moment.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    https://swiftsilentdeadly.com/edc-pa...edc-apec-pack/

The above may be a good place to start. I really like his idea of individual, removable modules rather than simply stuffing the bag full of stuff.
    Thanks for that link! Bags-in-a-bag is what I'm thinking too, and I like the concept of separate inner bags for specific uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    It may be a bit small, for a shooting rest.
    On flat ground with my carbine, I need about eight to nine inches of height to get comfortable behind the rifle. I'm thinking as long as its packed tight, laying it on the side will get me there.

Thanks for the offer to trial-run a loading for me!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I can just imagine, with my somewhat forgetful nature, me turning up in the pre-check line at TSA and the agent picking a box of 9mm out of my "carry on", and directing me to a "closed area" where a couple burly dudes are waiting to conduct an "interview".
    Valid point! Since this pack is a single compartment, dumping the contents and double-checking should not be an issue. But your comment made me think of something else: muzzle blast residue. If they do the swab-check thing and find something, I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be if there's nothing in the pack that is not permitted. Maybe doubling as carry-on would not be advisable.

Site Supporter
    I would think about something in the 22 to 26L range. My grab bag which I head out the door with, basically a large purse - I got rain jacket, rain pants, and a insulated jacket in. A fistful of comfort items, 600 calories in happy snacks, 1 L old school Nalgene bottle, and a pack of rolling tobacco (reserved for stress relief - one cigarette hand rolled during stressful times is super helpful to me). I might throw in a small battery to keep the phone charged.

Any equipment to fight with is on my body.

The bag is larger than I need to cover stuffing acquired items in as well as stuffing full of stuff for the kids. Right now I have a ULA Fastpack which is fine. My dream is a Superior Wilderness. For my urban and business travel there are plenty of minimal travel orientated clamshell packs out there. If you want waterbottle or other stuff to be accessed outside the pack you should look more at hiking oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Valid point! Since this pack is a single compartment, dumping the contents and double-checking should not be an issue. But your comment made me think of something else: muzzle blast residue. If they do the swab-check thing and find something, I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be if there's nothing in the pack that is not permitted. Maybe doubling as carry-on would not be advisable.
    Even if getting swabbed for residue wasn't a potential problem, I'd avoid the "range bag as everyday bag" idea simply because that same residue unnecessarily ups your lead exposure - touch bag, residue gets on hands, eat food...

Site Supporter
    Here is a review of the Umlindi pack by a USDOJ instructor. The bag is a little larger but is seems to be used for a role that you are describing. There is also a discussion about the Tarahumara, its size and how it is attachable to the Umlinidi. There may be some useful information for you here.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/for...92/scope/posts

User Tag List