Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone her daily carry a Glock 30?

When ammo improved I went to GL17s, GL19s.

To me the main issue with GL30 is that the back of the grip is so short all recoil is into thumb joint. With GL 19, 17 ,21 etc.. the heel of your palm takes a lot of the impact saving your thumb.
    When I did 4000 rounds in 4 days: 2 with Paul Gomez, 2 with Andy Stanford, I had had enough for a while.

I had a Glock 30s that I actually carried IWB with one of those weird trigger guard scabbards that were briefly popular (Hell, they may still be, I stopped paying attention when everybody started carrying guns pointing at their goodies). It was a fairly impressive gun. It was a pretty handy way to carry a big bore pistol. I ultimately got bored with it. I remember it being an easy shooter.

I carried one for a couple years. The gun shot pretty soft with non +P ammo. I preferred it at the time, as the G19 felt awkward in my hand (Gen 4 fixed that for me). The gun was very reliable (With proper ammo) after upgrading the trigger bar (firing pin skipped on FOS).

One thing concerning, though never showed to be an issue, was the total lack of chamber support. It appears the ramp ends at the case mouth. Mine is an older model, before they added a rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I regularly carried a 10mm G29, the G30’s dimensional twin, for a short time, in the mid-2004-ish time frame, after I tossed-out the aftermarket RSA that the previous owner had installed. With a stock Glock RSA, it ran totally reliably. Being the original version, it was just too chunky for an ideal fit, which prevented a proper trigger finger placement while maintaining a proper grip, so I sold or traded it, with plans to eventually acquire the Short Frame version, when I could get one, so I kept my magazines and the one holster I had used, a Galco Concealable. (This was before the Gen4, and its swap-able backstrap system, though as I type this, I am not certain whether or not there is a Gen4 G29, as I have never seen one, or noticed a write-up.)

I never got over my mistrust of .40 S&W in Glocks, even after I swapped for magazine springs that provided acceptable reliability, and as soon as I saw and heard good reports on SIG’s DAK, I switched to a P229 DAK as a duty pistol, in late 2004, and soon dumped my several G22 Glocks. (I had to use .40 S&W, while in uniform, during that time.) This put the G29 idea on a back burner, but I never totally got away from the idea of adding a newer-version G29, and this eventually extended to the G30.

By now, however, these would have to be lefty-only pistols, as my aging right thumb, hand, and wrist cannot tolerate the recoil of short-gripped 9mm pistols, such as the G19. I actually shoot Glocks a bit better lefty, even though I still regard my right hip as the location of my “primary” handgun. (Short version: I am left-handed, but right-armed, functionally ambidextrous with most handguns, and chose to carry at 0300, during the police academy, in 1983-1984.)

Final answer: I developed a favorable opinion of the G29, which is the dimensional twin of the G30. As other replies indicated, it carries about like a G19.
    Well, I found a G30s, Short Frame, in the display case at a police equipment dealer in Houston, Texas, yesterday. Today, I went back and bought it. As I mentioned in my previous post, the pre-Short Frame, pre-rail G29 was just a bit too large for my hands. Well, the Short Frame is a wonderful fit, perhaps the best fit of any Glock. in my left hand. My right hand is a less-comfortable fit, but I don’t plan to use this one righty. (A G19 will cause actual injury, if I shoot it righty; I only shoot full-sized, “orthopedic” Glocks right-handed.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I always thought this was cool, chopping the 21 down to use the 30 mag with a 21 base.

http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I carried and shot a GL30 for some years about 10K rounds a year. Very accurate, easy to conceal FBI IWB or AIWB reloaded with GL21 mags to avoid pinch.

Only problem, unlike a GL19 the backstrap is short enough that almost all recoil was into the base of the thumb of the shooting hand. The modified GL 21 in the previous looks to cure this.

I really noticed this when I did 2 days with Andy Stanford, 2 days with Paul Gomez, 2000 rounds in 4 days.

I have the late wife’s 21.2 that is kept for sentimental reasons, and a 41 that I picked up when I came back to Glock which is a favorite carry pistol. I used to have a 36, but it wasn’t reliable for me and was traded to a friend who had no problems with it.

What I want is a 30S.5. We’ll see if that arrives before the pony and flying car I requested.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post

What I want is a 30S.5. We’ll see if that arrives before the pony and flying car I requested.
    You and I both! That would be a nice machine and would be the most likely way for Glock to get more pocket money from me.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    You and I both! That would be a nice machine and would be the most likely way for Glock to get more pocket money from me.
    What I want from Glock is a TRUE G19-sized .45. There's no reason to use the needlessly truncated grip frame of the 30/30S then mate it to an extended magazine that gives you the rest of the missing grip. And the Gen4/5 grip texture and no fingergrooves. That would be a great 50-state solution "outdoors" pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    What I want from Glock is a TRUE G19-sized .45. There's no reason to use the needlessly truncated grip frame of the 30/30S then mate it to an extended magazine that gives you the rest of the missing grip. And the Gen4/5 grip texture and no fingergrooves. That would be a great 50-state solution "outdoors" pistol...
    Can’t argue with any of that…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List