Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Has 2020's Riots Changed Your Mind On Shotguns? Still Viable?

Site Supporter
    That's not what I said, Rob. If a large armed mob decides to come to attack your house, standing outside with a long arm is not the way to do it. Now such has happened in the past, in the South with mobs attacking African-American homes. If I recall, they were fought from cover.

If competent folks wanted to take out the guys standing in the open in front of a car dealership, they would. IIRC, the Koreans were on roof tops - they thought this out more competently.

That was my point. It's like when we shot matches, we all knew that if we were actually running around shooting at ten opponents, we were dead.

Better to scamper away. Thus, I do not recommend standing outside in the open. The Pink and Striped Lawyers really didn't have any serious attempts to take them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    And my belief is that the odds of getting into a protracted battle with protestors are really low - this came up in another thread and some people talked about "true believers" treating the situation like a suicide bombing, and getting involved no matter what, and I acknowledge this is possible, but my belief is still that if they're trying to drag you out of your car, and suddenly the two or three most committed individuals to the task are headless blood fountains...I really don't see many people volunteering to be next.
    NSFW warning!!!!!

The below link was posted on a closed LEO site. When I watched it this afternoon, I immediately thought of this thread...and the above phrase. I've debated about whether to post it here or not, but ultimately I believe that knowledge is power, and reality beats theory.

The forum linked below is apparently open source. In the first post is a video that was live streamed which culminates in the subject committing suicide with a shotgun.
    I warn all of you up front that it is quite graphic, and quite tragic. But it is shockingly illustrative of exactly what Geordie was getting at. I don't blame anyone who chooses not to view it....there are things that once seen, cannot be unseen. Mods-please feel free to remove/edit as you see fit if it is beyond the pale, but I believe that it has educational merit.

https://www.documentingreality.com/f...2ePOKJO9tiWqLI
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    NSFW warning!!!!!

The below link was posted on a closed LEO site. When I watched it this afternoon, I immediately thought of this thread...and the above phrase. I've debated about whether to post it here or not, but ultimately I believe that knowledge is power, and reality beats theory.

The forum linked below is apparently open source. In the first post is a video that was live streamed which culminates in the subject committing suicide with a shotgun.
    I warn all of you up front that it is quite graphic, and quite tragic. But it is shockingly illustrative of exactly what Geordie was getting at. I don't blame anyone who chooses not to view it....there are things that once seen, cannot be unseen. Mods-please feel free to remove/edit as you see fit if it is beyond the pale, but I believe that it has educational merit.

https://www.documentingreality.com/f...2ePOKJO9tiWqLI
    Wow, that was pretty final. I mean I don't want to take a .177 pellet to the head and if someone pointed any gun at all at me I'd be happy to leave the riot at that point, carbine, handgun, whatever.

But survivability on that looks particularly low to me.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Thats why I trust shotguns.

I had guys behind me laugh while getting shot at " holy fucking shit man, this is like fucking Doom"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Endorsed by none other than Eddie:

Attachment 59955

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pqk1pgyV8UdIrN (PDF)

I got a reprint of that article when I went through the Academy. Several years later when I showed up as an instructor, they were still passing them out to students. I referenced the handout as an illustration of why we might want to stay off walls whenever it's tactically sound.

ETA: Please understand that the application explained in the article is not intended to be less-lethal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Endorsed by none other than Eddie:

Attachment 59955

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pqk1pgyV8UdIrN (PDF)

I got a reprint of that article when I went through the Academy. Several years later when I showed up as an instructor, they were still passing them out to students. I referenced the handout as an illustration of why we might want to stay off walls whenever it's tactically sound.

ETA: Please understand that the application explained in the article is not intended to be less-lethal.
    We practiced this at my state training program. One reason was showing that shot would bounce as shown. This was a safety concern. We were told that it was a tactic for shooting under a vehicle to hit a person hiding there and shooting at lawmen.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thats why I trust shotguns.

I had guys behind me laugh while getting shot at " holy fucking shit man, this is like fucking Doom"
    Total newbie question, but what loads were you using, and at what ranges?

(BTW, seeing that you are a veteran of Fallujah, I totally understand going out and just keeping the hound for company for a while. Tip O' the hat and a thank-you to you, sir.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Total newbie question, but what loads were you using, and at what ranges?

(BTW, seeing that you are a veteran of Fallujah, I totally understand going out and just keeping the hound for company for a while. Tip O' the hat and a thank-you to you, sir.)
    It was either federal 00 and winchester slugs or vice versa.

Inside 15 yards

I use flight control now because I dont think the loss of abillity at distances had to do with power. Just the pattern.

The riots haven't changed my opinion of a shotgun, I still dig em. I still prefer an AK to an AR, and I still would think I'd be on a suicide mission in a mob of angry people with only me, myself and I.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Wow, that was pretty final. I mean I don't want to take a .177 pellet to the head and if someone pointed any gun at all at me I'd be happy to leave the riot at that point, carbine, handgun, whatever.

But survivability on that looks particularly low to me.
    Indeed.
    If that is how a canoe is made, I think I'll stick to sailboats and wherries!
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List