Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing Extended Mags in USPSA P?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Do you find that your 17 round mags and mag release get buggered from repeated insertion? If you're gentle with your mag insertions, it should be ok, but when you slam one in that's a lot of force on the mag ledge and release. Sig p320s can be permanently damaged by over insertion of mags (bends non-replaceable ejector).

I would be more inclined to use a longer mag extension on a G19 mag if you are trying for longer mags. But if that's the problem, maybe you need a bigger gun?
    This is not an entirely bad point. I personally have never had nor noticed a problem with this, but I generally have had a dedicated game G19 and set of G17 mags (I think I usually rolled out with 10?) and while I never had an issue I also never looked to see if there was one developing either.

If someone already had a batch of G19 game mags, and was going to have to buy a replacement set of G17 mags I might be inclined to go with extensions too.

I assume that even the +4/5 of something like this would still fit in the box? And would be both Production (loaded only to ten still) and Limited legal, and even CCO legal, should someone decide to stray later?
    https://tarantacticalinnovations.com...-40-magazines/

Is there a more betterer or equal gooder-but-less-expensiver option out there? Does a +2/3 get one to G17 length?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    @RJ back when I shot USPSA matches regularly I used to shoot with an LEO who always shot a glock 19
    out of his duty gear because his work gun was a glock 19 too. He was a solid A class shooter. @GJM posted recently about a dude who is shooting with USPSA a glock 26 and kicking ass. Since you’re there for self improvement I say local matches are a perfect place to experiment to see what size mags work best as reloads for you.

While I’ve gone full gamer in Archery one thing I always enjoyed about shooting competitions was running the same gun I wore to and from matches. (Back then that was a 1911 I added a beaver tail and higher viz sights too). Or the same rifle or shotgun I had in the closet for social purposes.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Thought I’d drop this question here, even though my basic premise has changed.

I’m taking a break from USPSA to move house in the next two-three months. At the same time, I decided to transition to dots for carry and competition. I bought a G34 MOS and a HS 507c as a ‘starter kit’, as it were.

Since I’ll now be shooting CO, I will be loading my G17 mags to capacity.

My question is, in terms of stage planning, will I find I need +4 or +5 extensions in CO, or at my level, does it matter? I’m currently D at 36%, so being honest, most matches I’m just competing against myself and the other shooters near the bottom.

And if I do end up buying extended basepads, what’s the go-to brand/type?

TIA.

Only you can say if it matters.

For Glock mags I like Taylorfreelance, they’re very secure.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    My question is, in terms of stage planning, will I find I need +4 or +5 extensions in CO, or at my level, does it matter? I’m currently D at 36%, so being honest, most matches I’m just competing against myself and the other shooters near the bottom.

I have done something similar. I primarily shoot Production with my Walther P99, but I also have run the same gun in Limited with its stock 15-round mags. It was fun, and even 15-round mags opened up a LOT of stage planning possibilities vs shooting Production, but getting 140mm extensions for those mags, which let them hold 21 rounds instead, opened up even more. I would say that you might not *need* the extensions at the high D/low C classification level, but if you buy them, you will 100% enjoy having them, and they will be an advantage on some stages. I don't know that there's a single best/go-to brand, but I've been completely happy with my Taylor Freelance extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thought I’d drop this question here, even though my basic premise has changed.

I’m taking a break from USPSA to move house in the next two-three months. At the same time, I decided to transition to dots for carry and competition. I bought a G34 MOS and a HS 507c as a ‘starter kit’, as it were.

Since I’ll now be shooting CO, I will be loading my G17 mags to capacity.

TIA.
    For a 6 stage match, let's assume a worst case scenario where not having extensions causes you to do one extra reload on each stage. Let's also assume each reload takes somewhere between 1s and 1.5s, for a total of 6 to 9 seconds. Is that enough time to bother you?

For the purposes of learning stage planning either 17 rounds or 22-23 rounds will take most of the pain out of it compared to shooting locap.

Also if you don't mind some unsolicited advice, I recommend that you try not to even think about being D class and don't let it pull you around excessively as you try to make decisions. Classification is a lagging indicator and it can take a long time for it to catch up when your skill level improves. Reinforcing to yourself your current classification can be bad for self-image. Sort of like the old saying about dressing for the job you want, not the one you have, I like to think of training/shooting/being equipped for the classification I want vs the one I have.

User Tag List