Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Has 2020's Riots Changed Your Mind On Shotguns? Still Viable?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The Flite-Control is what it's loaded with and is my "precision" round (6" group at 25Y) for taking out individual threats.
    The Military buckshot is for getting pellets into as many zombies as I can per shot (18" pattern at 25Y) if I get trapped by a mob.
    The problem I see with that 'solution' is that Murphy sez you'll always have the wrong rounds loaded in the tube for the situation you face.

In reality when you are talking about 'putting pellets into as many zombies as I can per shot if I get rapped by a mob' is there much difference between 6 to 10 inches and 18 to 22 inches?

If your mob is packed shoulder to shoulder in ranks, then in theory you might put pellets on a couple of folks per shot with a wider pattern, but, enough so to gain any tactical advantage? Not so much.

On the other hand, seeing the guy next to, or slightly in front of you, take 9 pellets (or a slug) to the face, might tend to make one shy away from the guy with the boom stick.

I love shotguns, but 25 yards is getting into rifle territory.

To the comments about the AR15's effect in this instance, I noticed the street cleared out pretty fast immediately after skateboard and bicep guys were shot. I didn't see any more takers chasing him in fact, I believe one guy looked at him and put his hands up right after bicep guy was hit.

Site Supporter
    Slower firing and reload times gives the armed folks in the mob more time to shoot you. Also you aren’t selecting different rounds in a mob run and gun melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    To the comments about the AR15's effect in this instance, I noticed the street cleared out pretty fast immediately after skateboard and bicep guys were shot. I didn't see any more takers chasing him in fact, I believe one guy looked at him and put his hands up right after bicep guy was hit.
    The psychology of a loud gun followed by the soft thud of a body hitting the deck? If so, a shotgun or a .44 mag would have worked as well.

He was lucky they weren't committed to taking more casualties in order to kill him, or that they weren't as well armed as he was. When I think of myself in these situations, I always get killed like Shughart and Gordon, which is why I try like hell to avoid them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The effect of 00 buckshot at 100 yards. Draw your own conclusions.

https://youtu.be/sxymVClJVhU

I just put a red dot on my carbine which is what the dude in the video had on his shotgun I think, not sure. I'll see if I can do better.
    Non-sequitur. All of the shots I saw fired in this incident were either near contact or maybe a car-length away.

A carbine is a carbine and a shotgun is a shotgun. IME, the guys declaring the shotgun obsolete SUCK at running shotguns. It is easier to maintain proficiency with a carbine. If you view a shotgun like I view a sniper rifle, a specialized weapon with special techniques and zeroing, requiring dope cards for range and load performance, it's very viable, even preferable in some circumstances, to the carbine.

Also, why would I not transition to my pistol for the 100 yard shot? I certainly would.

Let me ask you this, how do you justify shooting someone at 100 yards? No one ever brings that up, but I always love the guys spouting off about smoking targets at 300-400 yards and then I ask them how they see that playing out in a civilian self-defense scenario. It COULD happen and I might get drafted to be the Hedgehog's replacement in randy movies, equipment differences notwithstanding.

People are dangerous; guns are just tools. Stop focusing on the instrumentalities and concentrate on the skills that allow one to be effective.

Site Supporter
    Arm guy had a semi handgun and approached him. If he was really trained and into killing him, that would have been it. These encounters have yet to display firearms skill. Which is a good thing, sad to say.

The militias standing around are a joke if some opponents were really into ‘tactics’.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Let me ask you this, how do you justify shooting someone at 100 yards?
    Well, to be fair he did mention zombies, though he didn't say whether they would be fast or slow. :-)

*just trying to bring a little levity here before we all get too tense* :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I've felt for some time that pump guns(or any gun that requires two hands for normal operation) are obsolete for combat. I tried to trade our 40 870s at work in for some autos, but "autos are too complicated"

I'm a big strong man, I'm a LE shotgun instructor and 870 armorer, I've been to a Rob Haught class and can shuck an 870 as fast as anyone. But a lot of force on force shows the hits to hands. You gotta have a gun you can run fast one handed, and not one handed like Edmundo Mireles, who could have been flanked easily with a mobile opponent due to slow rate of fire. With a nine shot Benelli M4, you're still in the game one handed.

Then with the Kyle situation, rolling around on the ground, good luck running the pump.

Years ago I took a 120lb beginning shooter woman down to the range and she was doing mag dumps with a Benelli M1 Super 90, shooting 5 shots in the time she could shoot one with an 870. I was doing one handed mag dumps. It's just a better setup IMO.

I don't understand the ditching of slugs. With a vang card of buck on the receiver, and a vang card of slug on the stock, and a Micro T2, you have a nice accurate distance option.

I lucked into a new Benelli M4 LE this week and pick it up tomorrow, it's got the 7rd mag tube, for $1699, so I am stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post

I lucked into a new Benelli M4 LE this week and pick it up tomorrow, it's got the 7rd mag tube, for $1699, so I am stoked.
    This is the exact gun that does the best job of answering/representing one half of this thread, for the reasons you note, plus: 5 in 7 seconds SAS guy. JMO. I’m not any expert long gun shooter, either flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Non-sequitur. All of the shots I saw fired in this incident were either near contact or maybe a car-length away.

A carbine is a carbine and a shotgun is a shotgun. IME, the guys declaring the shotgun obsolete SUCK at running shotguns. It is easier to maintain proficiency with a carbine. If you view a shotgun like I view a sniper rifle, a specialized weapon with special techniques and zeroing, requiring dope cards for range and load performance, it's very viable, even preferable in some circumstances, to the carbine.

Also, why would I not transition to my pistol for the 100 yard shot? I certainly would.

Let me ask you this, how do you justify shooting someone at 100 yards? No one ever brings that up, but I always love the guys spouting off about smoking targets at 300-400 yards and then I ask them how they see that playing out in a civilian self-defense scenario. It COULD happen and I might get drafted to be the Hedgehog's replacement in randy movies, equipment differences notwithstanding.

People are dangerous; guns are just tools. Stop focusing on the instrumentalities and concentrate on the skills that allow one to be effective.
    Maybe when they're shooting at me from 100 yds. A city block is 100m by 200m. Now you know.

A 100 yd shot with a pistol? No thanks, I'll take a carbine for that one.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List