Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Has 2020's Riots Changed Your Mind On Shotguns? Still Viable?

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Reportedly part of this situation.... at 19:00 in.
    I wasn’t there.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It has it uses. A guy I worked with was out hunting birders with his dogs. Well he found more than that. All of a sudden his dogs start running back to him chased by an angry emu. Not wanting to shot the emu, he fired birdshot in front of it to skip into its legs. It halted and ran away. Folks let emus loose in TX when the pyramid schemes collapse.
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    (off topic warning)
    Number of years back I was bowhunting whitetails in Sumner County, Kansas. Dozed off in the tree stand mid morning and woke up to the sound of leaves crunching. I'm slowly looking around for what was surely gonna be a monster buck but I didn't see any deer. My eye's lock on three giant birds standing about 30 yards from my stand. Must be dreaming I told myself. Took me a minute to realize I was wide awake and three giant birds really were standing in front of my stand. Get back to camp that night and the outfitter tells me a farmer in the area opened the gates and let the emu's loose when their value dropped below the break even point.
    Just a few months ago I assisted a DPS trooper who was out with a loose emu that was endangering traffic. I was preparing to put it down with my M1S90 when a game warden arrived and did so with, I believe, a .22 rifle.

I think the 12 guage would've been quicker and more humane.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Just a few months ago I assisted a DPS trooper who was out with a loose emu that was endangering traffic. I was preparing to put it down with my M1S90 when a game warden arrived and did so with, I believe, a .22 rifle.

I think the 12 guage would've been quicker and more humane.
    I shot a rabbit with a .22 a couple of weeks ago for the first time - I usually use a shotgun. I may use a .22 again, with a hot hollow point, but honestly? The shotgun is quicker and more humane on even just a rabbit. Unless he hit that emu in the head, I can’t imagine the .22 was a great choice.

Oh, he shot it in the head, but it was a big, tough old bird and it took a couple of follow ups to ensure that it didn't suffer unduly. I think that 9x 00 pellets of Flight Control would've been a more effective "OFF" switch.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

If they are breaching the window or door/just in the hallway then "in for a penny; in for a pound".They all get whatever I can accurately serve them.

Out in the open these Anarcho-Marxists are not afraid because they've been "given assurances." So if you don't let loose immediately some will stand and challenge you and the others will bombard you with concrete, fireworks or worse.

In that scenario, the person that may need shooting can be singled out if need be.

The tougher concern is the aftermath as Mayors and Governors don't seem to want to deal with these Communist thugs.

Use what you have and what you're proficient with, I guess.

Oh, and don't think they won't come back and burn your house down...

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I shot a rabbit with a .22 a couple of weeks ago for the first time - I usually use a shotgun. I may use a .22 again, with a hot hollow point, but honestly? The shotgun is quicker and more humane on even just a rabbit. Unless he hit that emu in the head, I can’t imagine the .22 was a great choice.
    That's actually the primary reason I don't hunt, having to finish off rabbits.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Put me down for "wow" also. That's harsh. Violent crime is rare in the region I live in but when it happens, it's always drug rips. Usually they seem to be working off good intel, sometimes they aren't. I knew a cop in Vancouver who'd bailed out two people who were hiding in a house as a mistaken identity case like this was going down. They managed to hide and call 911 without being detected as three guys tore through the house looking for the money or drugs they were convinced were on site. To the victims it was just baffling and terrifying, but the cops figured out the motive instantly, and knew perfectly well the guys inside would be armed.

Despite this, the first two guys on scene ran it full tilt because they didn't know how long it would be until the people inside were discovered. Whether that was a good call or a bad call tactically isn't really for me to say, but they were lucky and the guys inside gave up rather than trying to shoot their way out, and the two cops rescued the people in the house. I have heard the 911 call; it's pretty intense. And that's without kids, and without the attackers ever even seeing the people in the house or knowing it was occupied.

What you describe is definitely worse.
    Cops that would throw tactics to the wind to get there NOW in the efforts to protect those two people is, in a nutshell, precisely why I cannot abide blind hatred for LEO's. I would happily buy both of those officers a good steak and a few beers on that knowledge alone, doesn't matter an iota to me that what they did was in a completely different city in a completely different country. I know how those two innocent people felt and I know now as an adult the mindset and selflessness it takes to add risk to yourself for the safety of total strangers, simply because you swore an oath and because it's the right fuckin' thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Reading that made my stomach hurt.
    Thankfully I've had enough time to wade through that vivid memory and it's all clinical analysis at this point. At 5 years old, I was too young and stupid to be scared - I was just absolutely raging hot pissed-the-fuck-off at those assholes. I was mad that I was a kid and was too small and weak to protect my Mom or my baby sister. I was mad that those assholes broke our phone so we couldn't call the cops, I was mad that they'd gotten away.
    If I'm being honest, the last fading ember of rage I feel about it is knowing that those assholes never will see a courtroom for what they did to my family that day, because they were never caught. All I can hope for is that as dirtbags they won the stupid prizes some other way.

Sardonically, I hope that things like Google Earth and other various nav options have reduced the frequency of those 'wrong house' attempted drug rips.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Thankfully I've had enough time to wade through that vivid memory and it's all clinical analysis at this point. At 5 years old, I was too young and stupid to be scared - I was just absolutely raging hot pissed-the-fuck-off at those assholes. I was mad that I was a kid and was too small and weak to protect my Mom or my baby sister. I was mad that those assholes broke our phone so we couldn't call the cops, I was mad that they'd gotten away.
    If I'm being honest, the last fading ember of rage I feel about it is knowing that those assholes never will see a courtroom for what they did to my family that day, because they were never caught. All I can hope for is that as dirtbags they won the stupid prizes some other way.

Sardonically, I hope that things like Google Earth and other various nav options have reduced the frequency of those 'wrong house' attempted drug rips.
    I can only imagine how your Dad felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The idea of being out of cover and fighting a swarming mob is fantasy football if you have your head on straight. These folks standing in front of car dealership or a house aren't thinking about competent opposition.
    Maybe where you live, Glenn. But not everywhere.

Anyone here living in urban Chicago, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Washington D.C., or Milwaukee/Kenosha in 2020 can tell you that the idea of a swarming mob catching you out and about isn't a fantasy. Instead of how it should be (i.e., the odds of hitting the Powerball) it is quite a bit more realistic (i.e., more like the odds of winning a $1000 playing scratch-offs).

At this point I'm not inclined to think I'm 'unlikely' to be caught in such things. In 2020 I've seen:

2x 'demonstrators' march down the street in front of my home
    3x had my neighborhood looted
    1x Been sitting at a stoplight when someone randomly began shooting, while cops simply looked on with disinterest
    3x Caught myself on the edge of 'demonstrations' while going to the store (something I had no choice but to do, since they stopped delivering due to riots)
    1x Been caught sitting at a National Guard Checkpoint trying to return home from one of the store runs

It sounds like fantasy football to you. I assure you, it looks closer to things I've seen in Mexico than things I'm used to seeing in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I assure you, it looks closer to things I've seen in Mexico than things I'm used to seeing in the U.S.
    I said the same thing just the other day, and I *like* Mexico (family there and all).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List