Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 387: Modified LAPD D-Platoon Qual

Gen5 G19 w/507c from the ready
    335/360
    Most of my points were dropped at the 25 along with a couple of called fliers at the 15. (one 7, one 8) All times were a fair amount under par. I would really love to get where I could shoot this all in the black, which obviously means more work at the 25.

I shot this twice today wearing full “raid gear:” duty belt, body armor, and helmet. I shot from the low ready as described by Wayne Dobbs. I was using a G19-5 with Ameriglo Bold sights.

The first attempt I did it as my first shooting of the day. Things went poorly. I missed the B8 4/6 times at 25y (all slightly low and left of the 8.5”x11” paper). I also missed the paper once completely at 15y. Then I missed both head shots at the 10y line and one at the 7y line. Final score was 243/360.

I tried again at the end of my range session and did much better after being warmed up. I still missed the B8 completely once at 25y and still missed a head shot at 10y but the final score was 304/360.

As usual, I was awful at making the best use of the available time. I shot each 25y string under 3s and almost every 15y string under 2s. I have a difficult time gauging time when I’m shooting and I’m always worried that I will take too long so I rush.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I have a difficult time gauging time when I’m shooting and I’m always worried that I will take too long so I rush.
    Historically, I've had the same issue. I just have to focus hard on doing what is necessary with shooting for the hits rather than the time and being ok with having a hit over time as opposed to a miss under par. While it's rather obvious while talking about it, I find that in practice we all want to hit the par regardless and it took a mental switch to actually apply it. And I have to remind myself throughout the drill/practice session when I start to slip toward a bad rep chasing times etc...

That being said, it's still something I struggle with and easily find myself slipping back if I don't monitor myself mentally.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Historically, I've had the same issue. I just have to focus hard on doing what is necessary with shooting for the hits rather than the time and being ok with having a hit over time as opposed to a miss under par. While it's rather obvious while talking about it, I find that in practice we all want to hit the par regardless and it took a mental switch to actually apply it. And I have to remind myself throughout the drill/practice session when I start to slip toward a bad rep chasing times etc...

That being said, it's still something I struggle with and easily find myself slipping back if I don't monitor myself mentally.
    I know what I’ll be working on during my next practice session.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Tried this drill today, and I liked it. Shooting a Walther P99AS from low ready, first shot of each 2-3 shot string DA. I impressed the heck out of myself at 25, keeping 5 of 6 in the black and dropping one low into the 7 ring, well under par time. I actually did better at 25 than at 15, as I think I was rushing my shots a little more at 15. I screwed up when I moved up to 10 yards though, and shot 3 strings instead of 2 at both 10 and 7, so I compensated by doing only one each at 5 and 3 to maintain the proper overall round count. I ended up missing the 3x5 twice with a couple of low shots. I had three others that cut the bottom of the card with one that just just barely smudged the edge but I'm counting it . I managed to make par on every string. I did a quick tabulation of my "unofficial" score and ended up with 307 (85 percent), although my course of fire was a little bastardized so it doesn't really count. I was encouraged enough by my performance to want to keep working at it. I think 90 percent is a realistic goal for me with some more practice.

Site Supporter
    Some folks have asked about D Platoon's Qual B. I'm not going to hijack this thread by posting it. If you want it, please PM me with an email address.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

This is an awesome qual. I shot it with my PX4CC from low ready and failed, but really liked the emphasis on failure drills and shooting cadence at different ranges.

See photo for results (279) and to check my math. It took some hunting to find the 25th hole in the B-8.

Name:  E99F1349-A5B1-40A3-8B08-FFF23FF9EFA9.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  35.0 KB

Two of the missed shots in the neckline area were the very first string at 25 - a distance where the CAP sights can be challenging for me, often throwing shots high. The rest of the misses were head shots I pulled low. I also subtracted 10 points each for overtime shots at 15 and 5.

Overall, I need to work on marksmanship fundamentals for the longer ranges and faster transitions to accurate head shots at the middle distances.

Finished the session shooting the Five Yard Roundup a couple of times. The second run was a 94 - probably a tie for my best ever - and this was with my .38 LCR. Happy to call it a night on that note.

Name:  1F82D25C-692B-480A-9994-E0EB264EB1E4.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  30.8 KB
    Last edited by Gun Nerd; 09-23-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Ran this drill twice this week. First time was with a 92FS w/.22 conversion kit. Second time was with my “M9A2”

I all were shot from low ready position and I was able to make all par times.

Using the .22 my overall score was a 281 with 6 misses.

Name:  6D891A67-5D93-4483-941C-4F580882CCF7.jpeg
Views: 380
Size:  94.1 KB

Switching to 9mm and the score was a 318 (328 if Santa Clause is scoring Head Shots).

Name:  34FAB0AC-DC7B-4DB5-B1AA-8FABB2E369E3.jpeg
Views: 396
Size:  81.0 KB

Kind of surprised at the delta between the two runs. My “M9A2” has a Langdon trigger but my .22 gun shoots pretty well as my misses were clearly misses and outside them the grouping is good. Maybe it is just my first run but I think it might be due to a subconscious willingness to be sloppy when shooting .22.

I shot this a few times yesterday.

S&W M&P 22 Compact. I used SK Pistol Match ammo and adjusted the sights some more. I now have it driving the dot like my Glocks. I didn't score it. Nothing to brag about on the Net.

G-19 2 tries. 301 and a 307. The trigger on my G-19 is much better than the M&P Compact. I threw the first 2 shots at 25. Sort of the surprise break we hear about.

CZ-P01 2 tries. 311 and a 307.

All my tries had shots off the B-8 at 25 and I pulled some 3x5 hits low. Everything was shot from ready.

Nomad 9/glock 19 gen 5 upper holosun 507c. From an enigma with a haven defense holster. Under a button down shirt.

Total Score - 324

25 - 2.94(9,miss low left on paper), 3.02(10,8), 2.81(7,miss low right on paper) - 34/60

15 - 2.64(9,7), 2.53(10,8), 2.53(9,8) - 51/60

10 - 2.96(10,10,10), 2.93(10,10,10) - 60/60

7 - 2.66(10,10,10), 2.72(10,10,10) - 60/60

5 - 2.47(10,10,10), 2.41(10,10,10) - 60/60

3 - 1.77(10,10,9), 1.91(10,10,10) - 59/60

I have ran this pretty regularly since this thread. I have a fair amount of data for myself on various guns and I run it both from the ready (the HiTS fellas talked about the importance of this drill on either Weems podcast or On Duty/Off Duty but I can't remember, and I started also running it from the ready after listening to that conversation) and the holster.

The best I have done from the holster is a 240 but generally getting the 90% that Wayne mentioned earlier in this thread is a challenge. Having met that today, despite having two misses at 25, with a new gun on the first range session with it, is pretty good for where my skillset lies currently. Definitely one of my favorite tests to run and I don't see that stopping any time soon. Definitely give this one a shot if you haven't yet and finding the podcast in which they discuss the drill is also worth the time of finding it.(not this exact variant but the d platoon qual in general)

I mistakenly wrote 224 on the paper but it's a 324.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List