Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MPBR Zero and the Civilian AR

A standard red dot is good to a little over 200 yards with out magnification and is better at close range (25 yards) where self defense is more likely to occur. What am I missing here? In the army we fires out to 500 meters with iron sights. I found it was easy to miss at close range with the combat zero, my red dot and scope are xeroed at yards, should be good point blank from 0 out to a little over 200 with scope or red dot( actually a prism scope).

Quote Originally Posted by Doublestack45 View Post
    Is the flyer the first round stripped from bolt release, and the grouped rounds feeding after?
    Unfortunately, I do not know - did not have a spotting scope. But I'm thinking not as the first two 3-shot groups I fired were well under one MOA.

Come to think of it, this upper seems to shift POI by group. I remember when I first got it I fired a nice, tight 1.2 MOA 5-shot group, then a short time later shot another tight 5-shot group, but it was a few inches lower than the first group. That was with a different scope, so I think I can rule out scope problems.

I'm beginning to wonder if this lightweight barrel walks around a little as it heats up....

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    A standard red dot is good to a little over 200 yards with out magnification and is better at close range (25 yards) where self defense is more likely to occur. What am I missing here?
    Red dots look like clusters of grapes to my eyes....

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I do a 100 yard zero with all my scoped rifles just for pure consistency. Red dots and open sights get zeroed at 25.

If I put the 75 GD into Strelok, using a 100 yard zero, this is what it comes up. This is why I love 5.56. Plenty of energy and the velocity keeps it flat.

Attachment 60052
    What rifle are you getting 2750 out of? 75GD rounds have been slow from my 16" carbine. The published BC appears to also be BS as the dope hasn't worked out for me from 300-600 yards

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    What rifle are you getting 2750 out of? 75GD rounds have been slow from my 16" carbine. The published BC appears to also be BS as the dope hasn't worked out for me from 300-600 yards
    Like I posted, I just grabbed a load from Strelok

Barrel length will make a slight difference in my chart but not enough to matter. From the muzzle, I get 2643 in my 16" AR and 2802 from a 24" Tikka with the 75GD. As you stated, BC won't matter much out to 200, but I agree that the published BC of .4 is probably closer to .37
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Like I posted, I just grabbed a load from Strelok

Barrel length will make a slight difference in my chart but not enough to matter. From the muzzle, I get 2643 in my 16" AR and 2802 from a 24" Tikka with the 75GD. As you stated, BC won't matter much out to 200, but I agree that the published BC of .4 is probably closer to .37
    That's surprising. I get 2540 from my 16". I should rechrono or try a different lot.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    That's surprising. I get 2540 from my 16". I should rechrono or try a different lot.
    I tested mine right after they were introduced as I had a friend who works for an ammo wholesaler and got me a couple boxes. Hopefully the recipe hasn't changed.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I've found the 50/200 zero a pretty good choice for me with irons and red dots however, I zero at 200 and confirm at 50. Too many times I've seen folks be off just a little at 50 and a whole lot at 200.

With scopes I've settled on a 100 yard zero because of either reticle choice or dialing. If I had a simple duplex and no knobs, I'd be fine with the 50/200.

The 25/300 is interesting but shooting at 300 with the 50/200 and a red dot is second nature to me now. BTW, a red dot is a blur to me as well, I put the blur on target up close and at distance I look through the peep sight which cleans it right up for me. The irons enhance the dot and the dot enhances the irons.

Some changes happening;

A while back I had this setup using an upper with the BCM 16-inch SS 410 barrel;

This rifle was the most accurate AR I have ever owned. Unfortunately (as you can see in the photo), I added about every heavy component I could (stock, quad rail, optic and mount, etc.) which turned the "carbine" into a boat anchor. I hated having an AR that heavy so I abandoned it.

I just placed an order for a 16-inch SS 410 barrel to install on my present rifle. It will add 11 ounces, but the rifle will stay weigh south of eight pounds. If this barrel performs anything like the last one, I'm going to be mighty happy.

Here's a video on zeroing.

In my experience with rifles/carbines, if you are going to do the 50/200 thing, you need to verify the 200 and not just presume that if you are on at 50 that you will be on at 200. At 50, your windage errors may not be manifested on the target.

Lately, I have been zeroing my ARs at 100 as this is the maximum range that I have readily available, and 100 will have me on at the ranges that are "likely" for me to encounter.

https://www.facebook.com/10589234429...1351803887546/
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List