Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zimbabwe says foreign white farmers can apply to get back seized land.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Will they rename it Rhodesia?

About when you put the queen back on your money
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    2020 isn't over yet.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Aaaaw, come back, baby! I won't hit you no mo', I promise.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Everywhere in Africa in recent years where the government seized white farmers' land to repatriate and distribute to blacks, the result is people in the community starving because the new black farmers, with zero experience in running a farm, were not able to run a farm and could not produce food.

As it turns out, farming isn't as easy as being legal owner of the land, in the eyes of the government.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Name:  QUEEN.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  11.2 KB

Name:  QUEEN2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  18.5 KB
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

What is this, the third time around?

Back in 93 when I toured Zimbabwe (my GF family was from there) there were plenty of white farmers that returned to their land waay after Mugabe took office, and many were doing VERY well financially.

I think the government took their land again one or twice since then. Not so nicely in most cases.

Now I think the government plans to lease you your own land for a long term (up to 100 years?) to atract white farmers again. The ownership part is debatable, since it was appropriated from indigenous people not so long ago and those people are the overwhelming majority of the population.

It may be worth a try, since poor countries have benefits and quotas for export and the country itself badly needs the food. In a few years you could get a handsome return, but of course I would not trust the government to keep up their part of the deal on the long term.

Check this:

Zimbabwe compensates white farmers with billions
    Zimbabwe's President Mnangagwa is cleaning up the legacy of his predecessor Mugabe: The state is compensating white farmers who were evicted during the great land reform of the 2000s. But many problems remain unsolved.

https://www.dw.com/en/zimbabwe-compe...ons/a-54395238

And this

@BigT can weigh in on this, but I understand farmers are under literal and legal attacks in South Africa, could Zimbabwe's offer appeal to them? If you can re-write your country's constitution to justify seizing land without compensation (which I understand Mugabe did), who could reasonably have faith in any offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    @BigT can weigh in on this, but I understand farmers are under literal and legal attacks in South Africa, could Zimbabwe's offer appeal to them? If you can re-write your country's constitution to justify seizing land without compensation (which I understand Mugabe did), who could reasonably have faith in any offer?
    I would not...

Anywhere in Africa

Better make your investment pay in the short term because the future is anyone's guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post

After the attacks in Zim of the early 2000's I don't think too many farmers here would want to chance it. While gov is working to change the constitution here to also allow them to take land without compensation , for now they own it.

Bear in mind just like most of you guys feel about the land of your birth, is how many people outside the US feel about theirs, and while the desire to leave gets stronger and stronger there remains a draw.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List