Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we good with Sig now?

Quote Originally Posted by AJD21 View Post
    Not hard to make a pistol the size of the Shield that works well, make one the size of the P365 that has the same capacity and things get trickier.

Pretty sure the Shield had a recall/safety issue if I recall.
    They had one that affected a limited serial number range, and no other issues. Fortunately the 50 or so I was responsible for were not effected. S&W got in front of it and fixed it. It required the replacement of a single pin, IIRC. Sig outright accused folks who had problems with the 320 of lying, including those who caught a bullet from one.

You either make a gun that works, or you dont. Sig has about a decade and a half of poor QC and beta testing on their end users under their belt. I was a VERY satisfied user of their products, until I wasn't, having exemplary CS until a certain someone took over the company. Perhaps they will restore their former glory at see some point, and I'll look at them again. Perhaps not. When my agency went to Sig from S&W twenty years ago I was very pleased, because the Smith of that period was every bit as bad (if not worse) than Sig today. The worm has turned, so to speak. I'm now running M&Ps with complete satisfaction. And if they go the way of today's Sig, they will be replaced with something else. I managed a fleet of about 600 of each, and had fewer problems with the M&P. I readily acknowledge that could end with a change in their corporate culture as well. I learned a long time ago to marry brand loyalty with function and service when it comes to choosing a firearm.

Has anyone tried birch wood Casey barricade? Seems like it might be a good option. I didn’t know about the mag release rusting. I checked both of mine and they are good. I find it strange the front sight rust and the rear didn’t since it’s more likely the rear has been exposed to sweat.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Has anyone tried birch wood Casey barricade? Seems like it might be a good option. I didn’t know about the mag release rusting. I checked both of mine and they are good. I find it strange the front sight rust and the rear didn’t since it’s more likely the rear has been exposed to sweat.
    Eons ago, I used it (when they called it "Sheath") on the M9s aboard the USCG Cutter I was assigned to. It worked very well, and those guns got plenty of salt water and air on them. I continued using it throughout my LE career and still do on some parts of my guns, although Slip is pretty much my go to. Ivecalso had good luck with Sentry Solutions Marine Tuf Cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    They had one that affected a limited serial number range, and no other issues. Fortunately the 50 or so I was responsible for were not effected. S&W got in front of it and fixed it. It required the replacement of a single pin, IIRC. Sig outright accused folks who had problems with the 320 of lying, including those who caught a bullet from one.

You either make a gun that works, or you dont. Sig has about a decade and a half of poor QC and beta testing on their end users under their belt. I was a VERY satisfied user of their products, until I wasn't, having exemplary CS until a certain someone took over the company. Perhaps they will restore their former glory at see some point, and I'll look at them again. Perhaps not. When my agency went to Sig from S&W twenty years ago I was very pleased, because the Smith of that period was every bit as bad (if not worse) than Sig today. The worm has turned, so to speak. I'm now running M&Ps with complete satisfaction. And if they go the way of today's Sig, they will be replaced with something else. I managed a fleet of about 600 of each, and had fewer problems with the M&P. I readily acknowledge that could end with a change in their corporate culture as well. I learned a long time ago to marry brand loyalty with function and service when it comes to choosing a firearm.
    I hear ya. I have no issue with Sig because I haven’t experienced these issues first hand. I learned that there is no such thing as a fool proof brand or model so unless my personal ones give me issue I don’t talk trash on it. Sig will continue its march towards market dominance whether I defend them or not and for better or worse. Everyone else’s MMV.

I basically won’t consider a first gen Sig new product because there is always something wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by THeHumbleMarksman View Post
    I basically won’t consider a first gen new product because there is always something wrong

FIFY.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    The sharp practices of SIG as it has become are not really in question are they? Don't get me wrong, there are always people who will defend something because they have some sort of vested interest in it or they are fetishists... and contrarians with the same motivations are legion... but is there still any doubt? SIG has qc and ethics issues (as do most manufacurers) but SIG seems particularly passive-aggressive - for lack of a better term - about it.

SIG the organization may contain some wonderful and worthy people, but SIG the organization is an oleaginous dissembler which I would not trust babysitting my own or anyone else's kid. They have demonstrated that they know how to buy a government contract, and in the end that beats knowing how to design anything. There is nothing earth-shattering about the P320, nor is there a great deal genuinely new about the P365 magazine capacity; they can combine the known and the possible cleverly, but I suspect they half-assed the r&d of the P320 knowing that enough people would be hypnotized by the cachet of "government issue" to haul them to success by being free guinea pigs until the right combination of component quality and penny pinching balanced everything out. The P365 and P320 are in some ways the latest flies on the Mobius flystrip of what one might describe as "American mass (hysteria) marketing, defensive and gaming handgun division."

I have personally come full circle back to DA/SA hammer guns and even dabble in 9mm 1911s, so I can sit here and play sarcastic social critic when it comes to striker-fired polyguns and pretend my own butt doesn't shine like a baboon's. But trust SIG as it is constituted today? Those willing to buy their wares and bet their life on them can assume that burden, but I won't. If the 320 and 365 ultimately become the most reliable, most accurate, most user-friendly and advanced "volkspistolen im der welt" in their respective classes, and failure rates drop sharply while round counts become astronomical, well, I guess somebody was going to do it eventually.

Oh, wait...
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

^^^^^^

Mad props for "Oleaginous"

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    ^^^^^^

Mad props for "Oleaginous"
    I agree, excellent vocabulary, and I agree with many of the points made, but the time line of the central argument fails logic... unless somehow Sig knew they would receive the contract at least three years ahead of time.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    but the time line of the central argument fails logic... unless somehow Sig knew they would receive the contract at least three years ahead of time
    Perhaps. I certainly wouldn't insist on it.

But...

Back when I worked for an outfit that actually came up with business plans, I saw so many alternate plans and (what I considered) outlandish scenarios set so far out that absolutely nothing in the business world - particularly where it intersects and inbreeds with politics and government - strikes me as impossible or even improbable. If the timing is truly problematic, the mindset may be less so.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List