Thread: Over-Pressure from Old Primers?

Over-Pressure from Old Primers?

I just bought the dies to start reloading .45 LC and was going to use some old Winchester large pistol primers I've had for probably 20 years. I loaded a few primers into resized once-fired Starline cases from HSM cowboy loads. I placed one primed case in my Uberti and set it off. It fired just fine but the cylinder wouldn't rotate. Finally got it worked around to the loading gate and the primer had obvious pressure signs. I have heard of pressure issues with old powder but never thought an old primer in an empty case could show pressure signs like that.

Could it be something with the cases?

No.
    What happened was that the primer generated pressure in the primer pocket and pushed the primer back against the recoil shield, binding the cylinder.
    When firing live ammo, the chamber pressure from the powder burn drives the case back against the recoil shield, reseating the primer flush.

This is why they say to drill out the flash holes for use with primer propelled wax, rubber, or plastic practice bullets; to vent the primer into the case immediately.

You will be ok to load ammo with your old primers.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Thanks very much Jim! I had never seen this before so it had me worried. I’ll get my brass loaded up.

User Tag List