Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiocchi 357 Magnum JHP 148gr and 158gr. Any Users? Good for Self Defense?

In 44 mag, my (bone stock, clean and lubed) N frame has consistent light strikes with Fiocchi. I've not had that problem with a wide variety of other ammo.
    It fires off fine in my carbine.

Site Supporter
    I shot some of the 148 JHP in milk jugs full of water and got zero expansion. I want to say maybe they chronoed around 1150 out of a 2.5" 686? Not scientific, I know, but if they don't expand in water then they probable won't expand on anything short of a steel plate. I have shot a lot of Fiocchi ammo, particularly in 9mm, and I never had any functioning problems with it. The 'Extrema' line in .32 and .380 acp tested lower in velocity than advertised though.

The 158 xtp should expand some depending on actual velocity.

I avoid Fiocchi ammo completely, because when they first started importing 40S&W, it was hot and blowing out magazines in Glocks, the most common 40 at the time. No recall. Nothing. Just replace magazines.

I'm not going to buy from a company that is perfectly happy to knowingly sell bad ammo.

Not to drift the thread but I just managed to lay in a handful of Magtech 158 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoint (item code 357B) before magnum ammo disappeared. Finally got around to some shadetree testing. Line of gallon milk jugs, the first covered with four layers of hoodie. It was a junker previously used to practice firing my model 10 snub and LCR from the pocket.

Using my 4" S&W model 28 - from which this load has previously averaged a velocity of 1,240fps - the bullet penetrated six jugs, not denting the back of the sixth. I was briefly confused. The recovered bullet barely tried expanding and resembled a mildly flared wadcutter. At the hot velocity of this load, that should have seen it pass clear through all seven jugs. A friend had gotten to the array before me and mixed some up but I discovered a perfect ring of lead in jug number four or five. The exposed lead had fully expanded, tried to peel a couple jacket skives open, and ultimately shed off. The full expansion through that much of the bullet path makes the penetration more sensible.

Water to gel conversion being a crude conversion, I'd expect to see roughly 18" of penetration in a gel block.

Given the price and despite the old bullet design, I think Magtech has likely made a pefectly good medium game load that would be serviceable in a defensive revolver. I'd also like to revisit the test with an acquaintance's 6" model 27. Curious to see if it'd pick up enough velocity to finish tearing along the skives to expand the jacketed portion of bullet. No access to an 8 3/8" or carbine barrel.

It's but a sample of one in a crude medium but I've found no gel tests, clear or proper, of this load. What I saw was at least a reassurance that the factory load I have on hand is probably alright for now in the driving gun. It has proven reliable, hits to the sights with a regulation that is dead on or close to with most 158 grain 38 Special I've tried, has livable recoil, and muzzle flash is not as large a fireball as some.

If anyone else is looking at a box of Magtech 357B, it's probably worth buying in this lean market.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Not to drift the thread but I just managed to lay in a handful of Magtech 158 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoint (item code 357B) before magnum ammo disappeared. Finally got around to some shadetree testing. Line of gallon milk jugs, the first covered with four layers of hoodie. It was a junker previously used to practice firing my model 10 snub and LCR from the pocket.

Using my 4" S&W model 28 - from which this load has previously averaged a velocity of 1,240fps - the bullet penetrated six jugs, not denting the back of the sixth. I was briefly confused. The recovered bullet barely tried expanding and resembled a mildly flared wadcutter. At the hot velocity of this load, that should have seen it pass clear through all seven jugs. A friend had gotten to the array before me and mixed some up but I discovered a perfect ring of lead in jug number four or five. The exposed lead had fully expanded, tried to peel a couple jacket skives open, and ultimately shed off. The full expansion through that much of the bullet path makes the penetration more sensible.

Water to gel conversion being a crude conversion, I'd expect to see roughly 18" of penetration in a gel block.

Given the price and despite the old bullet design, I think Magtech has likely made a pefectly good medium game load that would be serviceable in a defensive revolver. I'd also like to revisit the test with an acquaintance's 6" model 27. Curious to see if it'd pick up enough velocity to finish tearing along the skives to expand the jacketed portion of bullet. No access to an 8 3/8" or carbine barrel.

It's but a sample of one in a crude medium but I've found no gel tests, clear or proper, of this load. What I saw was at least a reassurance that the factory load I have on hand is probably alright for now in the driving gun. It has proven reliable, hits to the sights with a regulation that is dead on or close to with most 158 grain 38 Special I've tried, has livable recoil, and muzzle flash is not as large a fireball as some.

If anyone else is looking at a box of Magtech 357B, it's probably worth buying in this lean market.
    Thanks for this. I've seen that Magtech load at my LGS, but never picked it up. It's been a while since I looked, so I dunno if they still have it in stock. I'll keep it in mind. In general, I find 357 to be much easier to find locally versus online. The prices have risen for sure, but at least some has been in stock.

I have shot a lot of the 158 gr .357 Fiocchi. I found it to be consistently accurate in my Model 19 and 3” Model 60, as in offhand 3x5s at 25 yards without issue.

From what I’m reading here, it’s not really suitable for bipeds or quadrupeds. But, I did see better groups with it than AE, GECO, or Remington from my sample size of two Smiths. Might make fine range ammo for practical practicing with a magnum round. May also be fine for bowling pins so long as the gun hasn’t been slicked up into Federal-only territory.

Ended up carrying the Remington HTP because of the LuckyGunner lab tests and local availability.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

User Tag List