Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Essential defensive wrestling techniques?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    I'm a smurf and this is not my experience. Details, please?
    Before learning the drag out, the only defense I had to the front headlock was the sit out, which works great to bail out of a sprawl, but was tough for me to make it work on a front headlock.

Most of the times I gripe about being a small grappler aren't really because I'm small, but mostly because I didn't know the right escape, and the option to explode/spaz my way out of anything is limited, so I get smashed.

On the flip side, now that I'm starting to learn and integrate my grappling, I'm starting to do a little smashing now.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Once I started competing in MMA, I spent about 80% of my wrestling time on sprawls and single/double-leg transitions.

Most of the other techniques involved redirecting their momentum and taking their back:

Good video in that it involves a legit size disparity. The last scenario seems the most viable from the perspective of someone who was always in the lightest weight class and training up.

Otherwise and generally, the body will follow where the head goes and sprawl and choke are your friends.

Waiting for Craig to chime in and tell me I'm an idiot, which, from his level of experience, I totally am.

I’m a fan of snatch singles from some sort of entanglement. I’m tall so once I can get under the leg and elevate most people are going down. I don’t shoot many doubles because even on the mats hitting my knee starts to hurt I’d prefer to avoid that on pavement. I know there are double leg varieties where the lead knee isn’t hitting the ground but I haven’t worked them as much. Supposedly Renzo Gracie broke his knee cap shooting a single during a mugging in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Being a small dude, I get caught in the front headlock position a bunch , and same with turtle. As a consequence, I'm a big fan of the drag out, the peterson roll and the granby roll get out of turtle.

Not to be a smartass - seriously, I am just pointing out something that I think is extremely important for grappling and this is not an attack on you at all - but the general reason someone keeps getting into a front headlock position in almost always because they are leading with their head and has little to do with size or strength. Most people tend to lead with their head on any penetration move, whether they are on their feet on on the ground, and they don't know it. It is also a big reason why someone gets cauliflower ear. My greco coach was psychotic on the subject that the hips drove in, not the head, and I found that to be universal even in a BJJ specific context.

General rule - head is never in front of the neck. As all rules, it is subject to breaking on very specific conditions and situations, but it holds true most of the time.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 09-09-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    My greco coach was psychotic on the subject that the hips drove in, not the head, and I found that to be universal even in a BJJ specific context.
    I kept that in mind today - that was VERY useful!

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP
    Peterson Roll
    That was also very useful too!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    My greco coach was psychotic on the subject that the hips drove in, not the head, and I found that to be universal even in a BJJ specific context.

General rule - head is never in front of the neck. As all rules, it is subject to breaking on very specific conditions and situations, but it holds true most of the time.
    These are the droids I was looking for for sure. Thanks for the tidbit Cecil!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

My son who has been doing BJJ for many, many years is now starting wrestling at the ripe old age of 13. He is currently attending a camp of some very solid, mostly high school guys. Having managed to escape donning a singlet myself in school, watching these practices is a real eye-opener.

I'd love to find some good video resources on wrestling. If anyone has any recommendations post 'em up. In my limited experience grappling, I've find that just as boxing helps provide a "vocabulary" for movement on your feet, wrestling does so for heading to, or from, the ground.

When I attended ECQC, @SouthNarc was doing some cool handfighting stuff with his AI. It looked like some good drills for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I'd love to find some good video resources on wrestling. If anyone has any recommendations post 'em up...
    Scroll through: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Instructionals
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

User Tag List