Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canick TP9SFX 9mm

Canick TP9SFX 9mm

Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I've been reading a lot of threads and I have learned a lot. I'm also new to enjoying shooting hand guns. I grew up hunting and shooting all types of guns from muzzle loaders to 44 magnum revolver.
    I currently own a Taurus G3C.
    I am also looking at the Canick but I haven't seen any reports on this gun. Does anyone own 1 or shot 1? Is it worth the purchase? Is it too big to carry? I have not held it so I don't know. I've found 1 online that I may purchase if there are good reports on it. Or forget about it?

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I've been reading a lot of threads and I have learned a lot. I'm also new to enjoying shooting hand guns. I grew up hunting and shooting all types of guns from muzzle loaders to 44 magnum revolver.
    I currently own a Taurus G3C.
    I am also looking at the Canick but I haven't seen any reports on this gun. Does anyone own 1 or shot 1? Is it worth the purchase? Is it too big to carry? I have not held it so I don't know. I've found 1 online that I may purchase if there are good reports on it. Or forget about it?
    I dont own one or shoot one, but a good friend of mine who is also a pretty serious USPSA competitor uses one and has had very good luck out of his three over the last year, probably 30-40k rounds on them. I think its a decent budget minded gun. As for using one for CCW that really up to you and how large of a gun you like to conceal, for me its a little larger than I want to daily carry but its very doable with a quality holster and gun belt.
    FN America DSM
    Cajun Gun Works and Shooters World Powder shooting team member

Lots of reports on this gun, just got to know where to look.

Here is my report.

Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

They’re basically Turkish Walther clones. They tend to come oversprung from the factory, but they can be set up to run well.

I really don’t think you’ll find many people here saying a service-sized handgun is too big to carry. Body shape and size, belt quality, required dress code, and holster design dictate what you can conceal. Being slim or athletic helps. Good posture helps. Carrying appendix in a purpose-designed holster helps. Wearing untucked shirts with medium-weight fabrics, either dark in color or patterned, helps.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    Welcome to the forum. Blessing to you and yours in this time. For gaming/plinking- rock on.

For serious defensive work, you will find a strong preference her for Glock/HK/SW M&P when considering striker fired pistols.

For many, a quality belt and holster make carrying any full sized weapon quite doable. I carry/ccw a Glock 35 in a CCC Shaggy or Keepers Beta Test Holster most days. I am 6'2''ish/205 lbs ish/44L coat/34ish waist.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I'd encourage you to look to more mainstream choices for dual carry and competition duty.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    They’re basically Turkish Walther clones.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd encourage you to look to more mainstream choices for dual carry and competition duty.
    Yup. They're not even really that much less expensive than the Walthers they copy, so if the way the Caniks work appeals to you, looking at the Walther PPQ and/or P99 as a more respected version of the same might be a viable option. Failing that, as others have already said, Glock is hardly ever the wrong answer when the question is "what's a good striker-fired pistol in <insert caliber here>?"

The TP9SFX is a big gun geared for compitition. I owned one for a couple months. Seemed pretty good. It had a cheaper feel than other polymer handguns. If you are looking to carry and want striker fired polymer, I would go with the M&P M2.0 every time.

This gun has gotten some following in competition circles. From standpoint of shooting performance it appears to be at least noninferior to all other polymer options out there. They signed one of the best competitors in Nils and he seems to be doing no worse in CO and Production than he did before. Locally a couple of decent M class guys run it and it doesn't stand in their way. Company seems to handle adversity by issuing recalls so that's one better than others. Aftermarket support seems to be growing. I've seen them choke in matches but I didn't know what ammo or post factory mods were done. I don't think I'd have a problem gaming with one but it just doesn't have enough history for me to carry one.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This. If it was just a range gun, then fine, whatever floats your boat. But if you're planning on carrying it, I would rather go with a less option'd-out model of a more established maker--a G19 or 17, H&K VP9, etc--and then get a dedicated competition gun that fit my budget later. Or just adjust my competition goals and even what sport/class/whatever I select to fit the carry gun. It's easy to think that, because shooters that do well have a gun with X features or that look like Y, that that's what's necessary to do well, but it's just not the case. They have nice stuff because competition is important to them and they spend a lot of time on it, many would do just as well with entry-level guns.

As to whether it's too big for carry, yeah, I think it's outside what most people would realistically carry on a day-to-day basis. I carry a G26 daily and it's a little thick. I started carrying my G34 instead due to some specific threats I received at work, and I can't imagine carrying something that big if I had a normal job, working with normal people, with normal requirements for concealment.

User Tag List