Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: MPBR Zero and the Civilian AR

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    They need to bring back the Leupold prismatic!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd actually be quite happy with the FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm with the FireDot Duplex reticle they currently offer with other scopes. It wouldn't add much weight either, and I like the auto-off feature when the scope is stationary.

Unfortunately I need 1X unity for close up stuff. I hate getting sucked into the optic with magnification for close up work. I have the same astigmatism issues and my wallet suffers as a result. LPVO with daylight usable dots seems to work best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Unfortunately I need 1X unity for close up stuff.
    Understandable. A RMR or DP-Pro in an offset mount is something that I'm considering. The entire setup would still weigh less than a pound.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Understandable. A RMR or DP-Pro in an offset mount is something that I'm considering. The entire setup would still weigh less than a pound.
    Have you also considered running offset irons--Magpul has a great set--with your lightweight optic? This is something I'm looking at. Obviously irons are slightly slower than an offset RMR would be, but there are a few advantages too: weight savings, no batteries/electronics to fail, and if there are environmental conditions (fogging, etc.) that affect your main optic, your irons are a better backup than another optic that has a lens. Also there are some folding offset irons, like the MI ones, so you can fold down to pretty lo-pro when not using.

I think folks (myself included) put too much thought into optics and sights. I killed a lot of stuff with a Leupold 1.5-5 and a standard duplex. I now have fallen victim to the illuminated BDC reticles and Mild dots with knobs that track. Mostly just to play on the steel range.

Back when I hunted coyotes at night with an AR, a regular duplex and a light, it was simple and effective. Now it seems like we over analyze everything just in case. Of course if someone is shooting at you, it’d be good to have options. So I have red dots and illuminated scopes with back up irons, WML’s and lord knows what will come next.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Have you also considered running offset irons--Magpul has a great set--with your lightweight optic?
    Yes, I currently run the MI versions and very much like them. They really do serve the purpose quite admirably. No doubt I'd be better off investing the $$ in a decent spotting scope.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Yes, I currently run the MI versions and very much like them. They really do serve the purpose quite admirably. No doubt I'd be better off investing the $$ in a decent spotting scope.

Thanks for that and the pics! I'd been thinking of trying the MI's with a lightweight 2.5-10x42 DRM-ish scope that I have, now I think I'll pull the trigger on those. I'm a lefty and one of the strengths of the MI is they're truly ambi, unlike most folding offsets. Some folks have urged me to run an offset RDS, which I'm sure would be fine as well. But for the reasons I listed in my last post, I slightly prefer the offset irons solution in this type of setup. All around I like the whole packaged solution better, nice glass with a mil ranging reticle, has me covered out to 800, and LW offset irons for both CQ shooting and backup to the optic.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    AR noir!

Love it!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    I think folks (myself included) put too much thought into optics and sights. I killed a lot of stuff with a Leupold 1.5-5 and a standard duplex. I now have fallen victim to the illuminated BDC reticles and Mild dots with knobs that track. Mostly just to play on the steel range.

Back when I hunted coyotes at night with an AR, a regular duplex and a light, it was simple and effective. Now it seems like we over analyze everything just in case. Of course if someone is shooting at you, it’d be good to have options. So I have red dots and illuminated scopes with back up irons, WML’s and lord knows what will come next.
    For me it's gun games that have driven this. If I want to be competitive in a match from 5-600 yards, I need more than a fixed 2.5x and duplex.

I still very much like my 2.5-10x with offset MRDS for my 16" rifle. It provides a true do all capability for fast short range targets plus first round 600 yard hits.

For my new 12.5 I'm hemming and hawing a bit on what to do. I'd prefer to keep things light. Currently it has a red dot + 3x mag, but the combined weight is close to a decent LPVO. Plus I just don't like the mag hanging off the side.

A fixed 2.5-4x range optic with a MRDS has a lot of appeal to me. Unfortunately I'm not gonna spend Acog money, so those options are out.

I agree it’s probably more the games that have shifted pistols and rifles in the last several years.

I just got in from shooting steel, had carpal tunnel release surgery two weeks ago so pistols are out for a bit. I shot my 6.5 Needmore out to 1000 yards and decided I’d see what my favorite carbine would do with some new loads I worked up. The carbine has a 16” Sionics pencil barrel and a Trijicon 1-4 Accupower scope on it with the red segmented circle dot and BDC out to 800 yards.

The ammo is the new 62 grain Federal MK 318 barrier blind bullets Midway had a couple of weeks ago. I loaded them to 2877 FPS with TAC And was curious how they’d match the 55 grain BDC I was surprised that it matched pretty close and I made 5 solid hits on a 2/3rd size silhouette plate at 500 yards. Hit center mass on a full size silhouette 3 out of 5 at 600. Even got one into a 17” plate at 700 but with no feedback, I didn’t know it until I drove down to see.

Point is I can do anything I need to do with this gun but a buddy of mine figured his dope off his duplex and dials power down to get hits using aiming points of the duplex just the same. It’s harder or requires more thought but it can be done with a simple duplex.

That said,I won’t buy another simple duplex again.

User Tag List