Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: .22LR trainer: conversion bolt vs dedicated upper vs 15-22

Tried out my CMMG conversion and 15-22 mag adapter in my PSA 10.5" pistol and everything worked great. Accuracy wasn't bad either. When things calm back down I'm going to do a dedicated .22lr for these.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Update on 22Lr Conversion

Took my 22lr conversion out again today. I installed the borebuddy fixed weight, buffer, and charging handle insert. I also replaced the red dot with my PA 1-8 scope. Mainly I wanted to see if the borebuddy upgrades improved accuracy. This isn't really a fair comparison to my last session since I used a magnified scope instead of a red dot, but I had greatly improved accuracy. At 50yds Aguila went into 1.1" for 5 shots, with Federal bulk about 2". However, at 100yds the Aguila opened up more than proportionately, with a 4" 10 shot group. Interestingly, the CCI mini mags opened up about proportionately with a 2.5" group at 100yds. Oddly the mini mags hit about the same elevation, but about 3" to the right at that distance. I'm guessing that past 100yds things will really start to open up, but I really can't complain about that launching 22lr from a 1:7 barrel.
    In conclusion I am extremely pleased with the kit. With this level of accuracy I'm no longer interested in getting a dedicated 22lr barrel anytime soon. The conversion, mags, and borebuddy stuff was about $300 total, and I feel is an excellent training platform for the AR, except for longer range shooting, reloading, or anything involving multiple hits on a target.

Notes:
    -scope difference was 2.6mils elevation and .1-.2mil windage, should be easy enough to switch between 5.56 and .22lr.
    -charging handle insert completely eliminated blowback with aguila, but I still got a tiny bit with cci mini mags. Definitely worth the $10.
    -100% reliability, but I only shot about 100 rounds
    -For anything resembling precision work, it seems like different loads will hit to very different POI's, so its probably best to find one load that shoots well and buy a whole bunch of it.

I also have a CMMG 22 conversion BCG I bought a few years ago and never opened. Now seems a good time to try it in the backup backup M&P 15 Sport II that I semi-panic bought. I've read naked lead bullets, or plated bullets, or waxed bullets (depending on who you ask) can cause buildup in the gas tube. Any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    I also have a CMMG 22 conversion BCG I bought a few years ago and never opened. Now seems a good time to try it in the backup backup M&P 15 Sport II that I semi-panic bought. I've read naked lead bullets, or plated bullets, or waxed bullets (depending on who you ask) can cause buildup in the gas tube. Any truth to this?
    I don't know, at one time the common recommendation was to shoot a couple .223/5.56 rounds after you are done with the .22 lr's.

User Tag List