Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Scotty Stories: My First LAPD Duty Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    I just want to sit around a fire and listen to DB, WD, Uncle Scotty, Whammy Moreno, ER Walt, and any other old hands talk cop shop then, now, and gear.
    You'd probably get a kick out of this very long term product overview:

"Holsters exist to be used. The idea of stuffing a carry gun into a pocket, waistband, purse or anywhere else without a holster is now on par with shooting without hearing protection...

...Yet that was not always the case. Back in the days before we knew better, it was common to simply tuck a handgun someplace convenient and count on it being there when it was needed. This did not always work. One of the best life lessons is this: Whenever possible, learn from the mistakes of others.

One evening, I was eating in a fast-food establishment in Detroit...A gent walked in, intent on ordering food. As he strode to the counter, he suddenly got a hitch in his step, clutched at his leg, and the result was a handgun sliding out of the cuff of his trousers. Propelled by his stride, the handgun skidded along the floor and smacked into the counter with a loud crack. Nonplussed, he picked it up, turned, tucked it back in his waistband and walked out...Clearly, he was not using a holster. But then, half the patrons there probably weren't, either..."

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...ip-grip/248015

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Reading this made me nostalgic ... 35mm film canister
    These things used to be everywhere and used for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In general I agree with what Jared Reston says here:
    "meat moves when you shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    When I was young I used 35mm canisters for interesting stuff. Now I’m old and have to use pill bottles.
    Stupid digital cameras.

The cannisters are a big part of the reason I still shoot film somewhat regularly. Always and forever the best lightweight spice containers for camping. Tupperware used to make excellent containers about the same size but tapered and a hair less useful but lighter. I've only got a couple of those left surviving.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I miss the aluminum ones with the screw-caps.

Hell, I miss Kodachrome.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I keep watching these:
    https://youtu.be/uX7CsUlORS8

"Liquid Debriefing"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Hell, I miss Kodachrome.
    Paul Simon, aka Mr Edie Brickell is still around....

😝

pat

The thread has drifted, so I’ll add a story. My father was a family practitioner, and when he died, my wife and I continued to see one of his partners. There were 4, including my father, and all but one carried a pistol in the office (Philadelphia). This is the story of the eldest partner, as told to us by Dr. X:

I was examining a patient, and ask Dr. Y to come in for a look. He was wearing a lab coat, and struggled to get his stethoscope out of the pocket. All of a sudden, the stethoscope snapped out of his pocket, and a stainless derringer was sent twirling through the air. It slid along the floor, bounced off the wall, and came to rest against my shoe. Without a single word, Dr. Y picked up the derringer, and proceeded to examine the patient.

Dr. Y had passed away before my father, but was a pistol aficionado. Dr. X told me he had at least a dozen staged throughout the office, and often talked about the best shot placement for a one shot kill. They did have drug addicts try to shake them down for whatever was kept in the office (PCP’s also have a pharmacy license, so that leaves a lot to choose from), and I know my father brandished his SP101 on at least one occasion. I don’t think they ever called the police. In any case, they didn’t use holsters.

Site Supporter
    Back when I was a young deputy sheriff in Southern Arizona I was introduced to "Border Carry" by a former Border Patrolman who had transferred to a position as Criminal Investigator for the Coronado National Forrest, covering all of SE AZ.

He said the best way to carry a large semi auto (1911 or Hi-Power, lesser pistols need not apply - lol) was to tuck it into your waistband on the strong side, and to do it butt forward. The proper place for it was the hollow just behind the point of the hip. And, he advised I cinch my belt a notch tighter, unless I felt lucky as he put it. Since he was the man who got me into LE and whom I considered my mentor, I tried it.

In my experience it was the best way to conceal a 1911 or in my case a Commander, that I ever found. Of course it wasn't all that secure but it was easy to carry and conceal. When I met Milt Sparks and he made a "Nelson Summer Special" for me I kind of gave up on Border Carry, but over the remaining years of my career and after retiring I did have occasion more than once to tuck my Commander or an Officer's ACP in the waistband of my jeans, butt foreword of course.

Dave

User Tag List