Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 387: Modified LAPD D-Platoon Qual

G45 from low ready.
    3 runs, 311, 320, 329.
    Erred high today for some reason. Great use of 36 rounds, and a quick walk-on self check.
    What's a "good" score on this, by PF standards?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    G45 from low ready.
    3 runs, 311, 320, 329.
    Erred high today for some reason. Great use of 36 rounds, and a quick walk-on self check.
    What's a "good" score on this, by PF standards?
    Dobbs says 90%, so we'll go with that - 324 then.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Our SWAT qual demands 90 percent performance to be considered for selection.

It's much much easier than this course of fire.

I would doubt there would be too many of my coworkers that could shoot this to 90 percent as the time restraints at 25 yards would blow many minds here. The failure drills would also be tough on many. Missing that 3x5 would be the norm here and not the exception.

I ran it from holstered in my duty pistol. I would think that even letting the cops here run it from "ready gun/low ready" the scores would be abysmal due to the 25 yard line scares the urine out of the troops. Hits off paper (Q target) and "my gun shoots left" are very much a thing a qualifications.

I think I'd be happy if I could routinely make 90 or better on this.....particularly "cold" and from holstered.

I like this drill more and more and wish that I had more 9mm on hand to play around with it.

I shot this this morning with some 22s. A S&W M&P 22 Compact and a S&W 43c. All from low ready. I kept losing track of how many reps while I was trying to manage ammo. I think I had a 309 with the Compact. It would have been a 315 if I had used the full B-8 repair instead of the printed one. I drug out a box of bulk Federal from the Obama administration to shoot. It doesn't hit exactly like the Mini Mags I prefer, but I though I'd save them. I had some high hits. When I was done I noticed that the rear sight screw on the Compact was backing out. I'll try this again, maybe with a real gun. The 43c did well from 15 yards in, but that bead sight is hard to shoot at distance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Our SWAT qual demands 90 percent performance to be considered for selection.

It's much much easier than this course of fire.

I would doubt there would be too many of my coworkers that could shoot this to 90 percent as the time restraints at 25 yards would blow many minds here. The failure drills would also be tough on many. Missing that 3x5 would be the norm here and not the exception.

I ran it from holstered in my duty pistol. I would think that even letting the cops here run it from "ready gun/low ready" the scores would be abysmal due to the 25 yard line scares the urine out of the troops. Hits off paper (Q target) and "my gun shoots left" are very much a thing a qualifications.

I think I'd be happy if I could routinely make 90 or better on this.....particularly "cold" and from holstered.

I like this drill more and more and wish that I had more 9mm on hand to play around with it.
    So start running them on the course. Do it as it was designed - from a low ready. The times are neither generous or liberal, they are just designed to learn a pace of shooting operational shots to an absolute no miss standard. Darryl had his folks doing it constantly and started seeing regular guys making the headshots in actual shootings. I think it's one of the most useful courses of fire to check on competence and to teach a pace of fire for given distances.

Also, keep in mind that this is D Platoon Qual A, which is all low ready. Qual B is from the holster, with different time standards, although with many of the same tasks.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Last edited by 1slow; 09-18-2020 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    So start running them on the course. Do it as it was designed - from a low ready. The times are neither generous or liberal, they are just designed to learn a pace of shooting operational shots to an absolute no miss standard. Darryl had his folks doing it constantly and started seeing regular guys making the headshots in actual shootings. I think it's one of the most useful courses of fire to check on competence and to teach a pace of fire for given distances.

Also, keep in mind that this is D Platoon Qual A, which is all low ready. Qual B is from the holster, with different time standards, although with many of the same tasks.
    I'm afraid I'm pretty low on the totem pole here.

The department trains to pass the qual. Earlier this year I did get to attend the one shooting course that was offered and they had some good drills (Pat Mac stuff) and I pray they keep advancing in a good direction.

There's a couple of us though that are going to incorporate this and Qual B in our future training.

Wayne, or anyone who would know the answer, why a whole qual shot from low ready? Is it because a SWAT team is a more proactive unit and as such more likely to have their guns out of the holster when the crap happens? Or some other reason that I am not smart enough to see? (quite likely)

5" m&p 2.0 w/ 1.0 core upper and holosun 407v2
    Dsg Orion
    under a hooded sweatshirt
    hands up/surrender/fence start position

Total - 309

25 - 3.19(9/7) 2.91(9/8) 3.09(9/m) -18
    15 - 2.44(10/10) 2.66(10/10) 2.54(9/10) -1
    10 - 2.96(10/9/m) 3.20(10/10/10) -11
    7 - 2.50(10/10/10) 2.75(10/9/9) -2
    5 - 2.54(10/10/9) 2.24(10/9/8) -14(-10 for ot shot)
    3 - 1.74(10/10/8) 1.95(10/9/8) -5

Average run at 25, a miss screwed it up. Best score to date at fifteen. The lower hits at ten were great but the miss on the 3x5 made it my worst yet. Seven yards was solid. At five I am happy with the shooting but was a bit slow and had an OT hit that I'm not too concerned about. I showed improvement at three as far as getting all my hits and being under time. Still enjoying this as my centerfire check to the rimfire schedule I'm running until next year when I see what the ammo situation is.

While I lack the consistency to hit 90%, I'm consistent in my foul ups putting me in the 30x range regularly.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Thanks for clarifying this - could you post the complete Qual B standards? I seem to recall the Qual B times are the Qual A standards with a second added for the draw, but wasn't sure. (E.g. the 7 yard standard goes from 3 seconds to 4 seconds with a holster start).

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Wayne, or anyone who would know the answer, why a whole qual shot from low ready? Is it because a SWAT team is a more proactive unit and as such more likely to have their guns out of the holster when the crap happens? Or some other reason that I am not smart enough to see? (quite likely)
    For what it's worth, the most recent revision to the FBI qualification added a number of ready position starts, whereas the older versions of the qualification had all starts from the holster. I understand the reasoning is that in most shootings the Agent had the firearm already drawn, and the decision was to make the qualification reflect this trend. Of course, this reasoning is debatable, and the change had its share of detractors.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List