Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying this revolver?

Thanks everyone for the help.

It's a big star in the movie "Silence of the Lambs."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGP100 View Post
    Model 13 was FBI field agent carry gun at one time, was it not? Those are sweet.
    It was the FBI issue back in the 1980s. Great service gun!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Model 19's have adjustable sights. 13 has fixed sights.
    Sorry to be nit-picky in my inaugural post on this forum, but not all Model 19's have adjustable sights. While they are somewhat scarce there is a Model 19 P that has fixed sights (like a 13) but is otherwise a 19 with an extractor rod shroud. These are based on the 19-5 and were made for the Peruvian police. The contract was cancelled before being completed. Appx 1500 guns went to Peru, almost 500 were sold domestically through S&W's regular distributor channels and the remainder (a little over 1200) went to Wischco, S&W's European distributor in Germany. The German guns will have European proof marks. Aside from the fact that they were fixed sights, another unique feature was that the front sight had a groove milled up the ramp and yellow paint applied. They were made in 1987 and carry S&W Product Code 100727.

The Peruvian Police Commandant, when asked why they didn't just buy Model 13's, replied that his men sometimes used their guns as clubs and he didn't want a rash of bent ejector rods.

I know all this esoteric Model 19 lore because I've missed two of them at various auctions in the last two months. They tend to bring $1000 to $1200.

Thanks for putting up with such an obscure first post.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The French bought some of those, too; 19-3 action, shrouded ejector rod, fixed sights, 1973-74.
    THREE INCH BARREL AND ROUND BUTT! What could be finer?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Sorry to be nit-picky in my inaugural post on this forum, but not all Model 19's have adjustable sights. While they are somewhat scarce there is a Model 19 P that has fixed sights (like a 13) but is otherwise a 19 with an extractor rod shroud. These are based on the 19-5 and were made for the Peruvian police. The contract was cancelled before being completed. Appx 1500 guns went to Peru, almost 500 were sold domestically through S&W's regular distributor channels and the remainder (a little over 1200) went to Wischco, S&W's European distributor in Germany. The German guns will have European proof marks. Aside from the fact that they were fixed sights, another unique feature was that the front sight had a groove milled up the ramp and yellow paint applied. They were made in 1987 and carry S&W Product Code 100727.

The Peruvian Police Commandant, when asked why they didn't just buy Model 13's, replied that his men sometimes used their guns as clubs and he didn't want a rash of bent ejector rods.

I know all this esoteric Model 19 lore because I've missed two of them at various auctions in the last two months. They tend to bring $1000 to $1200.

Thanks for putting up with such an obscure first post.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Oh you'll fit right in here, bud. Thanks for that knowledge bomb. I'll probably never see one, but it was cool to know.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'll probably never see one, but it was cool to know.

There you go. Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Site Supporter
    @Pizza Bob - If that’s yours, we need targets to go with it.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The South American version of The Hebrew Hammer!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

...The Peruvian Police Commandant, when asked why they didn't just buy Model 13's, replied that his men sometimes used their guns as clubs and he didn't want a rash of bent ejector rods...
    Just that quickly, I have a new white whale.

User Tag List