Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MPBR Zero and the Civilian AR

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Same journey here on the ARs. I also ended up with a lighter barrel and slim rail with far less doo-dads. I’ve drifted however away from ARs in general which is a whole other discussion. Mine is currently set up for “precision under 250yds” which I think is a good place for it. I’m sure I’ll uncork a whole storm with this comment, but (in general) you’re never going to get “true precision” from an AR. If I need that, I grab a bolt gun.

I’ve slimmed down the bolt guns too. I dumped the chassis off both my .308 and .300wm and replaced with the factory HS stocks. While not so critical with the Winmag (it’s a heavy beast to start with) the .308 (Rem 700 MilSpec) has become MUCH more portable since it went on a diet. I put a Triad stock pack on it which contains drop tables, and tether for the Kestrel Drop. That, along with a small rangefinder is really all that’s needed.

The one good thing from the past 6mo is that the useless stuff is getting culled quick.

Also agreed on checking the zero. Windgate IS often the culprit for whatever reason. It seems the vertical usually ends up pretty close, while the horizontal is where the errors show. Having an app such as Ballistic has really added a lot of versatility into the mix. By playing with the numbers, you can maximize the PBZ distance and see exactly where you need to go when sitting down to zero a particular rifle. Calculate the table using relatively benign conditions (under 300yds atmospherics for general use are pretty easy) print it out and stick it in the grip compartment or tape it to the rear stock. There is never a question on where to aim anymore...nice.
    Last edited by entropy; 09-08-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Mine is currently set up for “precision under 250yds” which I think is a good place for it. I’m sure I’ll uncork a whole storm with this comment, but (in general) you’re never going to get “true precision” from an AR. If I need that, I grab a bolt gun.
    This.

I like the "precision under 250 yards" definition too, and is exactly what I'm aiming for with my AR. :-)

Sweet. Simple. Effective.

I took a look at putting monopods on my stocks. After they revived me using the paddles, I decided to get a small rear bag instead!

The AR might find a home with my son in the near future. He’s young, relatively broke, newly married, and seeing the light on things. I’ve drifted towards AKs for non precision stuff. Good enough to 250yds, tough as nails. I picked up a 7.62x39 braced pistol Pre-Covid that checks all the boxes for my needs under 250yds. That, along with your inspiration on shotguns has brought me pretty close to my happy place on everything.
    Last edited by entropy; 09-08-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Since this thread is starting drift anyway, what is considered "precision at 250 yards" ? Is that sub moa? Capable of a 6" group?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Since this thread is starting drift anyway, what is considered "precision at 250 yards" ? Is that sub moa? Capable of a 6" group?
    Yeah...I was a bit nebulous. I was recovering from being awake for 27hrs straight and hadn’t finished my coffee yet.

For an AR at two-fiddy? I call “precision” 2moa. With a bolt gun? I need to still be stacking them. Anything over 1/2moa with a bolt gun I start looking for the reason. Usually it’s something I screwed up.
    Last edited by entropy; 09-09-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Site Supporter
    NH Shooter... regarding accuracy of your current BCM lightweight barrel, I'm curious if you've done any testing to see how heat affects the barrel's accuracy. If so, can you discuss them?

2 MOA in an AR is chrome lined barrel results. I've found that if you treat them the same as a bolt gun, heavier match grade barrel and good ammo, AR's are more than capable of true precision but then you have the weight to contend with and the whole idea behind the gun is gone, light and handy. I will concede that I usually shoot a bolt gun better but the guys at Camp Perry prove it's not the platform at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    NH Shooter... regarding accuracy of your current BCM lightweight barrel, I'm curious if you've done any testing to see how heat affects the barrel's accuracy. If so, can you discuss them?
    Only by casual observation. It seems that for a string of fire, the POI remains consistent (other than the flyer). Allowing time between strings of fire, say 10 or 15 minutes, I often see the group from the second string of fire is displaced from the first group by a MOA or two.

Again, I think this is the characteristics of a "sporter weight" barrel, whether it's on an AR or bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    I've found that if you treat them the same as a bolt gun, heavier match grade barrel and good ammo, AR's are more than capable of true precision but then you have the weight to contend with and the whole idea behind the gun is gone, light and handy.
    Exactly. It's a matter of finding the right combination of components to achieve the performance needed while keeping the overall weight as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    In my case, I want consistent 1.5 MOA or better from this rifle. The current performance nearly meets that if I ignore the flyers. My hope is to eliminate the flyers with the barrel swap at the expense of 11 ounces of additional barrel weight. Based on my past experience with the BCM 16-inch SS 410, that should be quite doable.

User Tag List