Thread: Sending my first slide off to be milled--got a couple of quick questions...

Sending my first slide off to be milled--got a couple of quick questions...

I got a great BF deal on a Steiner MPS. I can live with "only" one year of battery life. It's going on a Gen 3 G-17.

Regarding refinishing, I see that some companies offer to cerakote just the cut, and most companies offer full slide refinishing as well. I'm leaning toward just having the cut covered. is there anything that I'm missing? Will the entire cut be covered (so no strange two-tone effect would be visible)?

Regarding BUIS, I was thinking I read/saw somewhere that with a direct mill it is possible to use my standard sights for a lower 1/4 co-witness. Is that accurate? If I don't have to have the tall sights, I'd rather not, but I do want a set of BUIS on the slide.

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I prefer to nitrite the whole slide. Dawson Precision will have a combo that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I prefer to nitrite the whole slide. Dawson Precision will have a combo that will work.
    Thanks, I appreciate the input. Would you mind sharing a bit more? Is it an aesthetic thing, or something else?

I had all of my slides re-nitrided after the milling. Two of them they also cut additional windows to reduce slide weight so refinishing the entire slide was neccessary (this was back when USPSA had a 45 oz weight limit for the entire gun plus optic and mag). I do have one gun (a P10C) that Jagerwerks cut the slide for the optic and rear BUIS, but only charged $50 to nitride the entire slide.

If the re-finishing of the entire slide does not cost an arm and a leg or add significant time, I would have them do it for peace of mind.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate the input. Would you mind sharing a bit more? Is it an aesthetic thing, or something else?
    Just my preference to have the whole slide refinished. I also prefer nitrite over cerekote.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Just my preference to have the whole slide refinished. I also prefer nitrite over cerekote.
    This. Exactly.

User Tag List