Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are GP100 7 shot .357's reliable now?

Pure speculation, but couldn't Ruger move the rear of the charge holes out 0.015, but keep the front of the chambers in line with the current spec? I believe that some aftermarket percussion to centerfire conversion cylinders for cap'n'ball revolvers have used this trick to work in smaller framed guns. They would leave a "blank" or unmilled chamber to make up the difference in diameters from the cartridges versus the original cylinder. This had the added effect of allowing a safe place to rest the hammer.

Wouldn't recessed chambers solve it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    I have an older production 2 1/2" 7 shot .357 GP100.
    The cylinder bound up, wouldn't eject spent cases or close. I returned it on a factory shipping label and Ruger is replacing it with a new one off the current production line.

Here's the big question. Have there been engineering changes that make this model 100% reliable? I'd like to keep this as a woodland carry gun; its a desirable caliber, easy to carry, and is comfortable to shoot even with full power loads.
    I was unaware of this issue, and of the subsequent "fix". (which seems worse than the problem to be honest)

Rec'd replacement gun

I received the replacement gun today. I haven't gotten to the range, but I did "try fit" a variety of cases.

My Starline cases have plenty of room between rims - visible space. A mix of commercial brass cases - I don't sort by head stamp except for the Starline - (Blazer brass, WW, Rem, Fed, Speer, and Magtech) were all much closer, but none bind against each other and the cylinder closes properly.

I won't get to the range until the middle of next week. I'll post an update again afterward with a "dirty gun" report.

Thank you Ruger Customer Service for making this a painless experience! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your engineers hit a homerun with their secret fixes to this serious problem.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 09-04-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Comparisons

Following up with closer look at the new gun using a broad spectrum of brass picked at random from a batch bought off the internet, compared to my Starline, bought new and tracked. This looks very promising.

Photo 1 of misc brass reloads pulled at random from a baggie of ammo. I got these off the Ruger forum as an unknown # of reloads and have done no case prep other than run them through the vibrating cleaner. Using my Lyman Electronic Caliper they measure:
    Blazer .440 PMC .436 X-treme .4315 3-D .432 Perfecta .433 A USA .4305 G.F.L. .434

1D8E3145-C639-4324-AF5E-CC1CA3B5EBC5 by Bruce, on Flickr

Photo 2 of Starline twice-fired, same simple case prep, measuring: .432 .4315 .4315 .432 .4315 .432 .432

6F0014F5-043C-4216-8217-E533E19AD2D3 by Bruce, on Flickr

Can you verify cylinder diameter based on post #7?

cylinder diameter was increased from 1.545" to 1.550".

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Can you verify cylinder diameter based on post #7?
    The cylinder measures 1.550 halfway between the notches and the flutes.

Thanks.

Good to hear verification they changed the size.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Thanks.

Good to hear verification they changed the size.
    Yes! This is quite encouraging.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7 shot .357s are hot. Especially with 3" barrels and fixed sights.

Kinda like that girl in my hs that wore painted on boot cut jeans, wife beaters, and chokers everyday.

User Tag List