Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we good with Sig now?

Internet stories of SIG - which I don't discount at all - concern me far more than Glock. My actual experience, however, says otherwise.

I've had a pair of IOP P320s which worked flawlessly. I'm relatively low on my round count on my P365XLs, but so far no malfunctions. I've had five Glocks, a Gen 3 G19, a Gen 4 G17, two G42s, and a G43X that gave me fits, some more regularly than others.

Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know. But, for something truly innovative - which I consider the P365 series to be - I'm willing to give SIG a chance, with the caveat that I need two guns, and once the carry gun is vetted all the mileage is going on the practice gun.

Sig=no thanks

Not to mention I don’t really see a lot of people putting 10k+ of rounds through the smaller guns like the 365s.

I don’t get why someone would want to run a sig with all the on going drama with them.(classic pre Cohen sigs and the older X5 guns are excluded and are fabulous guns)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I have a Sig516 that I have run harder than any other carbine I have ever owned and it hasn't had a single hickup. I have an M400 that has been a solid gun so far but far from the number of rounds for me to declare good to go. I've run a new SP2022 and police trade in mid 2000s P229 through a 2000 round inspired schedule and many rounds after that with no issues what so ever. I have a Mosquito that sucks (but that is made by Umarex so it really doesn't count in my opinion). I've also purchased a couple Romeo 5 red dots that have been working just fine (although I haven't taken them bad guy hunting in the Hindu Kush).

All of this in the past 10 years.

So discounting the Mosquito (which again is not a Sig product), I have had nothing but luck with Sig products.

That said, I definitely shoot the Beretta 92 series pistol better than the P series.
    The Romeo 5 is made in China so it’s really a Holosun... my two have been good as well but realistic expectations are important.

The 516 was designed by the guys who designed the 416 for HK (see what they did there). The design is solid, QC wise, well SIG is SIG but I haven’t heard of too many issues with the 516, 716 or the M400. The M400 has seen a fair amount of LE Agency sales including some state police organizations.

Of course the other side of that coin is the SIG 556, 522, P239 etc owners who have been dropped like a rock in terms of support. Hopefully SIG continues to support the 516.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-02-2020 at 09:30 PM.

I responded in full back in January on this topic here:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-a-P320/page17

To answer the question, "Do I trust SIG?" The short answer is an emphatic NO. Not even slightly.

I responded in full back in November on this topic here:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....t-a-P320/page3

Following my usual vetting process, I wouldn't have a problem using a SIG gun. My last two firearms purchases were SIG products.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

The P229 is the only pistol that I can shoot like a freaking laser beam without effort. I love shooting it and find it to be the "best" pistol for me if ease of use is #1 criteria. However, parts production move from DEU/USA to ISR/IND, QC is tiered before it just fucking stops eventually, 100 variations of the P229, the -1 frame/magazine, Checkmate OEM magazines, and the price tag is Franklin Mint fuckery. This is not even considering things like P320/M17 fiasco, Cohen's illegal sales to Colombia, or Cohen himself after his tenure at Kimber and role at Sig to this very day.

The 16 year old putrid corpse of Sig-Sauer is still being raped daily by corporate bean counters and marketing department MBAs, yet people buy this Kel-Tecization with gusto.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    To answer the question, "Do I trust SIG?" The short answer is an emphatic NO. Not even slightly.
    This, but I am trying. I've gone full retard, thought I still love Glocks and HK's. I now have two 365's and two XL's. One of each that is approaching decent numbers in terms of round counts without failures of any kid which sickens me a bit given the current market conditions for ammo. I still have kept an iron sighted pair of my most vetted slim line Glocks for daily carry. I want to trust the P365 series, I want to use them for deep concealment replacements and possibly everyday using the XL given its modularity and optic flexibility but they will have to prove themselves. So far things looks promising as I haven't had and issue with either that I am stacking round counts on. I will say that my samples of the P365 seem to run better than the G43X's with +P ammo, slide velocity seems a touch too fast with the G43X and 124gr +P vs the tinny P365 with XL grip. At this point I have some hope that I am not going to end up fucked. My foray with the Rattler has been excellent and again adds to my hopes. I have even begun to look at a 417 iTread or whatever they call it as a possible purchase thought I am really jonesing for an SR25. @GJM want to sell me one of the three you probably have for some PF bucks?

Long story short, Sig seems to be listening, watching and fixing issues as they crop up at least what I have seen from the P365, (not so much with the P320). Even though I hate that Sig has used customers as product test bed, (others in the industry have, though not acceptable it is common) many of my initial gripes seem to be handled and I am not seeing any concerns as each gun is closely approaching the 1K mark like before, I hope that will continue as I put milage on all my stuff. I still have concerns over unintended discharges occurring due to design but that is slowly dissipating with use and lack of search results for issues with the XL's. A video on design by a firearms engineer helped calm my nerves as well though I would still be leery of carrying a P320 unless it was a model that HCM pointed out.
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-02-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    The P229 is the only pistol that I can shoot like a freaking laser beam without effort. I love shooting it and find it to be the "best" pistol for me if ease of use is #1 criteria. However, parts production move from DEU/USA to ISR/IND, QC is tiered before it just fucking stops eventually, 100 variations of the P229, the -1 frame/magazine, Checkmate OEM magazines, and the price tag is Franklin Mint fuckery. This is not even considering things like P320/M17 fiasco, Cohen's illegal sales to Colombia, or Cohen himself after his tenure at Kimber and role at Sig to this very day.

The 16 year old putrid corpse of Sig-Sauer is still being raped daily by corporate bean counters and marketing department MBAs, yet people buy this Kel-Tecization with gusto.
    While Cohen is pretty much the Devil incarnate in terms of profit over substance he is not to blame for the sakes to Colombia. They weren’t “illegal” either unless you are some German Green Party commie.

SIG sold those guns to the US GOVT who in turn sold them to Colombia who paid for them with US aid money. So basically the US gave them to Colombia.

Having countries use US aid money to buy weapons from the US via DOD Foreign Military Sales is a routine practice, it’s how the Afghan national police wound up with SIG SP2022s, S&W SF9s etc.

Site Supporter
    First, I have to admit being relatively new to actually using pistols with a relative amount of harshness. Second, in that, I'm just a freaking hick that likes to shoot too much, to shooting 1000-1500+/month isn't in a "duty" sense, but I do try and train a fair bit. Third, my platform of choice is a 92. My first pistol was a G22.3, and it's still here, with a Wolf 9 barrel in it, that had the threads cut off recently.

Being as I'm working on getting a training company off the ground, it seemed a not horrid idea to have a few of the "common" pistols outside my every day Pasta Blasters. Hence why my Glock got a conversion, plus an M&P 2.0 C, and I'd had the itch for a P320 "just because". After grabbing a P320C here a couple months ago, it hasn't got three hundred rounds through it yet, but damned if I don't like the feel of the thing. I don't like the trigger all that well, the reset sucks, and it needs a different front sight, but most of the other things it brings to the table, I'd really consider it if I wanted to go to a striker fired gun. Since I don't have the long track record with disliking Sig, then I can't blanket state I hate them, but even if they are legitimately sorted out, I'd still be leery of carrying one AIWB, but I also don't know that I want to carry a Glock there, either.

That's my .02, and you got what you paid for, my opinion. It might suck, but it was free.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Of course the other side of that coin is the SIG 556, 522, P239 etc owners who have been dropped like a rock in terms of support. Hopefully SIG continues to support the 516.

Totally forgot my 522! It's been a champ as far as reliability but I have to admit the plastic furniture is looser than I would like. I've handled guns that fit a lot tighter but I HAD to get the one in green because it is frankly the closest I will ever come to owning a 550.

As for the 516, the last time I looked I saw that it is no longer being sold by Sig which does not bode well for it, that said Midwest recently released a new forward handguard for it. I recall Larry Vickers saying something to the effect that the LE agencies with the money were all going with the HK due to CDI while agencies that didn't have the $$$ were going with DI guns so that kind of left the 516 in the middle.

User Tag List