Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are GP100 7 shot .357's reliable now?

Range trip - very successful

I took the new 7 shot .357 GP100 to the steel range this morning with a wide variety of reloaded cases and had NO problems with cylinder rotation, lock-up and extraction.

I used only 105 rounds of moderate power target loads for the first part of the test because of how hard it is to replace what I shoot. The loads were all Acme no lube groove Hy-Tek coated 148gr button nose .358 wadcutters, firmly crimped in the crimping groove, with enough 2400 to give me an estimated 1000fps, using Winchester small pistol primers. There were 5 cylinders of my hoarded Starline cases and 10 cylinders of mixed cases. I shot about half at a steady pace single action, and the rest rapid double action. The gun got pretty hot to the touch!
    I finished with only 5 cylinders of mixed cases using the Acme no lube groove Hy-Tek coated 158gr .358 SWC, with a heavy crimp in the crimping groove, and enough 2400 to give me an estimated 1350fps, using Winchester small pistol primers. I shot these at a steady pace double action. The gun got hotter!!

There were NO problems with any function of the pistol. I consider it a very reliable example of Ruger engineering. I'm going to be OK taking this gun anywhere a reasonable person would carry a medium caliber magnum pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Pure speculation, but couldn't Ruger move the rear of the charge holes out 0.015, but keep the front of the chambers in line with the current spec? I believe that some aftermarket percussion to centerfire conversion cylinders for cap'n'ball revolvers have used this trick to work in smaller framed guns. They would leave a "blank" or unmilled chamber to make up the difference in diameters from the cartridges versus the original cylinder. This had the added effect of allowing a safe place to rest the hammer.
    No. Look at the pics Bruce in WV posted and note that all dimensions start at the center pin (centerline of the cylinder). If you move the cartridges out (or in) the barrel has to move with them and if you do that you may as well move the firing pin too to keep it centered. Plainly stated it requires a frame design change and there's no way around it. I'm just curious if Ruger now has two different frame part numbers.

Your example of a cap'n'ball cylinder isn't any different except the flash hole and nipple location could be moved slightly. It would only amount to a slightly different path for the flame from the percussion cap to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    7 shot .357s are hot. Especially with 3" barrels and fixed sights.

Kinda like that girl in my hs that wore painted on boot cut jeans, wife beaters, and chokers everyday.
    Does your wife still wear those? Mine doesn't and she'd look funny if she did.

I’m happy to hear they seem to have resolved the issue. If Ruger has these sorted, that adjustable sighted 3” gun and me may just have a love affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I’m happy to hear they seem to have resolved the issue. If Ruger has these sorted, that adjustable sighted 3” gun and me may just have a love affair.
    That Talo 3" adj sight 7 shot is getting pretty hard to find: that's why I settled on the 2 1/2" model.
    I hope Ruger brings one out as a regular catalog item.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Does your wife still wear those? Mine doesn't and she'd look funny if she did.
    She's 36 so could still pull it off. I bought her one and have tried to get her to wear it but she has only worn it on new years 3-4 years ago.

Jeans and wifebeaters she still does but is 3months pregnant now so all about the comfy clothes

She's 36 so could still pull it off. I bought her one and have tried to get her to wear it but she has only worn it on new years 3-4 years ago.

Jeans and wifebeaters she still does but is 3months pregnant now so all about the comfy clothes
    Congrats on the pregnancy!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Mazel tov!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Range trip #2

Went to the range yesterday to supplement the first test with heavier loads/bullets. I shot 75 rounds of 170gr hard cast SWC/2400/~1200fps in slow, steady double action, pausing only to reload. The gun got hot but ran perfectly! I'm even more pleased than I was before.
    I cleaned the gun and put it in the Simply Rugged Chesty Puller rig, ready to go to work in the woods and fields.

Congratulations!
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List