Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fight Back Law Atty Lin Wood

I am falling in the mindset of “Kyle is not a hero at all, but he is not a villain”.

He is a kid who made a stupid set of choices... but was not out for criminal reasons. We can go the chain of causality On Kyle... “but for his actions, none of this would have occurred”. But in this case, that can be applied to the original “victim”. But for his actions of attempting a disarm Kyle, none of this would have happened.

He is a lot like Zimmerman, who I am also not a fan of. But like Zimmerman, being stupid is NOT a crime. Prosecutors look for motive. Was Kyle out to loot, steal, assault? Or was he simply doing what he thought was the right thing, and thought he was helping deter crime? Both of them got in over their head, but was there any criminal intent in their action?

At the moment the trigger was pulled, would a reasonable person have felt they risked death or serious bodily injury if they failed to react? Kyle is outnumbered 50 to 1, and (Per the police affidavit) has an aggressive guy charge him and try and pull the rifle away from him, as another man cranks off a pistol round about 20 feet away, only then does Kyle fire... Did he reasonably fear for his life when he pulled the trigger?

I think EVERYONE involved made poor choices. The first incident for Kyle is on video, but is so dark that it is not clear cut. However, the witness statement in the affidavit makes it look like Kyle was on the defensive when he shot. You try and take a gun from someone, there is a good chance you could get shot doing it. The other shootings look pretty clear cut. The mob thinks they are “doing the right thing by stopping a murderer”, and the kid reasonably believes they are going to beat him to death in the street. But he is not indiscriminately cranking off rounds. He fires enough to stop immediate threats, and clearly tries to retreat in each instance. He even ran to the police and told them he did it... That does not scream mass shooter, he did not try and hide his actions.

The kid is stupid for being there, but everyone out that night was stupid for being there. Trying to be a jr policeman was stupid, and charging/attacking a kid armed with a rifle is equally stupid. Convict him on the minor in possession of a firearm. But murder? That is a steep hill for the prosecutor to climb. With the location of the trial, the jury pool could help the kid. Had this happened in Chicago or Portland, the kid would be toast.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 09-07-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Rittenhouse was never the aggressor. My understanding is he was attacked for trying to extinguish a dumpster fire.

I'm super late to the party, so I imagine this might not get read. But before donating to celebrity lawyers it's worth considering if celebrity lawyers are generally trustworthy. Consider the whole Micheal Avenattie episode.

I don't know anything about these guys, they may be totally wonderful. But conservatives especially are not great at spotting hucksters wrapped in patriotic causes recently, and there are certainly rumblings that everything isn't perfect here: https://www.thedailybeast.com/kyle-r...-past-revealed

I didn't realize his "lead attorney" isn't a criminal defense lawyer? That seems like a really bad idea when you're accused of a crime.

EDIT: Looks like this was mentioned:

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    That might be but I might suggest waiting to the defense team actually settles in place for donations. With politically involved cases, one has to be careful if the lawyer who volunteers is:

a. Legit
    b. Trying for PR
    c. Willing to make you the defendant a martyr for the cause (tells you not to take a good deal, so they can have a high profile trial for the cause or their own PR.

Now, these guys might be quite up and up. These are general principles to be wary of for attorneys on either side of the political activist spectrum.

From what I read, Rittenhouse has a good case and he needs competent lawyers who aren't also in it for other motives. Hope he gets that. His priority is to not become a felon and to keep his butt out of prison. He shouldn't let someone convince him to make a stand for any cause other than his own well being.

Yes, as I noted earlier, nobody should be giving their money to some lawyer claiming it'll go to a good cause. The money should be given to the boy's actual legal defense fund.

According to the GiveSendGo fundraising sight, Kyle's mother has directed all donations to go to the #fightback foundation.

While I'm not convinced he pick the best lawyers he could have, it's never the less the ones he picked.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1300927120282132480
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Already with the TV PR to make political statements?

I hope there's a criminal law guy at least "on the team" but my hopes tend to come to naught.

Site Supporter
    More on the debate of making this a politically charged case vs. a focused self-defense case.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kenosha-s...140852004.html

Criminal law vs. "public perception law"

I think the game has shifted, and no longer should we think only in terms of the facts of the incident, black letter law, and case law. I think if you're up against a Crump or CNN, getting in front of public perception has more to do with your outcome than how good a litigator you have on your side. Ask LTG(ret.) Flynn, Zimmerman, and Darrren Wilson if their life outcomes were decided by an impartial legal system, or PR. I think if I shot someone to the left of an identified AB member with swastika tats, I'd prefer to have Lin Wood in my corner rather than Mark O'Mara at this point.
    Jon

Site Supporter
    Just to keep up to date with lawsuits: https://www.newsweek.com/kyle-ritten...ooting-1558640

Wood is involved with the election, your opinion of his actions will depend on where your head is on the results.

Google it, if interested.

User Tag List