Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Has 2020's Riots Changed Your Mind On Shotguns? Still Viable?

The riots have changed nothing for me. Pandemic plus crime wave and ammo shortage have. I can get what ammo I can get when I can get it.

I need to re-zero my AR at 50 yards assuming the load reliably runs the gun if I can't find a pre-vetted load. Versus my 590 where I need less ammo to check reliability (ignition, smooth movement in mag. tube, and feedway) and zero at the much more convenient 25 yards. Patterning can be integral to the few tubes of shells run through to check reliability. A spare 590 magazine spring is much easier to come by in a panic than STANAGs. Most shotgun work is manual and can be drilled dry with dummy shells (various reloads, positively and reliably running the slide, etc.) as a further convenience. The sight offset on my AR needs regular periodic livefire drilling to stay automated versus the scattergun's much lower sights. And I expect serviceable shotgun loads to come back into reliable stock at reasonable prices before .223/5.56mm supply stabilizes.

I'm prioritizing shotgun for those reasons but am admittedly more likely to have a bear try tearing part of my home down than a red horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    But survivability on that looks particularly low to me.
    Muzzle blast is responsible for quite a lot of it. The shot makes a point of entry into the closed system and compromises the container. Gasses exiting the muzzle have nowhere to go but to pressurize and subsequently burst the vessel. Outside of firm or loose contact shots, wounds are still plenty sporty but that particular popped balloon is a hallmark of contact shots to the head, most commonly from below. Even "misses" that shear the frontal lobes are horriffic and "survivors" tend to be life support vegetables ultimately succumbing shortly to secondary infection and/or system failure in hospital. One case used in a class which particularly stuck with me was ultimately deceased of meningitis started around a tooth embedded in the brain.

The shotgun is a close-range beast but expecting such a Tarantino-esque scene at longer range is a bit of a stretch. Which may be preaching to the choir on this forum but may clarify things for lurkers to be worth the pedantry.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    The riots haven't changed my opinion of a shotgun, I still dig em. I still prefer an AK to an AR, and I still would think I'd be on a suicide mission in a mob of angry people with only me, myself and I.
    I am not saying that one should ever underestimate an enemy, but neither belonging to a flash “mob,” nor being “angry,” is conducive to good marksmanship, so, remaining disciplined, and dispassionate, might well enable one to prevail.

In a distant sandbox, some Brits/Scots, who had run out of ammo, charged bayonets, and prevailed against multiple AK-armed opponents. I try to keep their example in mind. Training, and discipline, count for something.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I am not saying that one should ever underestimate an enemy, but neither belonging to a flash “mob,” nor being “angry,” is conducive to good marksmanship, so, remaining disciplined, and dispassionate, might well enable one to prevail.

In a distant sandbox, some Brits/Scots, who had run out of ammo, charged bayonets, and prevailed against multiple AK-armed opponents. I try to keep their example in mind. Training, and discipline, count for something.
    ...and warrior spirit.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    The riots haven't changed my opinion of a shotgun, I still dig em. I still prefer an AK to an AR, and I still would think I'd be on a suicide mission in a mob of angry people with only me, myself and I.
    Context matters.

You alone vs angry mob out in the open will depend on how determined the mob is. People don't like getting shot.

You alone in a reasonably secure residence is a whole different ball game, especially if you know what you are doing in terms of tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...and warrior spirit.
    And when you're in a dark shit hole far from home and you're being shot while you're trying to save your men and find yourself down to your Kabar and beretta just take a second. Grin, and say. WW1stSgtKD.

My first shooting was with a shotgun and Federal Premium. It took a single round at 5 yards at the top edge of the sternum to turn that guys lights off.

I feel perfectly comfortable with a Beretta 1301, 7 rounds in the tube, 1 ghost loaded, and two more on the side.

There's a reason that the term Violence of Action exists. I seriously doubt that if you're moving forward and in posture towards a crowd, using your sights, and giving whatever lines up a single serving of buck, that it's going to even take 8 rounds to break a crowd of leftist douchebags in the USA.

This isn't the Bakara market and you're not Gordon or Shugart.

Those bitches will break as soon as you give it to them with a clear mind and full heart regardless of what you have in your hands.

I do love me some P/F but frankly conversations like this are tedious.
    Last edited by SouthNarc; 09-15-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Some Wisdom From Single-Shot Era

I am reminded of this bit of wisdom from the single-shot musket era, which we can adapt to the era of four-to-eight-shot shotguns.

From Robert Rogers’ Standing orders:

18. Don’t stand up when the enemy’s coming against you. Kneel down, lie down, hide behind a tree.

19. Let the enemy come till he’s almost close enough to touch, then let him have it and jump out and finish him up with your hatchet.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

One Soldier Uses Benelli To Kill Five Jihadists

The shotgun is mechanically able to do the job.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-seconds.html

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I am reminded of this bit of wisdom from the single-shot musket era, which we can adapt to the era of four-to-eight-shot shotguns.

19. Let the enemy come till he’s almost close enough to touch, then let him have it and jump out and finish him up with your hatchet.
    Of course, @SouthNarc would use his breaching hammer.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

18. Don’t stand up when the enemy’s coming against you. Kneel down, lie down, hide behind a tree.
    This lesson is particularly relevant, for Mr. & Mrs. Pink Polo Shirt.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List