Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we good with Sig now?

Are we good with Sig now?

The PF groupthink for the last few years has been that Sig quality control and management has been going down the tubes, and the only good Sigs are old Sigs (painting with a really broad brush here). However now I am seeing more and more attention on the P365/XL and P320, not just here but across the industry. It feels very much like Sig is going to take over Glock's market share in the next 10 years based on what I am seeing around the P320.

I am just wondering, have we changed our opinions on Sig, or is this just playing with new toys? Have they shown that they know what they are doing with these new striker guns? Do we trust them?

For full disclosure, I just decided I needed a single stack 9 to replace my PPS I divested years ago, and chose to go with the G43 over the P365. I don't regret my choice, but am wondering if I'm entering the fudd phase of my shooting career.
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    I’m not. It was a Glock day yesterday, and will be a Glock day today.

Mrs RJ bought a P365 last May. We shoot it seldom but it’s laser accurate.

I traded a G43X for a P365XL in May. I have 640+ through it of AE115 mostly, plus some GD and HST. It’s had no issues shooting. I bought three more mags ($50 ea, ouch) and a holster shell for it for my USPSA rig. I shot it in a local match Friday (I’m very poor at USPSA, 36% D shooter). While reloading after a Stage, I discovered one of the mag followers had barfed up and through the feedlips. Not sure how. I managed to stuff it down and carried on with the match.

I had ideas of buying another P365XL for EDC, or perhaps a P320 for USPSA, to replace my Gen 5 Glock 19 I usually shoot. Based on the somewhat delicate nature of the XL, and the fact I can borrow my wife’s P365 when I need to, I’m going to swap the P365XL in on a Glock 48 for EDC very soon, and keep shooting the G19 in matches.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    The PF groupthink for the last few years has been that Sig quality control and management has been going down the tubes, and the only good Sigs are old Sigs (painting with a really broad brush here). However now I am seeing more and more attention on the P365/XL and P320, not just here but across the industry. It feels very much like Sig is going to take over Glock's market share in the next 10 years based on what I am seeing around the P320.

I am just wondering, have we changed our opinions on Sig, or is this just playing with new toys? Have they shown that they know what they are doing with these new striker guns? Do we trust them?

For full disclosure, I just decided I needed a single stack 9 to replace my PPS I divested years ago, and chose to go with the G43 over the P365. I don't regret my choice, but am wondering if I'm entering the fudd phase of my shooting career.
    Playing with new toys.

My agency is issuing P320s. Though I shoot the 320 slightly better I will continue to exercise my option to carry a personally owned Glock because I don’t fully trust the 320. I don’t believe the 320 has been full “debugged.”

I’m not worried about QC with our issued guns due to the contract requirements (our guns have a unique SKU) but I do not have similar faith in the QC of commercial guns including those sold via SIGs Individual Officer Program. We’ve had issues with some commercial purchase P365s and have a a couple fail armorer inspection due to QC/manufacturing defects.

SIG won the MHS by undercutting Glock on price, basically supplying the M17/18 to the military near cost. This was actually brilliant because they will more than make up the profits via the collateral sales generated by the US military adoption.

SIG has also been engaging in real innovation in firearms design but they have issues with both execution /QC and with following through on projects and product lines. For example promising caliber conversions and alternate configurations of modular systems and never actually releasing them.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-02-2020 at 12:16 PM.

I like the old Sigs. The military and LE can buy all the new ones if they want.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’m not. It was a Glock day yesterday, and will be a Glock day today.
    Ditto

Hammertime
    Nope. Thankfully just got rid of my last Sig (2022, which to be honest is a decent cheap gun).

Name:  BF3D1DDA-EFBE-43E1-9774-0521426022FC.jpg
Views: 1991
Size:  54.2 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Unpopular Opinion:

I honestly don't know how anyone can think Glock is a better company than Sig. The products may be better, but the company isn't any better. As a result, if you're okay buying from Glock, you should probably be okay buying from Sig.

___

So, if you set aside the corporate argument. We're only left with a quality/reliability argument. I think the P320 is overall a bit chintzy, but it is here to stay. If you want a P320, buy one, I'd say buy a M17 or M18, just because it seems the thumb safety equipped guns are better (no 'discharge' issues). Otherwise, plastic guns all seem about the same to me, so I don't really care. You can jack up the front sight and park a M&XDVP320G19 under it and for the most part I can't tell the difference.

User Tag List