Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential defensive wrestling techniques?

Site Supporter

Essential defensive wrestling techniques?

So, I never wrestled. At all. In fact my first experience grappling was in BJJ so all I know about anything wrestling related comes from Jiu Jitsu. That said, I've come to really appreciate some parts of wrestling. Being a small dude, I get caught in the front headlock position a bunch , and same with turtle. As a consequence, I'm a big fan of the drag out, the peterson roll and the granby roll get out of turtle. Of course, the takedowns in wrestling and the focus on pressure and getting the guy on his shoulders is good too.

I've found wrestling is certainly the sport of the athletic grappler, but it requires more technique than most give it credit for.

So does anyone have a list of wrestling techniques that work well in BJJ/MMA/Self protection? So far I've come up with the ones I use the most...

-single and double leg takedown
    -Shoulder throw/arm spin
    -Granby roll
    -Peterson Roll
    -Drag out

Any of you wrestlers like other stuff?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have no wrestling experience. I have no formal jiu jitsu experience.

You may find some the information that Shivworks has been uploading to their youtube helpful. It seems like they've had a massive push in their marketing lately. I've not attended any of Craig's classes (I intend to in the future) but it seems like a ton of his curriculum is on display and the actual experience is the value his classes offer. https://www.youtube.com/user/ShivWorks

I have take Cecil's class two times now and it is a really great way of taking BJJ and wrestling skills and applying it to weapon entanglement. Cecil covers BJJ and wrestling techniques.

Arm drags and body locks

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have take Cecil's class two times now and it is a really great way of taking BJJ and wrestling skills and applying it to weapon entanglement. Cecil covers BJJ and wrestling techniques.
    This, exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Arm drags and body locks
    and Whizzer and underhook chest pummeling. But don’t take my word for it, for God’s sake, the mods here are the ones teaching me this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I'm taking his class later this month. I have no real experience and figured it would be a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I'm taking his class later this month. I have no real experience and figured it would be a good starting point.
    Indeed. I’m a fan.

Site Supporter
    I for sure need to train with the Shivworks guys. If ammo is gonna be more scarce I might as well polish up the unarmed skills.

Lots of other good stuff here too. Love arm drags and bodylocks.

The whizzer is something I've been experimenting with a bit, but as a half guard fan, I'm usually trying to be the underhook guy, but the more I try to up my passing game the more I play with it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A good sprawl/takedown defense

Eta, on top of the others mentioned of course.

In real fights Ive only ever used single/double leg takedowns and sprawls.

Once on the ground I revert to striking

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Being a small dude, I get caught in the front headlock position a bunch...
    I'm a smurf and this is not my experience. Details, please?

User Tag List