Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Has 2020's Riots Changed Your Mind On Shotguns? Still Viable?

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Maybe when they're shooting at me from 100 yds. A city block is 100m by 200m. Now you know.

A 100 yd shot with a pistol? No thanks, I'll take a carbine for that one.
    Maybe I would just go to cover, but that's just me. Winning a gunfight isn't as important as not getting shot, to me. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post

Let me ask you this, how do you justify shooting someone at 100 yards? No one ever brings that up, but I always love the guys spouting off about smoking targets at 300-400 yards and then I ask them how they see that playing out in a civilian self-defense scenario. It COULD happen and I might get drafted to be the Hedgehog's replacement in randy movies, equipment differences notwithstanding.
    Well, I've watched a crowd of angry 'protesters' march down the street in front of my apartment building at least five times over the past five years and twice in 2020. At least two of those times, those same crowds looted and set fire to buildings and/or flipped over and set fire to cars as they marched through the retail corridor that our street intersects with.

So, when they wander down my street I have a tendency to watch them like a hawk looking for early evidence of firebombs. Our entire block is residential, with only one building being a single-family home, all others are multi-family, multi-story, residence buildings and close enough together that a sufficient fire could potentially engulf multiple buildings and endanger the lives of dozens if not close to a 100+ people in short order. I don't like thinking about having to drop someone at 100+ but if I see someone start whipping out and lighting molotovs - the justification would be there, given the law and the circumstances.

In 2020, it seems disturbingly more possible than it was once, to find the justification for these things.

Let me ask you this, how do you justify shooting someone at 100 yards? No one ever brings that up, but I always love the guys spouting off about smoking targets at 300-400 yards and then I ask them how they see that playing out in a civilian self-defense scenario.
    Easy. They were shooting at me. The bullets coming my direction are just as deadly as the one's I'm sending towards them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Has it entered into the calculus at all that the incident everyone is referring too was with ball ammo in the AR? (And/Or do we know for certain it was ball? The details all seem to be in flux.)

Would it change things at all if instead of comparing #00 to M193/M855 you compared it to a 64gr GDSP or similar bonded soft point? For the unarmored / soft armored use case, what about 55gr Vmax?

That seems like a relatively big detail.
    We don’t know what round the kid had but it’s not that big a deal. A rifle round a 2600- 3000 FPS does a lot of damage. Bonded SP are barrier blind and help bullets stay in the body but that is more about options in a fight and collateral damage.

I’ve seen multiple people shot with Vmax first hand, the results were not noticeable different than those shot with green tip etc. 5.56 at close range does a lot of damage.

1) Long guns > handguns
    2) Finn Aagard was spot on when he said “shot placement is 90% of killing power”

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

Shotgun is also easier to make hits on small fast moving targets in the dark obscured by smoke.

Like heads.

That becomes important when the bad guys start wearing armor.
    The above reasons are much of why I kept right on preferring the shotgun, for night shift police patrol, in Houston, Texas, right up to my retirement in early 2018. Except that I also liked keeping a few hardened slugs handy, for the occasional need for making holes through vehicle bodies, because sometimes terrorist like to follow trends, such as driving stolen lorries through crowds of people, as we saw in Europe. The shotgun still rules the night.

I updated to the Benelli M2, in 2016, if I remember correctly, semi-retiring my 870P. My pumping arm and shoulder were not aging well. I’d briefly used an HK/Benelli M1 Super 90, in the early Nineties, but it had beaten me so badly, I had returned to using pump guns. When I returned to Benelli, with the M2, the Comfort-Tech stock made ALL the difference; life is good.

Yes, I have been adding AR15 weapons, recently, because a lightweight auto-loading carbine certain has its roles to play, but my pair of M2 Benellis are my go-to long guns, for most realistically foreseeable problems, and my old duty 870P still has its niche, as a stockless, pistol-gripped short-range weapon. My “Other” Firearm Remington Tac-14 is the newest member of my Familia La Escopeta. (When there is no stock, to keep shouldered, it becomes expedient to do much of the pumping action by shoving forward with the weapon hand, mitigating the frailty of my aging pumping arm’s joints.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I have AR shaped objects with from 10.5” to 20” barrels. My main “social” shotgun is a 24” Stoeger M3K with a Holosun 507k sight and a 5 round extension on the mag tube. It has been 100% reliable with any reasonable load. Sporting clays, skeet or trap with an ounce of #8 shot? No problem! 8” steel plate with slug at 80 yards? No problem! A 10 round load of 00 buck is 90 projectiles worth of disapproval headed down range in very short order. That’s three “standard size” AR magazines worth of Hell & Damnation.

The main drawback to the social shotgun is the ammo is bulky and I haven’t found a good way to carry extra in a realistic manner. The 6 round cards velcro’d on the side of the action help. But the silly thing is as big and heavy as an M-1 Garand when topped off and ready to rumble. Realistically, with a more normal 18” barrel & 8 shot tube Kyle Rittenhouse would still have prevailed.

The ARs are comparatively svelte and accurate out past 200 yards without breaking a sweat, my wife is totally convinced that she is the angel of death with her AR. Being a redhead that is probably true...

Really it boils down to what you prefer, what is available in your jurisdiction and what you can lay hands on if “stuff” hits the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post

If I were standing in front of my home or business protecting it from this mob I would not want to have a 12 gauge shotgun.

And once you shoot one of them, the rest keep chasing you.

I mean, I wouldn't want to be there at all, but if I had to be because my family was in the structure behind me, then I think I'd want to have a carbine.
    1. Standing in front of a structure may not be the best way to defend that structure.

2. Use a repeating firearm, in order to facilitate engaging multiple opponents.

3. Again, standing in front of a structure may not be the best way to defend that structure. Or the occupants of that structure.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    1. Standing in front of a structure may not be the best way to defend that structure.

2. Use a repeating firearm, in order to facilitate engaging multiple opponents.

3. Again, standing in front of a structure may not be the best way to defend that structure. Or the occupants of that structure.
    This ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    We don’t know what round the kid had but it’s not that big a deal. A rifle round a 2600- 3000 FPS does a lot of damage. Bonded SP are barrier blind and help bullets stay in the body but that is more about options in a fight and collateral damage.

I’ve seen multiple people shot with Vmax first hand, the results were not noticeable different than those shot with green tip etc. 5.56 at close range does a lot of damage.

1) Long guns > handguns
    2) Finn Aagard was spot on when he said “shot placement is 90% of killing power”
    Good to know. I'll revise that down from "a relatively big detail?" to "not so much" then.

The rifle-related things a pistol guy learns on a pistol forum is always intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I think it's only a big deal in the event someone is armored. Otherwise, the gap between terminal efficacy of 5.56 vs. 12-gauge buck might as well be the Grand Canyon, even Gold Dot. Nothing a 5.56 can do, even at the muzzle, is going to compare to what 12-gauge buck can do out to ~25y.
    Bear in mind I'm not comparing single shot vs single shot. Just wondering out loud if changing from ball to sp/bt makes a difference when choosing between the two.

Seems as though the answer is a definitive "not really".

Maybe I would just go to cover, but that's just me. Winning a gunfight isn't as important as not getting shot, to me. YMMV.
    One may have to fight one’s way to cover. Perhaps?

Yeah, I know, I am the Normally-a-Shotgun guy, so I might have to use use a .357 GP100 to cause much worry to a opponent 100 yards away. (Note the “worry” part. My aging eyes are not as helpful, anymore.)

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List