Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst cuisines?

Site Supporter
    I tend to lean into any cuisine that builds on local spices. Sichuan. Malaysian. Thai. Tex-Mex. French. Moroccan. Indian.

I've watched Bourdain tuck into some stuff I'd absolutely never eat if I had a choice. Prairie Dog cooked inside its own stomach over a wood fire. Maggot encrusted meat in Africa. No.

My family has a few Ashkenazi dishes that I love, that make normal people run, but, garlic, bay and dill make my belly smile.

The two strangest cuisines I've eaten have been Polish and Korean. Polish is just plain boring. Meat and hot watery vegetables. Maybe I missed the good parts? The Poles are great company though, and the vodka is very good too.

I love Korean food for lunch or dinner, but, Korean food baffled me... Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all the same foods. Messes up my constitution. I love me some Bulgogi, and bibimbap. But not for breakfast.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Eastern European (Ashkenazi) food.

Gefilte fish comes to mind...defenders of the faith notwithstanding. On the whole, give me Sephardic (Mediterranean) cuisine. I guess with all the wandering, cooking classes were an afterthought.

That said, there is good stuff, mostly base around potatoes or noodles.
    I can relate -In general I like Russian cuisine (lots of potatoes, cabbage, meats) but I have a rule and I tell other the same - STAY AWAY FROM THE JELLIED MEATS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Eastern European (Ashkenazi) food.

Gefilte fish comes to mind...defenders of the faith notwithstanding. On the whole, give me Sephardic (Mediterranean) cuisine. I guess with all the wandering, cooking classes were an afterthought.

That said, there is good stuff, mostly base around potatoes or noodles.
    Name:  6D22D3C2-65BB-4642-9BCA-10E300CA53D6.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  57.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I tend to lean into any cuisine that builds on local spices. Sichuan. Malaysian. Thai. Tex-Mex. French. Moroccan. Indian.

I've watched Bourdain tuck into some stuff I'd absolutely never eat if I had a choice. Prairie Dog cooked inside its own stomach over a wood fire. Maggot encrusted meat in Africa. No.

My family has a few Ashkenazi dishes that I love, that make normal people run, but, garlic, bay and dill make my belly smile.

The two strangest cuisines I've eaten have been Polish and Korean. Polish is just plain boring. Meat and hot watery vegetables. Maybe I missed the good parts? The Poles are great company though, and the vodka is very good too.

I love Korean food for lunch or dinner, but, Korean food baffled me... Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all the same foods. Messes up my constitution. I love me some Bulgogi, and bibimbap. But not for breakfast.
    I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Poland for work, and they have some good food although subtle. Their definition of “spicy” is pretty funny though, it is very limiting in terms of what restaurants you can take a Polish person to when they are visiting you.

I love Korean food!

Site Supporter
    As an old health inspector, I avoid those places that shit in their skillet first thing every morning. I stay home.

Grand Bahama Island, a place of superior dining, ime, where I've had the best soul food (crap, can I even call it that anymore), of my life is nearly completely overshadowed by the mere concept of conch salad, which is putrid trash.

Anything with Curry.

British food.

Irish food, the traditional kind, not the kind you get at Americanized Irish pubs run by fat people.

Italian.

I'm gonna go ahead and toss Iranian food in there even though I've never had it. I worked with some Iranians and they ate the most disgusting smelling and looking food every day and it removed any desire to try it. We bought them their own microwave because if you used it after them, your food would smell like whatever they were eating.

Non spicy Mexican/Latin American food.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Tex-Mex can be amazeballs, but is frequently interpreted as anything with tortillas, melted cheese, and hot sauce. Even here in Texas, restaurants are more miss than hit.
    That's so true. As in my earlier comments, we would go to a really good Mom and Pop place and some of the good ol' boys would just get the cheese enchiladas, rice and beans plate. Never explored the mole, seafood dishes, etc.

Same with the Chinese or Thai places. Sesame chicken - some gooey fake Chinese crap. Never went for the curries, great soups , fish dishes, etc.

So one of them goes to a Jewish deli and orders Chicken Parm - straight from a Sysco box. Wouldn't try a great chopped liver, bagels and lox, blintzes.

Culinary cowards! I tried to convince one to get off the Kraft Slices for cheese and if he wanted slices, try some Tillamook cheddar.

The Faroe Islands with the wind-cured maggot sheep has got to be right up there.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Italian.
    Wow, really? Pizza in Naples, linguine and mussels, all the Italian/Sicilian red sauce dishes?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List