Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Livefire type 3 malfunction practice rounds?

Site Supporter

Livefire type 3 malfunction practice rounds?

Anyone used these or have any thoughts?

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...lfunctionround

Haven't used them, saw something on them a while ago, don't remember where.

If you are shooting 9mm, put a .40 dummy in the magazine, should have essentially same result.

I'm a gun gadget addict.

Got 9mm and .380 coming.

Thanks, OP

I have an older Ruger Standard that will occasionally create Type 3 stoppages as the original 60 year-old magazine has experienced a bit of spread of the feed lips, allowing two rounds to escape magazine control. Rather than retire the magazine, I still use it, getting some practice in clearing the stoppage. The manual of arms is basically the same except that the safety is used to lock the bolt rearwards and the magazine release is on the butt.

I get some practice with Type 2 with the Advantage Arms conversion on a Glock 17. The manual of arms is identical to the centerfire pistol, so it is quite useful training. The plus is it truly happens randomly as I am working on trigger control when the stoppage occurs. In general, I find .22 shooting a good way to practice stoppage clearance as the low power of the round and ammo variances create more stoppages than seen with centerfire pistols.

I looked at them but didn't order. Those have a definite service life - like 500 uses IIRC.

These are metal and are supposed to do the same thing: https://t3mt.com/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I looked at them but didn't order. Those have a definite service life - like 500 uses IIRC.

They had Cooper's Another Country for 26.00.

That's half what I usually see it so I grabbed it.

Had a copy in the 90s but lost on a move somewhere.

Comparing prices you get the metal ones in a two-pack for $35.90 ($17.95 a round) or you can get the plastic ones in a five-pack for $19.95 ($3.99 a round). Myself, I'd opt for the five-pack.

As I said in an earlier post, with the 9mm you can accomplish the same thing with a .40 dummy.

The main drawback that I see is that a double-feed and a fail-to-extract can present the same from behind the pistol and this is pretty much a double-feed only training device.

Can someone explain to me what exact malfunction this is supposed to replicate beyond the generic term "type 3"? I have never seen an actual "double feed" in a centerfire semi auto pistol where 2 rounds are coming from the mag and trying to get in the chamber. The only complex malfunctions I've seen are when cases get stuck where the extractor hook jumps the rim, and when rounds don't chamber and lock up the gun because the cases were bulged. In those cases you wouldn't necessarily be able to clear the malfunction the same way as this notional "double feed" by locking the slide back and removing the mag. I guess if I shot a gun prone to feedway stoppages this might replicate that?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

I tried them when Steve H was developing those. They work as advertised. Thanks for the link because I dont recall ever seeing the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    Can someone explain to me what exact malfunction this is supposed to replicate beyond the generic term "type 3"? I have never seen an actual "double feed" in a centerfire semi auto pistol where 2 rounds are coming from the mag and trying to get in the chamber. The only complex malfunctions I've seen are when cases get stuck where the extractor hook jumps the rim, and when rounds don't chamber and lock up the gun because the cases were bulged. In those cases you wouldn't necessarily be able to clear the malfunction the same way as this notional "double feed" by locking the slide back and removing the mag. I guess if I shot a gun prone to feedway stoppages this might replicate that?
    I agree with your last, my thought is they are good for feed way stoppages, which I you begin to clear the same way as a fail to extract.

I'm not a fan of the 'Type 1' 'Type 2' 'Type 3' 'hey look at me I'm a serious operator' jargon. Kind of nuts to expect someone to remember two things when they are starting out. We taught malfunctions in the order or occurrence in the operational cycle: Feed, Fire, Extract, Eject.

If you can clear a FTEX a feed ramp stoppage is easy. Unfortunately, these don't allow training of the total FTEX.

User Tag List