Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncle Scotty Stories: My First LAPD Duty Pistol

Love all Uncle Scotty stuff.

Here's a post I put up about some videos with him on Vimeo:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....video-on-Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I am so sharing this video.
    Reminds me of your Carol Daly revolver post.

Site Supporter
    I used one of those double speedloader carriers for a while. It was a single unit with one loader up and one loader down. I carried two, so I could carry a total of four speedloaders. The problem was, the flaps for the speedloaders on the bottom (carried upside down) had a tendency to become unsnapped, causing the speedloader to fall out at unexpected and inconvenient times. I used HKS speedloaders, and if you dropped a loaded one on the pavement, they tended to spit all the rounds out. That was inconvenient.

I still have those in my plastic bin of revolver stuff.

I switched to a triple speedloader carrier (might have been made by Tex Shoemaker) and a single dump pouch holding rounds in a Bianchi speed strip.

I still have all that stuff.

I have found that Bianchi speed strips last for about 25 years, and then abruptly become brittle and break.

The S&W 67 was a common police duty gun around here until the transition to auto pistols started in 1988 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post

I have found that Bianchi speed strips last for about 25 years, and then abruptly become brittle and break.
    My experience is virtually identical.

(As well as the date of transition from wheel gun to semi-auto, except as a backup.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    I used one of those double speedloader carriers for a while. It was a single unit with one loader up and one loader down. I carried two, so I could carry a total of four speedloaders. The problem was, the flaps for the speedloaders on the bottom (carried upside down) had a tendency to become unsnapped, causing the speedloader to fall out at unexpected and inconvenient times. I used HKS speedloaders, and if you dropped a loaded one on the pavement, they tended to spit all the rounds out. That was inconvenient.

I still have those in my plastic bin of revolver stuff.

I switched to a triple speedloader carrier (might have been made by Tex Shoemaker) and a single dump pouch holding rounds in a Bianchi speed strip.

I still have all that stuff.

The S&W 67 was a common police duty gun around here until the transition to auto pistols started in 1988 or so.
    Tex Shoemaker custom made me a black, basketweave, brass button triple speedloader pouch when I started out in 1993. My nickname in the academy was Tackleberry. I did not find it funny.

LAPD never allowed hollowpoints for revolvers did they?

IIRC, they carried softpoints, and initially used softpoints in the Beretta.

I'm sure he keeps it loaded with JHP nowadays.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    LAPD never allowed hollowpoints for revolvers did they?

IIRC, they carried softpoints, and initially used softpoints in the Beretta.

I'm sure he keeps it loaded with JHP nowadays.
    As he explained in the video they did not allow hollow points when he started but later switched from lead round nose solids to .38 hollow points.

You might be thinking of NYPD who went from a LRN solid to 158 grain +p LSWC solid which remained the revolver duty load through the transition to autos with 115 grain Winchester USA brand white box. After a few shoot throughs they finally went to 124 grain +p gold dot in the late 1990a.

The consensus among my mentors was the 158grain +p LSWC “worked ok if you could shoot.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As he explained in the video they did not allow hollow points when he started but later switched from lead round nose solids to .38 hollow points.

You might be thinking of NYPD who went from a LRN solid to 158 grain +p LSWC solid which remained the revolver duty load through the transition to autos with 115 grain Winchester USA brand white box. After a few shoot throughs they finally went to 124 grain +p gold dot in the late 1990a.

The consensus among my mentors was the 158grain +p LSWC “worked ok if you could shoot.”
    That's probably it.

The SWC worked OK? Did it get any expansion?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    That's probably it.

The SWC worked OK? Did it get any expansion?
    It worked ok as long as it was placed somewhere vital. No expansion unless it hit bone but with good shot placement expansion is redundant. Hence the qualifier about “if you can shoot.”

The SWC shape helped the permanent would channel and helped minimize shoot throughs. The round nose was notorious for skipping off the skull or other large bones like the pelvis if it hit at an angle. Hence Jim Cirillos interest in specific bullet shapes
    Last edited by HCM; 09-02-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Wouldn't advise today, but I never felt under gunned with a department issued S&W pencil barrel model 10 when I was a few decades younger. As Col Cooper opined, the past was a different country.

User Tag List