Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Are we good with Sig now?

I would bet the whole 320 do it yourself online goof will flop as well, just wait. Seems like anything modular is introduced then falls way short, think, MPX, MCX, now P320, Soon AXG...

P320 seems overly complex. Just keep it simple, keep it safe, keep it reliable, accurate- is that so hard?

They would do better to make a P365 lower for the Glock 43x MOS upper!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    They would do better to make a P365 lower for the Glock 43x MOS upper!
    Isn't there already an aftermarket version of this ?

Disclaimer - I am affiliated as an adjunct instructor with Sig as an armorer and Shooting Instructor. I have not taught anything on behalf of Sig in a long long time as I do my own thing, but I maintain my status. I have relationships with other manufacturers, but since I take no payroll from anyone I remain candid with my opinions.

I Agree with BHI's and @HCM. Long time no chat guys.

During that general movement to .40's my unit went from P226 9's to .40 cal in the early 2000s. We utilized these P226 .40's for a decade. 60 Full-time guys were shooting on average of 7-10K per pistol per year. My training pistol went north of 200K by the time I retired it.

Besides running the training, I also ran the maintenance team, so I got intimate with some 70 of these pistols and tracked them during their lifespan. Not a huge number overall but probably a fair representation from this run of serial numbers.

If you maintained the pistol on a regular schedule, there were surprisingly minimal issues with .40. The most common failures were the trigger bar and Decocker springs. Other problems seen were broken hammer struts, but sometimes the pistol would continue to run with a broken strut as it was still captive. The strut spring would tend to outlast the strut if both experienced rust issues. These items were primarily maintenance-related or getting too much water in the pistol and rust, creating a problem in a very humid environment.

Wear items like barrels with external wear, Sig Smilies, on average, became problematic with lockup accuracy around 50K or so. I also saw 3-4 decocking levers break dead-center of the cam in very high round count pistols, mine included. Overall the pistols were quite a bit more robust than I would have expected especially in the .40 as IMO was the harshest of the calibers.

Sig is heading in a striker-fired optic ready direction, and I gave early feedback on the 320. Others here or that used to post here had closer ties and have their insight.

I will be adding the pistol optic cert in a couple of weeks while updating the rest. I will almost certainly never teach this for Sig, but it will get me some good evaluation time on their supplied pistols and optics, involve some Q&A, and get a feel for their direction. I would also add that while it is all Sig Sauer, there is a distinctive enough difference between Sig manufacturing (Sales) and Sig Academy (training) to make mention of that.

Sig? Eh......I've had decent experiences with 2 out of 3

I have a p238 that is now a safe queen but that little .380 is reliable and very accurate

I have a p365 that I've had for over a year now that has been reliable so far and I carry daily, I like it and it has given me no cause for concern.....however....

I also bought a p365XL around the same time last year and after multiple issues I finally got rid of it. It takes ALOT for me to get rid of a gun too, especially in this climate we're in. The p365XL that I had was wildly inaccurate. I have read that a large batch of them were shipped out with a faulty crown of the barrel which causes these severe accuracy issues. On top of that after awhile every 12 round mag that I had started having failure to feeds, I'm assuming they all had weak springs.

So do I trust Sig as a company? No

Do I trust Sig to produce the occasional solid gun like the original p365, p229/p226? Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Lalez View Post

Do I trust Sig to produce the occasional solid gun like the original p365
    Is that a joke? Yes, they seem to have gotten it right after at least six rolling changes, but the original 365 had a number of notorious issues, including failed strikers that turned them into paperweights, and trigger springs that turned them into paperweights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Saw a Cross in 6.5 Creedmoor last week. The rifle is surprisingly svelte. It has a nice modern feel and does not appear to be a 100 year old bolt gun stuck in a funky stock.
    Well, at least for the next few weeks/months, it seems 100% of SIG Cross rifles will be stuck in a FedEx return box. When will people learn?

https://www.sigsauer.com/crossrecall

Innovation is fine, but reliability is important.

Apparently here’s the “why”. I will save you the pain of sitting through 28 minutes of the typical video from this person. The link sends you to the relevant issue.

https://youtu.be/vM0eq_FfDNs?t=1683

Needless to mention this person - sans eye pro- is quite lucky they didn’t have the round(s) go off with the bolt completely OOB.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 11-28-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    If it's really an obvious enough difference that you can tell which parts are higher quality just by looking, and you actually understand what you're talking about, you can probably explain it with words and save me the trouble of buying a 20 year old P220.

Here's a head to head comparison (P-229) of the classic and the new Sig Legion. The shooter summarizes by saying the newer gun has better sights but older gun has a better trigger. That's because of the quality of the internal parts and assembly.

https://youtu.be/Cb2385cdSOk

I'm not going to get into an argument about it because it's just my perception. I have no way to test parts nor do I wish too. I'll take an older Sig to a new one any day because I've had both. The one exception is a really good price on a newer Sig.

I don't buy strikers so I have no experience there.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-28-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Here is my summary from another site:

"With a wife, three kids, and a few years to retirement, I will leave the beta testing to someone else. The coolness factor of the products is simply not worth the risk. I hope that someone can come along to turn Sig back into the company it once was, but it appears that as long as the dollars roll in they care less reputation than they do about remuneration."

I have said this before and still feel the same way, but with so many proven platforms I don't see why I would risk injury or death to use a Sig product. I know they have worked some of the bugs out, but it is still not worth it to me.

I love the 22* series guns, the 226 in particular. I know that technology changes as we move forward, but I wish Sig would focus again on being number one for quality and safety rather than sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Is that a joke? Yes, they seem to have gotten it right after at least six rolling changes, but the original 365 had a number of notorious issues, including failed strikers that turned them into paperweights, and trigger springs that turned them into paperweights.

Well, at least for the next few weeks/months, it seems 100% of SIG Cross rifles will be stuck in a FedEx return box. When will people learn?

Apparently here’s the “why”. I will save you the pain of sitting through 28 minutes of the typical video from this person. The link sends you to the relevant issue.

Needless to mention this person - sans eye pro- is quite lucky they didn’t have the round(s) go off with the bolt completely OOB.

No wasn't joking. The current production of the p365 since at least Spring 2019 has been money for the most part.

I meant "orginal p365" as in NOT the XL, sorry for wording. I'm well aware of the "initial p365's" many many issues, thus me waiting until Summer 2019 to purchase one, and that one has been great.

The p365XL? I wouldn't take one even as a gift after my experience with the one that I had

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post

That Sig could release that rifle in that condition is outrageous. Hard to think what's worse: either they knew about the potential issue and unethically rushed it to market anyway without even basic testing, or they didn't know and were just mind-blowingly incompetent.

I'm a satisfied P365 shooter (mine's from Dec. 2019), but man every time I hear another issue like this, it reinforces why I've never wanted to risk getting into the modern Sig platform pistols. I wouldn't have even gotten a P365 except many folks here vetted them and found them solid.

User Tag List