Thread: New Browning T-Bolt

New Browning T-Bolt

A few weeks ago I made the drive to my not-so-local awesome gun store where I replaced my prior sold SIG P365. While there I noticed a Browning T-Bolt Varmint in .22WMR on clearance. Unfortunately I didn’t take the time to really check it out but have been intrigued about it since, liking the heavier stock and barrel and that it was chambered in .22WMR, not to mention the clearance price. After a dental appointment yesterday that was a new experience in fun and enjoyment I decided to call to see if the T-Bolt was still there. I was told it was and it was placed on hold. Soon after I began the 50 mile drive each way to check it out.

When I arrived I asked to see the T-Bolt I had placed on hold. What I was handled was a Sporter model, which has a lighter stock and barrel while still being a .22WMR. I guess I didn’t specify that the T-Bolt I was inquiring about was the Varmint model, fortunately as it worked out. Looking it over I really liked the walnut stock and the feel of the rifle, and the additional $25 rebate from Browning made it an even better deal. It was in pristine shape, a concern as the clearance rack is set out so anyone can easily play with it, so I decided to take it home.

On the way home I stopped by the local Bass Pro where I bought a Vortex Diamondback 2x7x35 rimfire scope, handy since I had a credit on my Bass Pro card. Tomorrow my Browning scope mount/ring mounts arrive from Amazon. Once I mount the scope I am in business!

The T-Bolt is typical Browning/Miroku quality, with a beautiful walnut stock with nice contrast, nice blueing and a really ingenious double helix 10round magazine to go with the straight pull action. While it wasn’t cheap, being over $100 more than the CZ 457 American in .22 I bought over a month ago, it scratches a long term itch. A little bit of cleaning, lubing and a light amount of grease on the locking lugs really smoothed the action out.

Can’t wait to shoot it!!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Cool!

I found the action very rough and gritty on the examples I've handled in stores. Glad some cleaning and lube smooths it out.

The other disappointment has been the very poor quality of checkering on the stocks of recent Browning rimfires. I've seen several beautiful pieces of wood pretty much ruined by it. Would be far better if they left them smooth.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Cool!

I found the action very rough and gritty on the examples I've handled in stores. Glad some cleaning and lube smooths it out.

The other disappointment has been the very poor quality of checkering on the stocks of recent Browning rimfires. I've seen several beautiful pieces of wood pretty much ruined by it. Would be far better if they left them smooth.
    After reading your post I checked out mine. While the checkering isn’t perfect, with an overrun or two, certainly not as good as that on my CZ 457 which is laser cut, it’s pretty darn good. I think you would have to be paying attention to see the faults.

I found a light layer of grease on the locking lugs really smoothed out the action.

Site Supporter
    I learned to shoot with one of the originals. Unique rifles.

I own a lot of .22 rifles including CZs and the below T-Bolt Varmint Reaper .22LR is my favorite walking squirrel rifle. Not the lightest trigger but with Ely Subsonic and an Element 2 it’s absolute death by headshot if I do my part. Very fast follow ups if you manage to shank one also.

Name:  194218CE-314F-4591-8A0D-5DA1D87084E7.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  72.4 KB

Mounted the scope this evening. Really happy with how it turned out. Can't wait to take it to the range!! Name:  IRS20201219_211609(reduced).jpg
Views: 215
Size:  36.3 KB

Just returned from the range where I put 50 rounds of Federal Champion 40gr fmj down range. I dialed the scope in at 50 yards, the maximum range at the indoor range close to my house.

Long story short, I am very happy with the the new Browning! When I did my part it shot very accurately, with rounds touching not being unusual. Unfortunately I didn’t always do my part . As I get older I find it more difficult to hold steady when my right elbow is in the air. Trigger was very nice, very crisp with no overtravel although a bit heavier than the trigger on my CZ 457 American (I haven’t touched the adjustment on either rifle). Action was great! Fed smooth as silk although you have to apply a bit of effort in closing the bolt. Not a big deal but you will have to re-acquire the target between shots. I really like the mag also, an ingenious design that is really easy to load. Scope was clear and easy to adjust. Wishing I had bought a scope with a maximum of 9x though. You definitely get the impression that you are shooting something a bit more than a .22lr when you pull the trigger. Any holes appearing anywhere else than intended was due to the shooter, and not the rifle. I am going to enjoy this rifle!!

User Tag List