Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts about a reasonably priced pistol for the wife

Thoughts about a reasonably priced pistol for the wife

I want to get the wife a pistol for around the house and for a ccw. We live 70 miles away for Portland but she travels there for work. We all know the situation there. Anyhow I have a Remington RP9 and it’s to big for the purpose and also the recoil scares her a bit. We aren’t rich and on a budget. I went and looked at some Roger 380’s but I feel they might be a little snappy with recoil being so small and I feel the calibers a little small. I was thinking about a mid sized 9 mm and would like something with a manual safety till she feels completely comfortable. Also she is left handed. Does anyone own aSar USA cm9? Would like to know some reviews on it. All ideas and thought are welcome. Thanks in advance

I doubt you will find anyone on here that has put any serious time in on a Sar CM9. I would go on czfirearms.us and ask there in the clones subforum. From what I have read they are a very good value. If she is going to be running it like a SAO you wont need to worry about a long DA trigger reach or rough pull as is common with cheaper DA/SA guns . Be aware you probably wont be able to find any decent aftermarket sights for it, unless you pay a gunsmith to fit the sights. Same story for quality holsters. For those two reasons I would not consider the gun for CCW, but could still be decent for home/car defense when paired with a light.

I had a Sar K2 as my first service style and competition pistol. It was a good gun and a great value, but had a poor feed ramp design for hollowpoints.

The safe answer would be an M&P 2.0 with manual safety, I just steered my buddy towards one as a first gun. Another good option, if concealment is important or she has small hands, may be the Sig P365XL, which comes with good sights and shoots really well for its size.

Had a female coworker recently looking for a small handgun for generic self defense. She dropped by the house to look at some of mine, and one issue that quickly rose to the forefront was that she had trouble racking the slide. She's pretty active, and I'd have thought reasonably strong. Turns out, though, that she broke her wrist as a kid, and, while it hasn't remained sore, it's always been somewhat weak.

I didn't have one, but after we talked a bit, she's going to (hopefully) be able to find a Smith 9EZ or even a 380EZ, and see if either of those works better for her.

Just another variable to consider.

Site Supporter
    How does she plan to carry it? Where and when will it be carried? How does she normally dress? What level of discretion is required? What is her training and experience level?

The answers may significantly affect the choice of pistol.

Keep in mind that holster availability for the chosen gun can significantly impact the ease and comfort of carrying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Student
    Have you and your wife been to the Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas County?
    https://www.clackamas.us/pstc

Site Supporter
    I have seen many average size women struggle with racking the slide on mid and small semi autos. My wife doesn’t like recoil and prefers lightweight guns. I would seriously look at a S&W 642 loaded with 148 gr wadcutters. The light weight and simple manual of arms make it a winner. Install a crimson trace laser grip when your budget allows. A Safariland pocket holster, a flashlight and training and she has a good 1st rule of gun fighting option (1st rule- have gun)

DO NOT LOAD WITH HOT +P AMMO!!! a painful experience like that will quickly sour a new shooter.

Start with training from a competent instructor. That will give her some perspective to pick her own gun. What you think works for her may differ dramatically from what actually works for her. My wife can't handle the recoil of a Glock 19 but shoots a steel framed 1911 .45 just fine. Something about the weight and slimmer grip works for her. Besides, regardless of any legal requirement to do so, she should not be carrying without training and without the proper equipment. Training on both how to shoot and on the legality of when you can shoot and what to do in the aftermath. That's only becoming more important in this era of politicized prosecutors throwing people under the bus to appease the torch and pitchfork bearers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dontbefreakenout View Post
    Does anyone own aSar USA cm9? Would like to know some reviews on it.
    Here is the first review of the SAR USA CM9 I came across:

https://spotterup.com/sar-cm9-gen2-budget-duty-pistol/

I assume this is the one you referred to?

From the review:

"The double action pull, out of the box, is heavy, gritty, and stacks aggressively at the last minute before it breaks. The single action, right out of the box, is ridiculously gritty, has a long take-up, and has a relatively crisp break."

Here is a picture from the article showing the chamber:

Name:  SAR-chamber.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  34.3 KB

M&P Shield 380 or 9 EZ would be my suggestion.

Rather than make an equipment suggestion, I am going to recommend a book, namely The cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry by Kathy Jackson. $6.99 on Amazon. It will answer a lot of questions and prepare a woman to choose her own firearms and carry methods under an umbrella of personal safety. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XD5W80...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

There is also a blog done by the author. https://www.corneredcat.com/

User Tag List