Thread: S&W Model 642 CT Crimson Trace sight in distance

S&W Model 642 CT Crimson Trace sight in distance

I am buying a S&W Model 642 CT today. I have never owned a handgun with laser sights. What is a good distance to sight it in?

Thanks

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I am buying a S&W Model 642 CT today. I have never owned a handgun with laser sights. What is a good distance to sight it in?

Thanks
    There are multiple approaches folks use.

The diode is offset low and to the right of the barrel of the revolver. That offset is extreme at point blank...but at point blank you are likely firing from a retention position so the sights are kind of irrelevant.

Keeping in mind that there is only going to be one specific distance where the dot and the bullet hole align perfectly, the closer you make that distance, the further apart the two will be at other distances. For this reason, some people keep a parallel beam, meaning that the offset is consistent no matter the distance. If you are able to do that kind of math in your head at speed and under stress, it's not a bad approach. I've found that under stress most people tend to put the dot where they want the bullet to go regardless of what sort of math is supposed to be involved, whether that's on long guns equipped with dots or handguns equipped with dots or handguns equipped with lasers.

On a snub revolver I'll set the laser up to match point of impact at 15 yards. This is well beyond typical engagement distance and yields pretty minimal offset to worry with at closer and longer distances. It also represents about the maximum distance where I can guarantee that I'm actually reliably shooting a good enough group to yield a proper zero for the laser.
    3/15/2016

I have a 642 with CT laser grips. I sighted it in so that laser dot and POI coincided at 12 yards, as that is the longest unobstructed distance in my house. Given the likely engagement distances even outside my residence and considering the limitations of the gun and user, I'm satisfied that is a reasonable compromise.

Site Supporter
    I used an offset/ parallel zero on my M4 in Iraq. I do the same with my crimson trace laser grips. The first pair of laser grips on my 642 I sighted in at 10 yards. It was dead on at that range but it was then off high left at 25. It was off too much so I went to to the offset zero. I know many don’t shoot a snubby at 25 but it was part of our Dept qualification. I was amazed how much a laser grip increased the shoot-ability of a J frame.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 09-03-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have generally sighted in lasers for pistols at 50 feet. That should keep the distance between point of aim and point of impact at no more than the distance between the bore and the laser at up to 100 feet. Most of my laser-equipped handguns are tiny pocket pistols, 100 feet is likely beyond the realistic usable range for these pistols.

Thanks for the input! Looks like there is several ways to go.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I have a 642 with CT laser grips. I sighted it in so that laser dot and POI coincided at 12 yards, as that is the longest unobstructed distance in my house. Given the likely engagement distances even outside my residence and considering the limitations of the gun and user, I'm satisfied that is a reasonable compromise.
    I'm not 100% sure of the exact distance, but mine is set up so both sights (iron and laser) are on the same spot at the furthest distance in my house.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I have the LG405 grips. They are great for recoil attenuation in Airweights. I wish CT made the same cushy design for K Frame Airweights.

The laser is a joke in bright daylight. I cannot discern it in bright sunlight at 15yards on a standard silhouette target.
    12 yards does sound about right nonetheless. I was close enough at 10 yards that I stopped there.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    On a snub revolver I'll set the laser up to match point of impact at 15 yards. This is well beyond typical engagement distance and yields pretty minimal offset to worry with at closer and longer distances. It also represents about the maximum distance where I can guarantee that I'm actually reliably shooting a good enough group to yield a proper zero for the laser.
    This is roughly equivalent to what I do. At general self-defense ranges, its certainly close enough for government work. Also, my zero hasn't wandered much, but it is a good idea to check it once in a while, especially with a gun that gets shot a bit. They do sometimes tend to wander a bit.

User Tag List