Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Has 2020's Riots Changed Your Mind On Shotguns? Still Viable?

I shoot my shotguns just enough to know how they will pattern at the distances they'll be used. My 1187 has been thoroughly vetted over the years (decades) so now most of my work with it are with dummy shells doing loading/unloading/swapping shells drills.

IMO these aren't the guns to take to the range for a day of fun, but for when the chips are down and a limited number of rounds should resolve the crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    If I could figure out a no-hassle way to sell and ship my 870P to a well-known dealer, I believe I would do so. Locally, there is just not enough of a market to get anything out of it.
    What would you want for it?

Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Just sayin'...

Don't work hard, work smart.

Dude, you've got to get some landscaping in front of those.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Dude, you've got to get some landscaping in front of those.
    This ain't FL, Hambo. What the hell is landscaping?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Sales are restricted to Site Supporters in the appropriate section - LL
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Sales are restricted to Site Supporters in the appropriate section - LL
    LL - sorry 'bout that.

Retina tear repair and associated damage; it is what it is... and it no longer takes much recoil to ring my bell/bring the headaches.

The push-pull technique does help, but only so much.

The silver-plated lining of this cloud: I no longer gripe about overweight firearms and optics.
    There are probably only three people on the planet that would even care..... but my "throw it in the work truck" shotgun is an old 590 with an even older wire side fold stock.
    Instead of a cheek weld I have somewhat of a light cheek "brush". It doesn't hinder aiming and the stock glides past my cheek in recoil not into it. So no shock load to the noggin.

Sounds dumb, and counter to most shotgun/long gun technique but it works suprisingly well for me. My eye doc says I'm high risk for a detachment.
    Like you, this makes me not care that the 20" gun with a light and all the ammo I can cram on board is heavy : ) I might even add a low magnification optic.
    I do strap it on and ruck with it, but the whole point there is to tote weight.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    My eye doc says I'm high risk for a detachment.
    Like you, this makes me not care that the 20" gun with a light and all the ammo I can cram on board is heavy : ) I might even add a low magnification optic.
    It's kind of ironic that when I was younger and this thing I walk around in was working right, I was worried about keeping the weight of a gun down. Now that it is tougher for me to tote things, I am drawn to the part of the LGS display case where they keep the boat anchors and wheelweights. It has been tough to find short and handy shotguns that have the kind of weight I want to soak up recoil.

I had considered mixing up some epoxy with lead or steel shot and pouring the mix into the hollow cavity of the synthetic buttstock of my 870, but whenever I have mentioned it, people either look at me like I am nuts or they just come right out and say it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

It's kind of ironic that when I was younger and this thing I walk around in was working right, I was worried about keeping the weight of a gun down. Now that it is tougher for me to tote things, I am drawn to the part of the LGS display case where they keep the boat anchors and wheelweights. It has been tough to find short and handy shotguns that have the kind of weight I want to soak up recoil.

I had considered mixing up some epoxy with lead or steel shot and pouring the mix into the hollow cavity of the synthetic buttstock of my 870, but whenever I have mentioned it, people either look at me like I am nuts or they just come right out and say it.
    I don't know why, "sporting" shotgunners have for ages added weight if needed, look at the mercury "recoil reducers".
    I try to add functional weight (light, ammo, optic,etc) but if needed I'd strap a ton of lead on that dog ; 0 Or keep the bayonet on all the time, or whatever made me more effective.

I'm in the camp that anything that helps/benefits YOU making better hits, is goodness. I don't give two hoots what anyone thinks or what the fad of the month is, I NEED to make solid hits. Most people have physical limitations that come with age or maybe you had it since birth or from injuries, either way, shoot as best you can and use what methods YOU have to use. I live there. Even if it's not the current interweb hotness.

Do whatcha got to do.

I do love me some light weight (just over 5 LB) carbine, but in .44 Remington Magnum, recoil isn't a factor there.

User Tag List