Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Are GP100 7 shot .357's reliable now?

Yes. They are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    Yes. They are good to go.

Thanks. Wonder about the 8 shot Redhawks, I remember those having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Thanks. Wonder about the 8 shot Redhawks, I remember those having issues.
    I do t have any experience with the 8th or RedHawks , but I do have experience with the Redhawk in regards to the round butt and grips. It is a no go for me… not at all a fan of round butt RedHawks.

Apologies for reviving a dead thread, but I thought it'd be better to post to this one rather than making a new thread with the same question. Since it's 2022 and the supposedly-revised models have been out for a bit now, do we know for sure whether the 7 shot GP100s are good to go?

Anyone have reports?
    I purchased a 3 inch Wiley Clapp II (7 shot) a couple months ago. It works fine and shoots great. It has become one of my favorite revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    I purchased a 3 inch Wiley Clapp II (7 shot) a couple months ago. It works fine and shoots great. It has become one of my favorite revolvers.
    Good to hear. Sounds like Ruger has figured out the secret to a reliable 7 shot GP100 in .357. I recently got a 6 shot blued GP100 4", and I like it so much I want to get another and was considering a 7 shot. Considering when I carried a 1911 I used to have 7 rounds, it appeals to me to have a revolver in a potent caliber that can do the same with less fussiness.

Yesterday I received a new 7-shot 4" stainless GP100 in .357 Mag. So far nothing seems out of place, though I noticed the trigger doesn't seem as nice as my older blued 6-shot model. It could partly be because the blued one has far more repetitions on the trigger, but the 7-shot seems a lot heavier with more of a wall where it turns the cylinder a shorter distance. Unfortunately I won't be able to shoot it until Tuesday at the earliest.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Trigger

Hey Swampdweller,

Having had a few SP101s and I have 3 GP100s - two are the newer 7 round variety (with no issues FYI), they all required (for me) some trigger time shooting and lots of dry fire to smooth out the triggers. One of my 7 rounders I bought used online had been worked over a bit by the prior owner and has the nicest trigger. If you google or YouTube you’ll see a ton of information on on people recommending some simple polishing and spring swaps and shims to improve the triggers. Except for the used one I bought, I tend to just leave ‘em and shoot them as Mother Nature intended.
    My take on Ruger SP101 and GP100 triggers: They are like the old BMW airhead engines that, when new needed some miles on them to mate the parts and smooth things out. Once you get some trigger time and “miles on your GP100’s odometer”, I bet the trigger will be nice. If you don’t have time for all that, you can speed up the process with the stoning, sanding a few parts and swapping springs or having a Gunsmith do it as well—no shame in that. Make sure to monitor for light primer strikes when/if you do some spring swapping

Tar
    Last edited by Tarrrnation!; 05-19-2023 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarrrnation! View Post
    Hey Swampdweller,

Having had a few SP101s and I have 3 GP100s - two are the newer 7 round variety (with no issues FYI), they all required (for me) some trigger time shooting and lots of dry fire to smooth out the triggers. One of my 7 rounders I bought used online had been worked over a bit by the prior owner and has the nicest trigger. If you google or YouTube you’ll see a ton of information on on people recommending some simple polishing and spring swaps and shims to improve the triggers. Except for the used one I bought, I tend to just leave ‘em and shoot them as Mother Nature intended.
    My take on Ruger SP101 and GP100 triggers: They are like the old BMW airhead engines that, when new needed some miles on them to mate the parts and smooth things out. Once you get some trigger time and “miles on your GP100’s odometer”, I bet the trigger will be nice. If you don’t have time for all that, you can speed up the process with the stoning, sanding a few parts and swapping springs or having a Gunsmith do it as well—no shame in that. Make sure to monitor for light primer strikes when/if you do some spring swapping

Tar
    It actually seems a little better today after a lot of dry firing, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. It's certainly a different-feeling trigger than my 6-shot model. I'm thinking about sending this one into Gemini to have them work their magic on it, should it prove reliable in my vetting process first.

Gemini

You can do no wrong with Gemini Custom. Man they do beautiful work.

It actually seems a little better today after a lot of dry firing, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. It's certainly a different-feeling trigger than my 6-shot model. I'm thinking about sending this one into Gemini to have them work their magic on it, should it prove reliable in my vetting process first.
    The 7-shot GP100 trigger feels different because it is different. The geometry and timing are different, and that affects how the trigger feels. I have a 7-shot GP100, as well as S&W 7-shot 686's, and they all feel different from their 6-shot counterparts--so different, that I find I have to dry fire a bit with the 7-shots to get acclimated to them before trying to work those triggers at speed. If the gun works I would leave it alone, and just get used to the different feel. An action job will just give you a better feeling 7-shot trigger, it won't make it feel just like an equally well tuned 6-shot trigger.

User Tag List