Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone her daily carry a Glock 30?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Have you gone to the G21 for a duty weapon?
    No, I’m carrying my old Gen3 G17 And playing around a lot with a Gen5 MOS with an RMR.

I carried my G21 as a duty gun from 2006 to 2009 when I was able to switch to a 1911 and then again for bit right before I started using the G17.

I’ve always loved the G21 though.

Occasionally I'll carry my G30s but not that often ever since I was issued a G45.

My 30s has been totally reliable. I did own a G30 back when they first came out and it was totally reliable as well. I found it a tad heavy to carry concealed but that may have been my poor choice of belts back in the day when I was more ignorant.

Regards.

Too late to edit my original response, but wanted to add that my carry experience with the 30 and 30s were completely limited to OWB holsters. I think the 30s in a dedicated IWB holster might be OK, but the uber-wide slide of the 30 IWB was NOT workable for me. YMMV, of course.

I mostly carried mine IWB between 3-4 o'clock. I had a very early Comp-Tac kydex j-hook IWB. With two magazines on the opposite side, it was an easy grab-and-go setup that hid ok.

My challenge with hiding under a shirt is usually the bottom of the grip and the back of the slide. The extra thickness compared to Glock 19 didn't matter for me. There were enough extra holes on my belt that it worked ok.

I don't carry a .45ACP much anymore, but have carried an old G30 (no rail; pre-SF models); a G30Gen4; or a G30SF (still have this one).

I had no problems carrying either IWB or OWB (even had a shoulder holster at one time). It's just heavier and wider than my 9mm Glocks (models 26, 19, or 17; I've got other 9mm Glocks just don't usually carry them) which are now my EDC guns.

If I stayed a .45ACP guy, I probably would still be carrying a G30 variant. Years ago, I might have even carried a G21SF or full-size 1911 instead of the G30. Back then, I was issued and had to carry a .40 for work, but didn't like the caliber much and didn't even own 9mm.

I regularly carried a 10mm G29, the G30’s dimensional twin, for a short time, in the mid-2004-ish time frame, after I tossed-out the aftermarket RSA that the previous owner had installed. With a stock Glock RSA, it ran totally reliably. Being the original version, it was just too chunky for an ideal fit, which prevented a proper trigger finger placement while maintaining a proper grip, so I sold or traded it, with plans to eventually acquire the Short Frame version, when I could get one, so I kept my magazines and the one holster I had used, a Galco Concealable. (This was before the Gen4, and its swap-able backstrap system, though as I type this, I am not certain whether or not there is a Gen4 G29, as I have never seen one, or noticed a write-up.)

I never got over my mistrust of .40 S&W in Glocks, even after I swapped for magazine springs that provided acceptable reliability, and as soon as I saw and heard good reports on SIG’s DAK, I switched to a P229 DAK as a duty pistol, in late 2004, and soon dumped my several G22 Glocks. (I had to use .40 S&W, while in uniform, during that time.) This put the G29 idea on a back burner, but I never totally got away from the idea of adding a newer-version G29, and this eventually extended to the G30.

By now, however, these would have to be lefty-only pistols, as my aging right thumb, hand, and wrist cannot tolerate the recoil of short-gripped 9mm pistols, such as the G19. I actually shoot Glocks a bit better lefty, even though I still regard my right hip as the location of my “primary” handgun. (Short version: I am left-handed, but right-armed, functionally ambidextrous with most handguns, and chose to carry at 0300, during the police academy, in 1983-1984.)

Final answer: I developed a favorable opinion of the G29, which is the dimensional twin of the G30. As other replies indicated, it carries about like a G19.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

The G30S is a pretty practical little package. As mentioned above, like the standard G30 it cam pinch the pinky (depending on hand size). My original 30 did this. I modified my 30S by undercutting the trigger guard and removing the finger groove. Now I have a just slightly higher grip, don't get pinched at all and have a little control during recoil.

I don't often carry the 30S IWB, but it will fit some G19 holsters and I have found little practical difference in carrying the two. My primary purpose for the gun is a dual purpose gun. Something that fits the bill for defense against animals and criminals, as well as a general purpose shooting piece. It works very well in that role. It actually works quite well as an all around semi auto handgun in general, if one does not want a 9mm for whatever reason.

CHEERS!

A Glock 30 was one if the first carry guns I owned and the first pistol that I started experimenting with AIWB with. I owned a couple Gen 3’s, a Gen 3 SF, and a Gen 4. The SF was the only one that ever gave me issues. If I was issued a 21 I would consider carrying one daily. But the real answer is if I wanted a Glock that size to carry it would be a 26 or 19. The advantages of a 9mm that size are difficult to ignore.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I carried GL30s in IWB @ 3:00 and AIWB for 5+ years. Shot 10,000 rounds a year starting about 1998.

Always reloaded with 13 rd GL21 mags to eliminate mag pinch of XL hands on reloads.

Very accurate and reliable. Later went 9mm as ammo improved.

I recall @Mas being a very big fan of his. I always thought they were neat but don’t have the hand size for it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List